action not opening all the way .

Doitwithstyle

hi all , 

Brought  a very cheap over and under 

every thing is fine with it. 

However the action doesn't seem to open all the way . unless you pull the barrel open a little more . ( feel like a little tension pulling them back up just a small bit )

basically the bottom shell catches the action . unless you pull the barrel down when you load and unload. 

tbh not the end of the world as i said it cost me pence. just seeing if was a simple fix . or if any one else has had the same problem . 

thanks 

I have found this with a few cheap o/u and sxs over the years. One of the gunsmiths will doubtless tell you the cause but I think I was once told it is down to poor jointing. May be a cheap fix for someone in the trade.

One trick is to hold the stock very slightly up in the air at an angle so the forward weight of the barrels pulls the gun fully open. Worked on some cheap guns I had. Fortunately I have gravitated to better quality where it is not a problem.

Good luck

22 minutes ago, old'un said:

Possibly mainspring tension on the cocking dog, easy fix with an angle grinder……no only joking.

Not the craziest idea. Baikal shotguns are notorious for having stiff ejector springs. When I first got mine it was stiff as anything to open. With gravity you’d catch the bottom half of the bottom cartridge. Took quite a bit of force to get it fully opened. The usual trick was to take  the ejector springs out and trim a few coils. Alternatively you could swap them for another spring. On mine I used the dremmel to take off four coils and it was perfect. It also didn’t eject the spent cartridges 20’ when opening the gun. 

Rick

When you open the gun, cocking levers are operated by the fall of the barrels to cock the mainsprings.  If the mainsprings are fully cocked before the gun is fully open, there is some further travel 'overcocking' the mainsprings - hence the spring feel.  This is an annoying trait.

It can be adjusted by altering the cocking levers ........ but if it isn't dome right, other problems can occur - notably the locks don't cock unless the gun is opened absolutely full travel, or the locks don't begin to be cocked as the barrels begin to drop; this can lead in some designs to the lower barrel striker 'dragging', making the gun difficult to open.

I have had two guns with this issue - one was easily corrected by minor bending of the cocking levers.  The other (different design of cocking lever) my gunsmith advised was best left alone as it was very slight and there was a risk getting 'out of the frying pan into the fire'.

Tightening the forend will help relieve the problem but nit cure it . This is the norm for most Italian O/Us and its something you have to live with To be honest if its a cheap gun then its not worth trying to have it adjusted as the time / labour spent on doing so will be far more than you want to spend and having had some experience of this kind of work it can run into more problems than its worth taking on .

11 minutes ago, Gunman said:

This is the norm for most Italian O/Us and its something you have to live with To be honest if its a cheap gun then its not worth trying to have it adjusted as the time / labour spent on doing so will be far more than you want to spend and having had some experience of this kind of work it can run into more problems than its worth taking on .

That is pretty much exactly what I was told about my Beretta.

6 hours ago, Gunman said:

Tightening the forend will help relieve the problem but nit cure it . This is the norm for most Italian O/Us and its something you have to live with To be honest if its a cheap gun then its not worth trying to have it adjusted as the time / labour spent on doing so will be far more than you want to spend and having had some experience of this kind of work it can run into more problems than its worth taking on .

I've had 3 Berettas and they all did it. I now have a Guerini and an Arramberri O/U and they both do it too. You get used to it in no time.

1 minute ago, Westward said:

I've had 3 Berettas and they all did it. I now have a Guerini and an Arramberri O/U and they both do it too. You get used to it in no time.

Interesting, I have two Berettas, one does it (S57EL), one doesn't (SO6).  I have two Merkels (models 203E and 303E) and neither do it (now).

6 minutes ago, Westward said:

The SO guns are quite different from the everyday Berettas and well out of my budget.

Well out of mine as well now, but although always expensive, at one time they were much more 'affordable' than they are now.  I have owned mine for many years.