Cogswell and Harrison accesories

silver pigeon69

Hi,

I have a Cogswell and Harrison 1902 and would like to try and get the accesories that were supplied in the motor case.

I believe they had:

1. A chamber brush

2. An Oil bottle

3. Snap caps

4. Striker pot

Is there anythig else that was in the case?

Where these items Brass? (gold colour) or silver? i think they were Brass, but have changed some time since.

What would the striker pot be used for?

I will put a wanted ad up, when i find out the info, but if you think you have one of the above pls pm me.

Thanks,

SP

IMG_1422.JPG.7462afe020906499702dcb00387a2c7d.JPG

A set of ebonite rods, usually under the barrels and held in with a small brass swivel catch. The accessories in my Westley case are silver (chrome) metal, the snap caps and oil bottle have the makers name on. I have added the ebonite rods later after buying them at a gun auction. I never use the accessories,  they are lightly oiled and stay in the leather gun case. An option is to find a picture of a named accessory, like the oil bottle. Copy the picture, then engrave a retro bottle and snap caps  IF the items are no longer available. (just be aware of any copyright infringements !) .  You can buy 'retro' case labels, so I can not see an issue with 'copying' an accessory.  

40 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

What would the striker pot be used for?

The clue is in the name. They were for keeping a spare set of strikers. You can obtain `named` ones from Cogswell & Harrison, albeit they periodically show up on ebay or other auction sites. Have a look at `Holts` auctioneers as they often throw up named oil bottles, chamber brushes etc in their auctions.

Edited by JJsDad

18 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

The clue is in the name. They were for keeping a spare set of strikers. You can obtain `named` ones from Cogswell & Harrison, albeit they periodically show up on ebay or other auction sites. Have a look at `Holts` auctioneers as they often throw up named oil bottles, chamber brushes etc in their auctions.

Is a striker a firing pin? The pin that strikes the cartridge?

Edited by silver pigeon69

5 minutes ago, old'un said:

What type of gun is it? Can we see some pictures please.

Extra Quality Victor, 12b Ornamental sideplates, Avant Tout ejectors, single trigger (factory option)

(Have a look in your gunroom Old'un, sure you must have some bits??)

This is the only photo i have handy at the moment

cogswell.jpeg.b970f1ec387edeed3193742d7d36ed16.jpeg

18 minutes ago, silver pigeon69 said:

Is a striker a firing pin? The pin that strikes the cartridge?

Yes, this is a play on names. Strikers are in fact another name for the firing pin. However before you rush out and buy a striker pot its only really any good if the gun has replaceable strikers and you have a set !!  You have not said if the gun is a boxlock or a sidelock ?  In many boxlock guns the striker was integeral with the tumbler (or hammer) and therefore could not readily be replaced. Most sidelocks have seperate strikers that can be removed via a threaded disc in the standing breech or by removing the locks and removing the striker retaining pin. As Westley has hinted, you can end up splashing out a load of money in your search for originality. A striker pot is just an empty pot unless you invest in a spare set of strikers.

Sorry cant help with any bits, I sold nearly all my guns 9 months ago.

I have seen a couple of those guns and all the accessories were silver, if you want some info on the history of the gun C&H have very extensive records on most of their guns, they can in some instances tell you who engraved the gun.

Does the single trigger work ok?

45 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Most sidelocks have seperate strikers that can be removed via a threaded disc in the standing breech or by removing the locks and removing the striker retaining pin.

These are known as 'disc set strikers'.  If the gun is fitted with these, the tools in the case would probably have included a suitable pin spanner tool.  Be aware that these are not a standard size (i.e. one made by Purdey won't fit discs on a Henry Atkin to quote two that used disc set strikers).

Note that not all sidelocks have disc set strikers and some boxlocks do.  If you want to see some in a more easily accessible guns, AyAs have them.

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Sorry cant help with any bits, I sold nearly all my guns 9 months ago.

I have seen a couple of those guns and all the accessories were silver, if you want some info on the history of the gun C&H have very extensive records on most of their guns, they can in some instances tell you who engraved the gun.

Does the single trigger work ok?

Yes it works fine, although it only comes out once in a while! I have heard that some of them have problems, but touch wood, nothing yet!

The original photo, shows a red inlaid case with brass accesories. My case has green. Did they make both/different colours? Did they make brass and chrome accesories?

Is there a way (apart from the copy makers label) that i can tell if my case is a C & H? and not any old case with a label stuck on? My gun is only a year younger (1902 4th Nov) but the cases look very different.

No doubt someone may step in and give you a firm answer, but what I was led to believe is that like there were barrel makers, lock makers etc, there were case makers.  They supplied the trade - and Cogswell and Harrison may have bought 20 cases from maker A and 30 cases from maker B - according to what was available and at what price.  The following year they may have bought all cases from company C.  Also, I have seen guns with lots of accessories (turnscrews, disc set striker tool, one or two oil bottles, bone handled brush for under the extractors, mainspring cramps etc.) and similar ones with far fewer.  If built to order, no doubt the original customer got to specify.  Original cases were often tailor fitted (i.e. a snug fit to the original stock dimensions) and the stock may have since been altered .......

I think there are various colours and you would have had whatever was in stock then (maroon and green seem to be the most common, but I have seen blue and bright red).  If you wanted a particular colour, anything could be done if someone would pay for it ...... I have also seen leather and velvet rather than felt .......

Edited by JohnfromUK

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

No doubt someone may step in and give you a firm answer, but what I was led to believe is that like there were barrel makers, lock makers etc, there were case makers.  They supplied the trade - and Cogswell and Harrison may have bought 20 cases from maker A and 30 cases from maker B - according to what was available and at what price.  The following year they may have bought all cases from company C.  Also, I have seen guns with lots of accessories (turnscrews, disc set striker tool, one or two oil bottles, bone handled brush for under the extractors, mainspring cramps etc.) and similar ones with far fewer.  If built to order, no doubt the original customer got to specify

That would make sense. My case looks quite minimal with only holes for snap caps.

A few years ago, I made a similar effort to case an old Cogswell and complete the set with all the accessories. After having the gun restored, I i tracked down a case with a lable with the correct date and adress on, and had it relined and made to fit the gun - although the chap who did it (quite reasonably priced and made a wonderful job of it) relined it in dark green instead of the orifinal shade of red. Accsessory wise, I have a pair of chrome C&H snap caps which were not particulerly difficult to acquire - and then as for the rest (an oil bottle and cleaning rods) I found unnamed contempory victorian ones. While Iike you I started out after a perfect reproduction of what was in the case when the gun was new, I ended up with something not 100% original, but nevertheless something that makes me smile whenever I use it.

I'll get the gun out of the safe in a bit and post a few photos of them togeather to give you an idea of what I'm banging on about.

Silverpigeon,

In your fourth post you show a photograph of your gun , look closely at the action buttresses and you will see a small vented screw. This is usually a breech face vent screw that often doubles as a locking screw for disc set strikers , so it is a good indicator that you may need a striker bottle + spare strikers as accessories.

A good source for accessories is Toby Barclay at Heritage Guns .

If you require anything specific give me a pm.

47 minutes ago, PeterHenry said:

A few years ago, I made a similar effort to case an old Cogswell and complete the set with all the accessories. After having the gun restored, I i tracked down a case with a lable with the correct date and adress on, and had it relined and made to fit the gun - although the chap who did it (quite reasonably priced and made a wonderful job of it) relined it in dark green instead of the orifinal shade of red. Accsessory wise, I have a pair of chrome C&H snap caps which were not particulerly difficult to acquire - and then as for the rest (an oil bottle and cleaning rods) I found unnamed contempory victorian ones. While Iike you I started out after a perfect reproduction of what was in the case when the gun was new, I ended up with something not 100% original, but nevertheless something that makes me smile whenever I use it.

I'll get the gun out of the safe in a bit and post a few photos of them togeather to give you an idea of what I'm banging on about.

This is basically what I want to do. Not that fussed about getting original C&H but something that looks similar and like you say, makes me smile when I look at it

Would love to see pics!

13 minutes ago, Salopian said:

Silverpigeon,

In your fourth post you show a photograph of your gun , look closely at the action buttresses and you will see a small vented screw. This is usually a breech face vent screw that often doubles as a locking screw for disc set strikers , so it is a good indicator that you may need a striker bottle + spare strikers as accessories.

A good source for accessories is Toby Barclay at Heritage Guns .

If you require anything specific give me a pm.

Thank you. I will pm you. 

Having now seen your photo`s, the numbering "1" on the top lever suggests this gun was No 1 of a pair. While not mandatory, a pair of guns would normally be supplied in a double case ! This in turn suggests that your current case is not the original. As others have already indicated, case making was then, as now, a trade in its own right with the gunmaker fitting his own trade label and often the gun details once the case was fitted out to accept the gun(s) and accessories.

A pair of guns from 1902 suggests the original purchaser was a gentleman who was not short of a few shillings and may well have opted for more than a pair of snap caps.

2 minutes ago, JJsDad said:

Having now seen your photo`s, the numbering "1" on the top lever suggests this gun was No 1 of a pair. While not mandatory, a pair of guns would normally be supplied in a double case ! This in turn suggests that your current case is not the original. As others have already indicated, case making was then, as now, a trade in its own right with the gunmaker fitting his own trade label and often the gun details once the case was fitted out to accept the gun(s) and accessories.

A pair of guns from 1902 suggests the original purchaser was a gentleman who was not short of a few shillings and may well have opted for more than a pair of snap caps.

I think your right about the pair and case. 

I have done a little digging ( I am getting the info from C&H ) and my gun number was on a gun matching website. I contacted them and they said it was a very old listing but they would try and pass the details on. Not that I want to sell it but it would be nice to try and get number two(if sensible price). 

I will wait and see what C&H come back with. Hopefully the info will include any matched pair/s and numbers