Whining on peg

ShootingEgg

Throu the close season u could mibee work on the length of time u do sit and stays for, then add throwing lots of dummies about while he's sitting but pick al/most l the dummies by hand urself, possibly use a starting pistol too to add noise.

See if that gets hi more used to sitting wit plenty going on around him, but pretty hard to rercreate all the excitement of a shoot day.

Also I've heard it say u should never send ur dog for a retrieve from the peg, walk it a few yards away sit it down then send it, so it learns it will neer be sent from the peg so might relax more. Must admit I don't do the above as not practical for me if I wing a bird I usually send the dog for it fairlyquickly, but I can see the logic behind it

But if u don't stand very often and the dogs more used to rough shooting it will always be a struggle fo it 

My little cocker is a beating dog. And very good too. But he whines like mad if I'm stood on a peg. Unfortunatey he has to stay at home when I'm shooting. Unless it's walked up. Its not fair on the other guns to listen to my dog whining, theve paid the same afterall. He can't bare to sit still. 

Sometimes it' just not meant to be.

Just thinking of a story I was told a very famous author and FT spaniel trainer had a fantastic dog but it occasionally whined while waiting in line at FT's, he cut a hole in his pocket and kept a water pistol in his pocket and gave it a wee squirt if he thought it was getting over excited.

Possibly using a shake bottle when misbehaving and treats/clicker when behaving might work too 

As scotslad said making the dog steady by throwing lots of dummies but only allowing the dog one retrieve may help (give it a try) I have also seen the reverse work by sending the dog for every dummy, the idea is to bore the dog with retrieves and take the edge off his enthusiasm, this seems to work better on young dogs.

You have an uphill battle on your hands, whining is one of the most difficult traits to cure, some dogs are just made this way and trying to calm him down and get him to be quiet would be like trying to make a boarder collie ignore a flock of sheep.

In the first ueat of training (he is 3 now) i used to throw out dummies and not let him pick  any, then moved to sending for retrieve on a few during a session. I 95%of the time use him to beat, he is keeen fast and thorough.. I am almost tempted to not use him on peg at all but i feel like ive forgotten someone for the whole day. Went beating today without him as he wass holding a paw up, and I  felt lost.. 

Cheers for the replies, i might try and get him on the dummies again using my starting pistol...