heat treating 01 steel

ditchman

19 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Right i have just "done a deal" on a stonking item of machinery....i will pick it up in the next few days...and start to post up some pics so you can drewl over it........

so watch this space..

not saying what it is...as i havnt got it inmy sticky hands....but what i will say iiissss

1. its old
  2. i have to go to sheffield to pick it up..

No…don’t tell me you have bought yourself a finished knife….no, sorry only joking, ok look forward in anticipation of your new/old….???? From Sheffield :yes:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright i will put you out of yews misery..........i have bought a..........

Qualters&Smith.large flatbed linishing machine....cast iron construction with screw holes so i can make and fit a tilting guide table........it weighs about 130lbs..and that is just the belt head...have to get hold of a 2HP motor to run it..............i rekon it is late 1930's...i will take it apart and check / clean the bearings on the rollers or replace them.....the adjusters look like the track tensioners on a D2 caterpillar tractor:lol:...........

it might have been used for knife making or flatterning off machined parts and faces............but as it is so built like a tank it means there is no flex and i will be able to cut very precice angles

should pick it up in the next few days...........

40 minutes ago, old'un said:

A must have piece of kit for any budding knife maker, what size are the belts?

There’s a big demand for hand made knifes, could be a nice little earner.

Do you have a furnace with temp control?

belts are 36" X 4".............no furnace yet...........will make a flower pot (big pot) furnace bottom draught.....i wont be forging to begin with just hardening and tempering with magnet and by coulour....just need to make some quality blades first before i go all artistic..:lol:.........forging will come later

Edited by ditchman

That should do the job nicely and you can sharpen all your kitchen knifes as well, in fact you could offer a knife sharpen service to the village.

The only problem with an open forge is controlling the heat (around 800c for five/ten minutes) of course in the old days it was all done by eye, yes you can use a magnet to tell when its reached its ideal quenching heat but the margin for error is very small when trying to hold the tempter at 800c, with the possibility of a burn to the surface structure, having said that I have hardened lots of GFS in an open hearth and tempered using the colour method with very good results.  

If you wanted to get a bit more accurate with temp and hold you could use a cheap "K" type thermocouple in the forge…..https://www.banggood.com/DT1311-K-Type-Thermometer-Ceramic-Probe-Forge-Crucible-Kiln-CR-8-p-1246850.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_elc&utm_content=zouzou&utm_campaign=pla-uk-ele-pc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInIK859Tw2AIVqLftCh2HhgVTEAYYAiABEgKJr_D_BwE&cur_warehouse=CN

I'll have a look in the workshop. I have a virtually new motor but don't know the output without looking.   Can deliver as far as Stamford if it fits your needs and we can haggle a price.

Love old bits of machinery like that, my old lathe is probably as old, not near as accurate now as it should be but still turns down bits as I need them. Paid hundred notes for it.

53 minutes ago, la bala said:

Would i be correct in thinking some of the old gate valves were bronze ditchman.

what i want is the cylinder head off an AEC Matador...........(think they were bronze)...........the stuff is really expensive....probley have to do with Brass....or nick a couple of Henry Moore sculptures :lol:

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

what i want is the cylinder head off an AEC Matador...........(think they were bronze)...........the stuff is really expensive....probley have to do with Brass....or nick a couple of Henry Moore sculptures :lol:

If you can wait until Saturday I may be able to help.

1 minute ago, la bala said:

If you can wait until Saturday I may be able to help.

whats happening on saturday then :hmm:....you are not going down to the war memorial again are you ?....the bronze plaques are all gone now anit they :lol::lol:

Edited by ditchman

12 hours ago, ditchman said:

Or the diff in an old Fordson tractor.

1 minute ago, ditchman said:

whats happening on saturday then :hmm:

I got someone looking for some.

22 minutes ago, la bala said:

Will let you know PM on Saturday. Told my boy to take a file to it, only problem is, he is colour blind:lol:

thats why a lot of smiths use pyrometers and tempilsticks...cause they dont want to admit they are colour blind.cant see the colurs run...................and thats why my old man wouldnt buy a colour TV...didnt give a stuff about mum and me...........i hope that %$$££"*&^ has rotted in his grave

tell him to take a magnet............

Edited by ditchman