Golden retriever cross Welsh springer

crichbish

Looking for some advice. I've been offered a pup from a litter of golden retriever cross Welsh springer. It's not a natural choice but the time is nearing when I need another dog and this had stirred an interest.

The dam is the retriever and has working lines a few generations back in her pedigree but doesn't work, I am banking on some natural instinct being passed. The sire doesnt have any working history and I've never seen a Welsh springer work and understand there aren't many working lines.

My main shooting is wildfowling with lots of water and whilst I realise in an ideal world I'd  go for a chespeake or a big strong lab the dog is  primarily a family pet with its gundog work being a minor part of its life. I currently have a clumber and he is not built for the marsh and restricts my shooting.

So in short, does anyone have experience of Welsh springers and what are your thoughts on working potential?

Thanks in advance. 

Welsh only has one type unlike ESS which have show and working types. My sister and bro-in-law have two male Welsh Springers, the older one is two and a half years old now with not much in the way of working instincts. The younger one is seventeen weeks old, or so. It's a feisty little pup and I can see real working potential in it. They both come from different breeders but I don't know much about the lineages.

Have to say I'm not that keen on the show look they get when groomed :no:.

Much prefer my working ESS but each to their own an' all.

While to some extent most are right in most cases u get wot u put in, but at the same time "u can't polish a @@@@"

Personally I wouldn't take the risk when both are not from working stock as ur stuck with it for next 10 plus years, It sounds like u have already had that problem.

I'd wait and put the feelers out for a decent lab pup from fowling stock.

it costs the same to feed a rubbish dog as a good 1

8 minutes ago, scotslad said:

While to some extent most are right in most cases u get wot u put in, but at the same time "u can't polish a @@@@"

Personally I wouldn't take the risk when both are not from working stock as ur stuck with it for next 10 plus years, It sounds like u have already had that problem.

I'd wait and put the feelers out for a decent lab pup from fowling stock.

it costs the same to feed a rubbish dog as a good 1

+1