Best way to cut a tyre

Smokersmith

39 minutes ago, fatchap said:

would a recip saw do the job?

I tried a recip on some heavy flooring rubber used for stables wasn’t great Stanley blade and keep scoring and bending was the best but hard work and slow. Tyre watch out for the banding.....

• 1 month later...

Never use a angle grinder on a tyre the disc can explode in ur face. Either a hand saw for metal or a jigsaw with a multipurpose blade in. I cut some motorcycle tyres up and had no problem. I watched a hospital program that had a guy who's face had been sliced off with a shattered disc from an angle grinder he was converting tyres into horse drinkers and the rubber grabbed the disc and shattered it. 

4 hours ago, Squinting shot said:

Never use a angle grinder on a tyre the disc can explode in ur face. Either a hand saw for metal or a jigsaw with a multipurpose blade in. I cut some motorcycle tyres up and had no problem. I watched a hospital program that had a guy who's face had been sliced off with a shattered disc from an angle grinder he was converting tyres into horse drinkers and the rubber grabbed the disc and shattered it. 

I've cut heaps of tyres with angle grinders no probs. 

have had two discs shatter cutting stainless pipe and some box section though, both times I think I twisted the disc, neither time did any of the shrapnel come towards me, thats what the guard is for. 

Edited by ClemFandango