Best way to cut a tyre

Smokersmith

My experience so far has been that anything with teeth you can feel will clog and catch. My best success has been with an ultrafine cutting disc on an angle grinder, trying to get the tyre under tension may also help. If might get easier if you use a stanley knife to revove the layer of rubber above the belting where you plan to cut  

As you say this has A&E written all over it so be very very careful, and dont take any of my suggestion as gospel. 

I assume it is a bicycle tyre that you are trying to cut?

Can you fabricate a jig of some sort to assist?  I'm thinking about a box section made out of wood the same width as the tyre where you can set a blade into the box and pull the tyre across it.  That way you are likely to get a more accurate cut as well.

It will be much safer if you can keep the blade stationary and move the tyre rather than the other way round.

Oh how I love these threads!

Just one word of warning though, years ago a chap I worked with sought permission to mount a dartboard in a similar way at work in the T bar.

All went well until a less accurate player sent a dart towards the rubber surround, it bounced and stuck in his leg, darts was not played so often after that.:rolleyes:

On 23/01/2018 at 10:30, Smokersmith said:

Folks,

I' m looking to up cycle a tyre to make a dartboard surround. I have one with perfect fit, just would like to slice round it to keep the profile slimmer.

Currently I'm thinking of using a jigsaw  ... any better ideas?

It has A&E written all over it so would have PPE as required !!

Sorry Steve , I think the world of you mate , but this has disaster written all over it , why don’t you just go find a thinner motorbike tyre and save your good lady from having to open to sauce bottles for the rest of your days. 

Blimey ,like the NHS ain’t got enough on its plate without the thought of you and a jigsaw haha ? 

On 23/01/2018 at 11:18, V8 90 said:

Let Stevo do it for you he has an extra finger on each hand to play with ? 

Dremmel type tool/small grinder would be my choice. 

And the two extras are stuck up at you ???

Edited by stevo

How about a backboard with some old cork tiles stuck on. You could put two layers.  Yes, the 1mm disc will work but do it outside in a good wind or the neighbours will have the Brigade Boys out in short order. It do make a lot of smoke.  Cut a big tractor tyre in half once  to make two feed troughs so I have knowledge.