A Non Magic Morning

Grandalf

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/368030-todays-magic-flight/

The above link is the story of the magic flight I experienced a fortnight ago.

Now for today's saga.

Due to a trapped nerve in my back and domestic problems I have not been able to get out fowling since the trip mentioned above.   Today's was somewhat different.   I went to the same spot at the same time and again was all on my own on the inland marsh in Norfolk.

Again reveille was at 0300 hours and I had the usual chores to complete before hitting the road at 0400.   The journey in my trusty 90 Land Rover (1986) takes an hour at this time of the morning as the chain car ferry is not open - so I arrived at the church at 0500 and started the walk that takes me, old and with a left foot that won't operate properly due the trapped nerve problems, an hour.   I set up the hide and placed the decoys taking about 40 minutes so I had time for a quick coffee before first light.

On the last visit I was hearing pinks calling throughout all the walking and setting up - Today, with the wind in the opposite direction I heard nothing except a few widgeon and mallards.   A couple of Egyptians flew past - as they are, in my view, inedible I never raise the gun to them - and a couple of greys went down the river.   And that was that.   It got lighter and still nothing.

About 0730 pinks started to leave the reserve but all going north and I was to the west!   This didn't look good - And it wasn't.

Nothing came anywhere close to being within half a mile of me - and then the rain started.   This was not going well.

It rained until about 1030 then the drizzle commenced.   About 1130 that stopped and the wind got its act together.

I had another coffee and considered packing up and going home.   I have to have a carer in to look after The Memsahib so I don't like going home early so decided I would sit it out for a while longer.

Then it got exciting.   Four pinks appeared heading south but at a fair old altitude.   I gave a couple of calls - more to relieve the boredom rather than in anticipation of great results.   They turned towards me.   I called again.   They turned east away from me.   Then I realised they had started to descend and turn again.   This was looking more promising.   I called again and they turned directly in to the wind on the approach to my coys.   I lifted the gun to get ready.   They still had a lot of altitude under them and a fair way to go.

They wiffled and glided - 'Take your time', says me to myself.   They wiffled another two or three times and then started the glide straight onto my coys.   This is it - four pinks committed, three cartridges in the gun, no one else on the marsh.   What can possibly go wrong now?

'Take your time', says I to me - again.   'Let them come right in on the coys'.   'Steady... steady... Steady..... Now'!

Up goes the gun and.....

Let me tell you straight away that it is very difficult to keep a satisfactory swing going when you have twelve feet of wet, lined, small mesh camouflage hide netting hanging onto the barrel of your shot gun.   When the net is clamped to the hide poles due to the strong wind it is, in point of fact, impossible to mount the gun at all.

After the geese had made a safe and hasty exit back into higher altitudes and the reserve area, and my dog had recovered from the outburst of foul oaths and language that I first learnt while serving in the army, I got to set up the inquiry to ascertain what the hell had gone wrong.   It seems that as I picked up the gun from where it had been lent against the corner hide pole the spikey pointed part of the sling buckle had gone through the top of the lining of the net.   Therefore the hide had, in effect, become part of the gun.   There is no fool so inept as an old fool!   I have only been fowling for nigh on sixty years so will get it right in the end with suitable practice and mentors.

I sat it out for another two hours but there was no repeat of the suicide mission.   In fact I hardly saw any more geese and those that I did were miles away.

A soggy pack up and a long walk back to the truck then the drive home followed by cleaning and drying everything including the dog and me concluded the day.

I was out from home for just on twelve hours with absolutely nothing to show for it.   Will I do it again?   Next week - same time but probably a different venue.

Fowling?   It's the sport of kings but not for the easily down hearted.    

Great story Gandalf at least you are getting out and about, if it was all easy predictable and regimented i am sure we would hold this sport in less esteem than we do.  Being there is the important thing, this last weekend i was confident i was in with a chance, but geese were on the fresh marsh as it turned out and spectator was all i got to do again, but that is the way it goes sometimes.

13 hours ago, JDog said:

Great stuff. More please. 

Is that more reports, fowling or grief JD?

I don't like admin, I can never get enough of fowling - and the grief?   Over the years I have had more than my fare share of that.

I'll just keep taking the tablets. 

39 minutes ago, JDog said:

More wild fowling, more reports, less grief.

you know that chain ferry...we had that poor meal there JD.............

GRANDALF..........come and stand in my garden another 2000 went over the house this morning at 100 ft or so......they are feeding on old beet tops next to the factory..

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

you know that chain ferry...we had that poor meal there JD.............

GRANDALF..........come and stand in my garden another 2000 went over the house this morning at 100 ft or so......they are feeding on old beet tops next to the factory..

I'll be there in the morning.   Have a brew ready.