Smoking rats

redogi73

Hi all

Seems rat holes have appeared by the duck pond, pheasant pen, barn etc. We could put poison down but I'd rather not, might live trap or even Fenn trap but I'll thinking getting a few of us off the shoot down with some 410s might make for some good sport. Not practical so making a smoker is out of the question, the rats smoker 2 is best part of £100, so wondered if anyone has used smoke bombs, the things you check chimney flues with?

Has anyone used em? Can anyone see any problem in using em?

Thanks

Redogi

have you thought about getting someone with terriers and a smoker? Think you would need to be really careful if there's a few of you shooting bolting rats, things will get crazy pretty quick, think driving range everyone facing same way, can't beat watching terriers do there thing though.

Yeah I take your point might just start off with two of us and have rules about who shoots where it might even just be me on the on the first time but yeah would be interested in someone with a smoker terriers. Someone on the shoot did mention it in the summer so I might bring it up again. However would like to give shooting a go as I've heard you can have a bit of fun!

Chain saw.  W e had one where the exhaust came out on the bottom which was great. Just mixed a little bit more oil in the fuel and placed the exhaust pipe over the hole. Had some great sport. Always one or two stick it out until the last and usually come out totally 'drunk'. Not difficult to rig up an extention tube from a regular two stroke.  Safety is paramount as things can get frantic exciting.

Just drop the chain and bar off.

Edited by Walker570

smoke bombs don't get down enough and produce limited results in my experience, the smoker unit such as a chainsaw pushes the smoke down better, get it on full revs with a bit of an oiler mix as said, hot and smelly work. Can get a bit chaotic when you get a sausage of rats coming out and spirits are high. Safety is always paramount, if you can get someone with terriers you can also account for good bags.

atb

7diaw

7 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

smoke bombs don't get down enough and produce limited results in my experience, the smoker unit such as a chainsaw pushes the smoke down better, get it on full revs with a bit of an oiler mix as said, hot and smelly work. Can get a bit chaotic when you get a sausage of rats coming out and spirits are high. Safety is always paramount, if you can get someone with terriers you can also account for good bags.

atb

7diaw

thanks to reply, i may look out for a cheap chain saw

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

thanks to reply, i may look out for a cheap chain saw

no problem, you will have to attach a flexi pipe about a couple of foot long, the one i used to use had a hydraulic hose attached, it was one me mate fettled up. Be aware the hose get very hot. Have a look on tubeyou.

atb

7diaw