PUNT GUN CARTRIDGE LOADS ADVICE

Hello  i'm seeking advise on various wieght of loads for a punt gun project im on with,

what is the general consensus and opion of the appropriate wieght of shot within the cartridge and what propelent should be used ie nitro or black powder

the cartridge is approx 8 inch long and 45mm diameter

any thoughts would greatly be appreciated

thanks for the reply, i just used the figure of 45mm as a round approx estimate, but thanks for the heads up i will make sure we a just under that,  just to clarify is 1.75inch max in relation to the internal diameter of the barrel or intenal diameter of chamber (or out side diameter of cartridge)

many thanks for your time

"It is an offence to use the following to kill or take any wild bird........

Shotgun with a barrel having an internal diameter of more than 1 3/4in at the muzzle."

Please don't think I am being patronising, but if you are thinking of engineering a gun, a lot of research and preparation are called for. Online forums are not the best place for this to be honest. The idea of putting a load of time and money into a build that, after lapping etc. the proof house tells you is 1.8 in doesn't bear thinking about !

Yes I agree but it's not if there is a book that you can go off when building such an item,  I seem to be piecing bits of info from various sources, not ideal I know, as our local firearms department can't help much in the way of info, for example I have been told you only require proofing if I was to sell it, but that doesn't seem right to me 

It is illegal to sell an unproved or out of proof gun but not to use one. You will need a certificate for a home-built gun when all the parts are together in the same place (that's not statute or case law but seems to be the not unreasonable police view). You will need an antique gun to be on your certificate, even a muzzle loader, if you use it.

"Law and Licensing - a concise guide for shotgun and rifle owners" by Bill Harriman might be useful. There is indeed no book available although there was a long thread on here. Anyone getting involved needs to realise that "research" does not mean using Google as 99% of stuff online is nonsense. It means seeing, measuring assessing balance, etc. Everything about an outfit : gun, boat, trailer, accessories, is a custom build and about the only bits you can buy off the shelf are a paddle and an anchor. This activity is not termed "self-selecting" for nothing.

• 1 year later...
On 23/01/2018 at 22:32, marsdensparky said:

Hello  i'm seeking advise on various wieght of loads for a punt gun project im on with,

what is the general consensus and opion of the appropriate wieght of shot within the cartridge and what propelent should be used ie nitro or black powder

the cartridge is approx 8 inch long and 45mm diameter

any thoughts would greatly be appreciated

Hi I’m after 1 punt  cartridge do you know where I can buy one ? 

14 hours ago, stan1664 said:

Hi I’m after 1 punt  cartridge do you know where I can buy one ? 

Try Quickfire Auctions online. One of the sellers there will likely be able to help out. Obviously you'll need to collect in person etc.

As far as I know, the "standard" Eleys were sold as capped cases rather than loaded cartridges. They came in two lengths for (roughly) 16 and 20 oz loads. Not hard to find in this form and if they have been kept away from light the colour is a nice blue which will fade quickly if you display them.

• 2 months later...

Built my own 4 Bore,whieghs 21.5 pounds ...42" Barrel.

Built,Lock,,Stock,,Barrel.Passed proof Birminham Proof House  40 years ago.

1" Barrel,,,Fires a Quarter pound of BB..,,Roughly 285 pellets,,each with Kintic energy to kill 1 Duck..

Took 4 Months to Build..Stock,,,English Walnut...

8 drms of Colonel hawkers !,Course grain,,,Nutty Slack,Slang.lol.

1" Barrel,,,Fires a Quarter pound of BB..,,Roughly 285 pellets,,each with Kintic energy to kill 1 Duck..

I believe it was Bill Hrriman that took pictures for the shooting Times and His Collection at the Game Fair when I had Finished it..

2 minutes ago, subsonicnat said:

Sounds like a great gun any chance of a picture ? 

Is it rotary under lever and hammer? 

1 hour ago, Pushandpull said:

The O.P. seems to be long gone. However, it may be of interest to others that there will be a screw-breech Bland 1 1/2" gun to be seen on the B.A.S.C./Wells Wildfowlers stand at Holkham Country Fair the weekend after next.

Holkham Country Fair reminds me of a  old friend that used to shoot his punt gun there  , this was in the 1990,s , Maybe some of the older members will know or remember him his name was Michael Townsend  who came from Maldam.

Feltwad 

I think it was in the 1980s in fact that Mike and his colleague John Yates did their first "demonstration" on the lake at Holkham, soon after the fair moved from Bayfield Park where it started. Among other things, these were I believe the only times that the celebrated big gun "Irish Tom" was fired in public. It was borne on the punt Black Goose and there is a photo in the BASC centenary book.

That picture shows Mike Townsend with Paul Litten who built Black Goose in the 70s. Mike has of course passed on, but John and Paul are still enjoying their sport in their 80s, and Black Goose is in work on the Solway. There are some great anecdotes about Mike and his time in Maldon such as his testing a big gun in the back yard and breaking a few windows.

MT was quite a man who was just old enough to have flown Spitfires. We don't breed many like him.

53 minutes ago, Pushandpull said:

I think it was in the 1980s in fact that Mike and his colleague John Yates did their first "demonstration" on the lake at Holkham, soon after the fair moved from Bayfield Park where it started. Among other things, these were I believe the only times that the celebrated big gun "Irish Tom" was fired in public. It was borne on the punt Black Goose and there is a photo in the BASC centenary book.

That picture shows Mike Townsend with Paul Litten who built Black Goose in the 70s. Mike has of course passed on, but John and Paul are still enjoying their sport in their 80s, and Black Goose is in work on the Solway. There are some great anecdotes about Mike and his time in Maldon such as his testing a big gun in the back yard and breaking a few windows.

MT was quite a man who was just old enough to have flown Spitfires. We don't breed many like him.

Thanks for the information I often think of him  we exchange  a lot of information on punt guns ,somewhere  in my  correspondence  with him he sent me photos  of his punt  and also of a punt he was building must have been about 1996 .

Feltwad