PUNT GUN CARTRIDGE LOADS ADVICE

14 hours ago, Feltwad said:

Holkham Country Fair reminds me of a  old friend that used to shoot his punt gun there  , this was in the 1990,s , Maybe some of the older members will know or remember him his name was Michael Townsend  who came from Maldam.

Feltwad 

Yes, I knew Mike, he was a member of my club. Nice ol' chap.

10 hours ago, Penelope said:

Yes, I knew Mike, he was a member of my club. Nice ol' chap.

Thought some might enjoy this piece,  Michael Townsend gets a mention............ I knew a Blackwater puntgunner based at Mayland but i cant remember his name [just remember his labrador was called peter] I used to go herring'in with him and if he left the dog at home it would swim out to the boat until he turned around and picked it up.. we used to drift up and down the Blackwater on a frosty night after the herring

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/4793068/Dont-rock-the-boat.html

12 hours ago, islandgun said:

Thought some might enjoy this piece,  Michael Townsend gets a mention............ I knew a Blackwater puntgunner based at Mayland but i cant remember his name [just remember his labrador was called peter] I used to go herring'in with him and if he left the dog at home it would swim out to the boat until he turned around and picked it up.. we used to drift up and down the Blackwater on a frosty night after the herring

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/4793068/Dont-rock-the-boat.html

A good find.

Mark (mentioned in the article) is still active in the club.

Dan Fairman, who is also mentioned, is who I went punting with on couple of occasions.

Edited by Penelope

1 hour ago, Penelope said:

A good find.

Mark (mentioned in the article) is still active in the club.

Dan Fairman, who is also mentioned, is who I went punting with on couple of occasions.

Gone through my photos of the correspondence that  Mick Townsend and I  had in the 1990,s enclosed are a couple of photos he sent me of him at Holkham in 1977 

Feltwad

100-2729.jpg

100-2731.jpg

Edited by Feltwad

2 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

This is not a traditional punt gun. It is a piece of nonsense dreamed up by some americans and has been all over the internet for years.

By the way I do like Tightchoke's spelling ; Scapa Flo the girl who kept the Home Fleet happy ?

Ah but, is it a Punt Gun?

11 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

This is not a traditional punt gun. It is a piece of nonsense dreamed up by some americans and has been all over the internet for years.

By the way I do like Tightchoke's spelling ; Scapa Flo the girl who kept the Home Fleet happy ?

A friend of Fat Sarah's no doubt.

Is it a punt gun ?  I would say not. It is not designed or fitted for the job. (Too long, no recoil fitting, enormous stock, etc.) In the U.S. they seem to label anything from single 8s up to young cannons "punt guns". In their day these guns were made for a specific task just as any other shotgun type. Even matters such as balance were critical.

3 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

Is it a punt gun ?  I would say not. It is not designed or fitted for the job. (Too long, no recoil fitting, enormous stock, etc.) In the U.S. they seem to label anything from single 8s up to young cannons "punt guns". In their day these guns were made for a specific task just as any other shotgun type. Even matters such as balance were critical.

I agree  typical American  has a 10 bore is the largest size they are allowed to shoot  {Hunting } of live quarry  In the days  when punt gunning was allowed they were referred to has Market Gunners  

Feltwad

7 hours ago, Pushandpull said:

I will bow to your superior knowledge, seeing as I only learnt of their existence 2 days ago🤐

Is it a punt gun? Sorry to disagree gents but, yes, it is. Or at least, it was!

It`s an old English made damascus barrel exported to the states, as many were, before they were made illegal in 1918. Looking at it, little or none of the woodwork is original and it has been restocked in a "full" style that would be useless in a punt. If you look closely as the gun is being carried you can see a type of underbarrel loop to secure the rope breaching.

The original underbarrel loop would probably have looked a bit different but the gun was probably never fitted with trunnions which are quite a late, and inferior, addition to the differing types of recoil control.

If you take a quick look at the metal work, and not the stock, of the gun in this video and compare it to the Yankee gun, they`re very similar.