Merc G type

washerboy

A chap in the village I grew up in had one. Apparently his son got it while contracting in the Middle East, an interesting thing with all sorts of factory specced curiosities like twin spare wheels and I think fully locking diffs. He loved it very much and said it was like a rangerover of the same era in use just much more expensive to run, service, find parts for etc... 

If i had money sloshing around I would take a rangerover 300tdi or 3.5v8 over one though. 

They are not really a Mercedes they are built by Daimler-Puch for military contract and only carry the Mercedes badge as a branding thing. They seem very expensive but they are supposed to be as tough as nails.

The visual similarity with the LR can't be coincidental. It is said that the German Govt couldn't bear to buy British LRs for their military.

The new X class is the one to keep an eye on

Edited by Vince Green

• 2 weeks later...

I had an early one A registration (A 123 ABC type number) 280 GEL petrol (2.8 litre 6 cylinder twin overhead cam) with 4 speed auto.

Well made, incredibly heavy, slow and thirsty - especially on the motorway, where the low gearing and high revving engine really hit the fuel consumption.  The only car I have had that has returned less than 10 mpg.  Even driven very gently, 12-14mpg was about the best I could get. 

Good for shooting (much more room and much more mud friendly interior than contemporary Range Rover).  Very reliable (unlike contemporary Range Rover).  Spares like exhaust parts, plug leads astronomically expensive as they were exclusive to G series.  Cumbersome to drive, but good off road (centre and both axles had independently lockable diff locks), though no match for a well driven Defender.  Poor on road, slow, noisy, poor cornering due to heavy high body and lots of body roll, thirsty, poor ride compared to Range Rover or Discovery.

Defender I have now is a MUCH better car overall for off road (G wagon suffered from gross overweight and low torque high revving engine).  Range Rover or Discovery is a MUCH better car for on and off road if you can live with the stupidly plush trim for off road use.

I would never have another.

Edited by JohnfromUK