Pathetic

walshie

A deaf woman is suing a promoter for not providing a British Sign Language interpreter at a music concert. She was offered carer tickets so she could take her own interpreter, but that wasn't good enough. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42776454

Where will this all end? I understand she wants to take her kids to a concert and she wants the experience, but if they do that' then they aren't catering for deaf French or Chinese people, etc, etc., etc. Or blind people. How on earth can promoters cater for every single person's individual needs? People won't help themselves these days. They expect everyone to do everything for them and if not, sue them for a nice little payout. 

Will art galleries be forced to provide staff to describe the paintings to blind people?

I'd like the experience of running the London marathon but I'm too fat. I think I'll ask them to provide someone to piggy back me round so I don't miss out, and if they don't I'll sell my story to the papers.

It's ridiculous. 

Phew. Calmed down a bit now. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought exactly the same when I heard it on the radio this morning, the promoter is completely in the right here, they offered carer tickets and that is more than enough in my opinion. If they'd provided an interpreter she\d have found a problem with that the silly mare.

Just another sign that we are now officially Benefit / Claim Culture Britain!

I tell you what If I was at a Little Mix concert I'd probably take some ear muffs and just watch the dance routines and skimpy outfits myself!

Minorities of all types are using an increasingly PC legal system to establish their "rights"...it is like the Human Rghts Act its a great idea but its being abused, which has bought it into disrepute!......

I see Great Ormand St Hospital have been embarrassed into handing back all past donations raised at a private men only club (presidents Club) auction because the women the organisers employed as hospitality staff were groped and propositioned!.....well wealthy men, attractive women, copious amounts of drink, what do the women expect? They can always choose a different occupation, turn the work down, and/or don't have to accept any unwanted advances............Now the militant feminist crusaders are up in arms claiming abuse.........the women got paid, a massive amount of money was raised for Great Ormand Street Hospital..........the ones who have lost out are the sick kids!

44 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Minorities of all types are using an increasingly PC legal system to establish their "rights"...it is like the Human Rghts Act its a great idea but its being abused, which has bought it into disrepute!......

I see Great Ormand St Hospital have been embarrassed into handing back all past donations raised at a private men only club (presidents Club) auction because the women the organisers employed as hospitality staff were groped and propositioned!.....well wealthy men, attractive women, copious amounts of drink, what do the women expect? They can always choose a different occupation, turn the work down, and/or don't have to accept any unwanted advances............Now the militant feminist crusaders are up in arms claiming abuse.........the women got paid, a massive amount of money was raised for Great Ormand Street Hospital..........the ones who have lost out are the sick kids!

I’m not sure I agree with this one. My daughter works at a nightclub to find her Uni’ fees etc. I’d be very annoyed indeed if the clientele felt that gave them the right to grope her. 

It dawned on me during the fishing lake thread, that at some point the whole ridiculous system is going to crash at some point.
When it was pointed out that the UN has a law(s) that cover discrimination against anybody who is 'different'.
All encompassed under racism, and supported and promoted by the self righteous liberals of this and other western countries.
When I say different, this includes any disability, race , religion,creed, colour or culture, indeed nationality comes under its large umbrella, which ,when you think about it, is total madness.
Nationalities can change, apparently genders can change, and anyone can choose to be 'identified' as any one (or more) of over 70 different genders these days, and woe betide anyone who misinterprets or wrongly assumes their chosen gender, under threat of imprisonment !
You could theoretically get offended and sue virtually anyone for some imagined discrimination if you choose, as in the case with the deaf woman.
Why would you expect to be pandered to by a promoter or venue because of your disability.
What about the people who dont really want to see a person on stage doing sign language ?
My eyes arent too good ,so can I have a front row seat for the same price as a cheap one?
No I cant, so am I discriminated against ? Of course not, and neither is she.

10 minutes ago, Scully said:

I’m not sure I agree with this one. My daughter works at a nightclub to find her Uni’ fees etc. I’d be very annoyed indeed if the clientele felt that gave them the right to grope her. 

I don't know what work your daughter is employed to do at the nightclub as you have not said.........however in this case It is reported these particular women were employed as "hosts" and provided with skimpy clothes and ordered to wear specific underwear? Why?

Just now, 39TDS said:

Disabled literally means you are unable to do something. There are lots of things I can’t do but I don’t feel I am entitled to have someone turn up to do it for me. 

This women is so far in the wrong entitled it’s hard to grasp. 

And wrong, extracting the urine comes to mind too.

38 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

It dawned on me during the fishing lake thread, that at some point the whole ridiculous system is going to crash at some point.
When it was pointed out that the UN has a law(s) that cover discrimination against anybody who is 'different'.
All encompassed under racism, and supported and promoted by the self righteous liberals of this and other western countries.
When I say different, this includes any disability, race , religion,creed, colour or culture, indeed nationality comes under its large umbrella, which ,when you think about it, is total madness.
Nationalities can change, apparently genders can change, and anyone can choose to be 'identified' as any one (or more) of over 70 different genders these days, and woe betide anyone who misinterprets or wrongly assumes their chosen gender, under threat of imprisonment !
You could theoretically get offended and sue virtually anyone for some imagined discrimination if you choose, as in the case with the deaf woman.
Why would you expect to be pandered to by a promoter or venue because of your disability.
What about the people who dont really want to see a person on stage doing sign language ?
My eyes arent too good ,so can I have a front row seat for the same price as a cheap one?
No I cant, so am I discriminated against ? Of course not, and neither is she.

Based on this can we not claim discrimination from the "snowflakes" when they start on about shooting sports ??? :rolleyes::lol: 

13 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

Based on this can we not claim discrimination from the "snowflakes" when they start on about shooting sports ??? :rolleyes::lol: 

Play em at their own game ?
Like I say, the whole things got to implode at some point, anything to hasten that day is fine with me :good:

53 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

I don't know what work your daughter is employed to do at the nightclub as you have not said.........however in this case It is reported these particular women were employed as "hosts" and provided with skimpy clothes and ordered to wear specific underwear? Why?

My daughter works as a barmaid, which is totally irrelevant to the actions of those who must surely carry the blame for Great Ormond Street losing the proceeds of that night...namely the clients.

I attended a ‘strippers’ night some years ago in our small market town, to raise funds for a local hospice. It was a male only gathering and all the girls ( from Newcastle ) wore while they served drinks, collected glasses and waited on tables, were high heels and thongs.

All the blokes there were a collection of farmers, farm labourers, builders and their labourers, local HGV drivers and basically working class lads. A fabulous night was had by all, including the lasses, and not one of them got groped as far as I’m aware, and none of us felt we were entitled to do so. 

Your logic just seems pretty archaic to me. 

3 hours ago, walshie said:

Where will this all end?

Good point, but where do we draw the line? Can`t get your wheelchair on the bus, tough! Dodgy hip and can`t walk too far and you want parking for free in the middle of the city centre, beat it and throw away that silly blue badge!

If anyone is too fat due to their inability to pass Greggs without stopping (or similar) and buying, then you can do something about it, but some people have hearing impairment from birth and not due to their own failings. Why not think about how to be more inclusive rather than exclusive when it comes to people who may want to access what you could quite easily and fully enjoy.

Yeah, what is this world coming too!

2 minutes ago, henry d said:

Good point, but where do we draw the line? Can`t get your wheelchair on the bus, tough! Dodgy hip and can`t walk too far and you want parking for free in the middle of the city centre, beat it and throw away that silly blue badge!

If anyone is too fat due to their inability to pass Greggs without stopping (or similar) and buying, then you can do something about it, but some people have hearing impairment from birth and not due to their own failings. Why not think about how to be more inclusive rather than exclusive when it comes to people who may want to access what you could quite easily and fully enjoy.

We can draw the line exactly where we are now, which is already verging on the ridiculous. Obviously people in wheelchairs should be given access to shops and transport. A deaf person going to a music concert but moaning they can't hear is stupid. 

16 minutes ago, henry d said:

We live in very tolerant, inclusive society, we bend over backwards to help others, and facilitate others failings, disabilities and circumstances, you dont have to be born here, or have paid anything into our system.
Some say we dont do enough, some say we do too much.
But come the end of the day, someone ,somewhere, has to pay for it, 'But theyre  entitled to it' I hear you say ?
Yes, to an extent, but as taxpayers, are we not entitled to have a say in any of this ?
The problem is, as time goes by there ,seems to be more and more beneficiaries ,and less contributors, so at some point the people who want and need, will outnumber those who provide.
The woman in the story got what she asked for, but then changed her mind and decided to pursue it anyway, for what ?
Is the aim to make all concerts deaf friendly ?
Ill rephrase that, is the aim to force all concerts to be deaf friendly ?
So we can expect them to put prices up to compensate ? Thereby the majority suffer financially for the one or two deaf people who wish to attend, what next after that ?

You draw the line somewhere sensible, and you draw it on a level playing field, yes you try to help people with disabilities, but try not to do it by hurting people who havnt, they too have rights.
As the UN states in its 'law' on discrimination, you dont have to be a minority to be discriminated against.
It works both ways.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

My daughter works as a barmaid, which is totally irrelevant to the actions of those who must surely carry the blame for Great Ormond Street losing the proceeds of that night...namely the clients.

I attended a ‘strippers’ night some years ago in our small market town, to raise funds for a local hospice. It was a male only gathering and all the girls ( from Newcastle ) wore while they served drinks, collected glasses and waited on tables, were high heels and thongs.

All the blokes there were a collection of farmers, farm labourers, builders and their labourers, local HGV drivers and basically working class lads. A fabulous night was had by all, including the lasses, and not one of them got groped as far as I’m aware, and none of us felt we were entitled to do so. 

Your logic just seems pretty archaic to me. 

I can only comment on the allegations as reported, but do you know how the reported sexual harassment was described by the "undercover" reporter? Holding the hostesses hand, touching the small of their back and touching their stomach!......which although you claim not to have seen it, I would wager is similar conduct, to that which went on in the example you describe? as is usual at these events...........the difference is no one complained, nor made a political issue of it! 

Ask male hosts, waiters, entertainment etc at a women's only event such as a hen party, what sort of sexual harrassment they have experienced from women, but no one complains or makes a political issue of that!.........and then comment on the "unacceptable" conduct of men at an all male function!

Equality is one thing trying to tilt the balance in favour of one side who identify themselves as "different" is positive descrimination and an example not of equality, but of Political correctness!

You are either in denial,  naive or being deliberately contrary......or all three? Lol!

Edited by panoma1

The point I was trying to make it is impossible to cater for the needs of everyone. She was offered a free ticket for a carer to interpret for her, and that should have been an end to it, but that wasn't good enough. She said it wouldn''t give her the full experience. She wanted a BSL signer to be laid on purely for her benefit. It's all me, me I, I, with these people and any offer of help isn't enough.

If this case doesn't get laughed out of court and sets a precedent then concerts could end up with 20 or 30 people standing in front of the stage signing in different languages. Perhaps they should have interpreters in every language to cater for people who can hear, but don't speak English. Or maybe they should sing very quietly in case anyone with oversensitive hearing is present. As I said, where does it end?

A simple solution would be to have the lyrics on a big screen like in karaoke, but if a free ticket for her own interpreter wasn't good enough, then that wouldn't be either. 

Some people can't be helped.

Jordan Peterson's lectures on the rise of totalitarian political correctness really opened my eyes to what's going on.

People go along with anything that is 'PC sensitive' because they don't want to be alienated by their peers, no one ever raises their hand to say they don't agree with new politically correct ideology for this reason, people assume that they're at fault for not believing it's correct and will feign believing in order to be accepted and so the circle continues.

Under this paradigm, social justice warriors have been able to dictate how people must address them, how they must be described, what must be catered for and what they're entitled to etc.

"You must call me this" "You must provide this for me" "You CANNOT do this" 

These are great risks to freedom and the freedom of speech.

1 hour ago, walshie said:

The point I was trying to make it is impossible to cater for the needs of everyone. She was offered a free ticket for a carer to interpret for her, and that should have been an end to it, but that wasn't good enough. She said it wouldn''t give her the full experience. She wanted a BSL signer to be laid on purely for her benefit. It's all me, me I, I, with these people and any offer of help isn't enough. No, put yourself in her place, how can she look at the carer and see the show? That is why the BSL signer was on a stage next to the singers

If this case doesn't get laughed out of court and sets a precedent then concerts could end up with 20 or 30 people standing in front of the stage signing in different languages. Perhaps they should have interpreters in every language to cater for people who can hear, but don't speak English. Or maybe they should sing very quietly in case anyone with oversensitive hearing is present. As I said, where does it end? Unfortunately your argument fails as it is a logical fallacy; Slippery Slope.

A simple solution would be to have the lyrics on a big screen like in karaoke, but if a free ticket for her own interpreter wasn't good enough, then that wouldn't be either. Another poor argument as you are assuming things you cannot know.

Some people can't be helped. Yes, agreed :rolleyes: