Hunter wellies guarantee

markm

I know the company gets a good kicking (and now I clearly see it’s deserved) on here but I’ve been blown away with how poor their customer service is. 

Start Oct - First shoot day in October the top press stud came off my balmoral zip flap and you could see 2 holes, clearly the first press stud didn’t lock together so a second one was applied, cutting a second hole, as the rubber is elastic it fell straight off.  Contacted customer service  

Mid Dec - Their first response asking for around 8 different photos of all different parts of the boots.   

End Jan - Just heard that (they claim) this is not a manufacturing fault. 

What pace and gusto!

Really????

8A0DAD5A-492B-4E96-8A4D-383A405C940B.jpeg

Thats quite a claim, I would reply with something along the lines of "it would appear two attempts were made during production to fit the press stud, unfortunately the weakening of the structure from the resulting second hole rendered the press stud non functional as the material was unable to hold it in place. Given this would appear to result clearly from a failed stage in the manufacturing process I would be most obliged if you could kindly explain how this is not a Manufacturing fault". Make it very clear the two holes are as it was supplied, not an attempt to repair yourself. 

things have changed....................i have hunter soveriegn with studs..........studs got wore out sent them back for re-studding...they came back with total new soles and studs..£10 quid and i paind p&P...........all done in 6 days.....ok that was 6 years ago....so things have changed ...shame

1 hour ago, Wb123 said:

I live in fear of my Aigles wearing out and having to find a quality replacement. I borrowed an old pair of scottish made hunters once and they were very nice but Ive not heard anything that would encourage me to buy the current stuff. 

Just get more Aigles, I and plenty of people I know wear them. My current pair is only a year old, but a friend's are several years old and we are all happy with them!

I fully agree with the above posts on the poor quality of Hunters boots , I bought the Balmoral neo ones , I liked them because they would stand up while I would put my leg in the boot and with me spending a lot of time in cold water the neo ones kept my feet warm.

They were the good bits , the bad bits were , they both leaked within a few months and Uttings of Norwich replaced them free of charge , the replaced pair lasted around three months before the soles started to come apart and again started to let water in , back on the phone to Uttings who again replaced them , the third pair lasted a bit longer before  the first crack appeared about six inches up the boot , by this time Uttings had stopped stocking Hunters boots , so with the three pairs for the price of one I kept them for walking about in wet grass and muddy fields until they fell to bits .

P S .... Give credit where credit is due , Uttings were excellent people to deal with and I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again.

Gone are the days when you could call at the Uniroyal factory shop in Dumfries and buy a pair of cosmetic seconds Hunters for £5 and a pair of Royal Hunters for a pound or two more.
I had a retail account with them in the 80's when they were made in Dumfries, but I wouldn't have the heart to sell them now at the silly price they cost now.

My last hunters were seconds visually the seem on the back was off centre, they lasted me 6 years until I dropped my knife on my right foot and it had to land blade first. Apart from that hole after 6 years of use they were still brand new and only cost me £11. Pity the quality now isn’t like it was some years ago.

My daughter bought a new pair of standard hunters at the Game Fair a few years ago for a summer soil sampling job. Within 5/6 weeks they had started to split. Contacted the supplier who asked her to return them. They in turn sent them back to hunter who stated they were not designed for the purpose she was using them for!!! As a gesture of good will the supplier refunded in full! Moral,of this story is that Hunter and their Wellingtons are not fit for purpose and fo not deserve to be in business!!

• 1 month later...
On 24/01/2018 at 14:34, Wb123 said:

Thats quite a claim, I would reply with something along the lines of "it would appear two attempts were made during production to fit the press stud, unfortunately the weakening of the structure from the resulting second hole rendered the press stud non functional as the material was unable to hold it in place. Given this would appear to result clearly from a failed stage in the manufacturing process I would be most obliged if you could kindly explain how this is not a Manufacturing fault". Make it very clear the two holes are as it was supplied, not an attempt to repair yourself. 

Well. 

6 months on and an update. 

Just got an email to tell me that they will replace the boots. The condition being I send the old ones back for inspection in the delivery box 

I used the above message and it seems to have worked. They either have a phenomenal amount of complaints or one person working an hour a week in their customer service dept.  

Edited by markm

On 24/01/2018 at 22:10, AdamSouthEast said:

Got some hunters about 5 years ago, not knowing any better... Still going strong though

I done the same and mine are still going, I also have a pair of Aigle Parcours and must admit the Aigle are a much better boot more comfortable and just generally a better boot 

Hunters are merely a designer label now. I would imagine the majority of their customers live in town centres and don’t buy them for what they were originally designed for. 

I tried a pair on some four plus years ago, costing around £150 and they were so uncomfortable. 

I bought leather lined Aigles instead and they are so comfortable and still look like new. I don’t know what rubber they use but it is sturdy yet really supple. 

Edited by Cosd