Garage/workshop ideas

walshie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

walshie - I should have owned up that I was a bit envious of the size of your soon to be replaced shed. My eldest has a garage which my whole house would fit in quite comfortably, but does not use it as garage. It is used as a play room for my granddaughter. I could live in it quite easily.

I don't do as much mechanical work as I used to do, but you can never have too big a garage.

20 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

walshie - I should have owned up that I was a bit envious of the size of your soon to be replaced shed. My eldest has a garage which my whole house would fit in quite comfortably, but does not use it as garage. It is used as a play room for my granddaughter. I could live in it quite easily.

I don't do as much mechanical work as I used to do, but you can never have too big a garage.

Nice. Lucky granddaughter. :good:

It's unusable as it is. Leaky, draughty and freezing cold. I've put up with it for nearly 3 years while 'er indoors has paid for various builders' Caribbean holidays

Once it's finished she might never see me again. (Except mealtimes.) :lol:

Edited by walshie

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Delwint said:

That’s a nice size garage/workshop mate. It must be about 12x7m!

I have workshop envy ?

Did you count the blocks or something? I had no idea till they told me. Internally it's 11 x 7. :good:

10 minutes ago, Dunkield said:

Fast forward to 6 minutes in - now that's a garage :yes:

Apart from the fitted units, the immaculate tools, the car lift and the porsche, that's exactly what mine's going to look like. 

Edited by walshie

Have a look on you tube at epoxy floor,i have done a couple and pleased with results,damp proof and hard wearing.

I f you go ahead with the wood burner,which looks great,make sure you fit a monoxide alarm.

As a builder/plumber i am really pleased to see builders thread rather than an engineering one that i know nothing of what they say.

Saw a good tip some time back about stoves for heating.

If you can, source the cold air for the stove/burner from a dedicated pipe/vent, that feeds directly into it.
That way, the stove/burner produces heat which then fills the room and radiates outwards. If you have the stove/burner use air from the room as part of the combustion cycle, it will mean that cold air is drawn into the room from outside - through any gaps/cracks, etc., so the room will develop cold spots.

• 1 month later...

Well it's been the slowest garage build in history. A combination of the weather. suppliers messing about with materials etc, etc. but we're almost there.

The roof timbers took forever but they finally arrived.

20180426_104644s.jpg.fd8b7d05167cb3a68e77be455b8e24a0.jpg

The blockwork was fairly near completion then we had a washout with heavy rain every day.

20180503_071444s.jpg.5c4eaed27138678e9bb11b8d8bb1b155.jpg

But at least the roof is on now and the windows in, so I guess in the literal sense it is built now. Still waiting for the garage door as it's "a funny size."  :lol: They've got plenty to do while we wait for that. 

20180509_070635s.jpg.4061a219f5e1ad46cb62015f368f5923.jpg

Having building work done is very stressful. But it'll be worth it. 

Edited by walshie

2 hours ago, hawkeye said:

A hole in the concrete floor with do for that..........:innocent:

all you need is a spare funnel....stuff the end in a bit of compressor hose...drill a 1.5" dia hole thro the wall and terminate the hose in a soakaway......bang a nail in the wall above the funnel and string a bit of wire thro to hold it upright....

jobs a gooden..

(not for use with solids)

11 hours ago, ditchman said:

all you need is a spare funnel....stuff the end in a bit of compressor hose...drill a 1.5" dia hole thro the wall and terminate the hose in a soakaway......bang a nail in the wall above the funnel and string a bit of wire thro to hold it upright....

jobs a gooden..

(not for use with solids)

unless you can attach a compressor at the "input" end and blow the hose out. 

Edited by ClemFandango

On 3/24/2018 at 20:44, walshie said:

Well behind because of the weather, but should still make the deadline of mid April.

20180316_163256.jpg.30806e750bd3e9aa0fa8449b57b66f01.jpg

Luckily my lurcher was on hand to help with fitting the lintels. 

IMG-20180324-WA0000.jpg.89e48955c25aecb3b4c32e04fa00b7e1.jpg

How many spirit levels in this picture ?