Good Porter Ale

bruno22rf

I seem to have developed a taste for Porter type Ales but supermarkets seem to stock very few - Asda do a Whitechapel Porter by Shepherd Neame that is v,nice but they never seem to have enough in stock to make the 10 mile journey worthwhile, any fans out there know of a good, easily obtained example? 

All the high street supermarkets sell porter? Bit like saying they all sell Cola, but we all have different tastes hence I'm asking for any that are good yet reasonably easy to obtain. Whitebridges - been trying to get my hands on that very one, had a call from Fullers today advising me that our local Sainsbury's stock this brew - 14 mile round journey only to be told that they have never heard of it :/

What characteristics do you like in a porter? A Porter is basically a strong, dark ale which was traditionally drunk by the early morning porters in London's markets - Over the years it's become somewhat stretched and confused in it's description and gets lumped in with dark ales, stouts and such like.

9 hours ago, Whitebridges said:

This stuff is a good drop.

london-porter_660x710_v4.png

One of the best I've had - and uses brown malt giving it a more authentic taste.

Porter is, though, one of the hardest styles to find a truly authentic definition for stylewise as it was originally a blend of strong, aged beer and younger beer to the taste of the drinker.  Not all bad news though, since it means you can find an example you like and enjoy it without too much fussiness. 

3 hours ago, Zapp said:

One of the best I've had - and uses brown malt giving it a more authentic taste.

Porter is, though, one of the hardest styles to find a truly authentic definition for stylewise as it was originally a blend of strong, aged beer and younger beer to the taste of the drinker.  Not all bad news though, since it means you can find an example you like and enjoy it without too much fussiness. 

That was also my take on what made a porter, a blend rather than a specific brew.  I wonder how many are made that way now? As for a reccomendation, it's got to be Fullers!

16 hours ago, Zapp said:

Glad you like it. Made with fuggles hops. It suits my palate.

So good news everyone....after contacting Fullers they gave me details of a local ( 8 miles away) stockist and off I popped only to be told that they have never stocked the stuff, rang Fullers back and they have not only spent a considerable amount of time contacting local outlets ( and found one that actually has the stuff) but they are sending me a not quite a few bottles as an apology - 14 was mentioned :yahoo:.

20 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

So good news everyone....after contacting Fullers they gave me details of a local ( 8 miles away) stockist and off I popped only to be told that they have never stocked the stuff, rang Fullers back and they have not only spent a considerable amount of time contacting local outlets ( and found one that actually has the stuff) but they are sending me a not quite a few bottles as an apology - 14 was mentioned :yahoo:.

Put the lottery on, maybe that luck will hold. :good:

7 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

We'll aren't you a lucky ### never tried or even heard of porter ales, but booths normally stock a good range of different varieties, wife doesn't like me going though because I buy what takes my fancy 

• 2 weeks later...

Wb123 - I wouldn't bother, it's unusual bordering on sickly - the guy at Morrison's spent over half an hour looking thru their stores before finally finding a pack of eight bottles that I then felt duty bound to buy - got 7 left that are going down the sink. The Sainsbury one you mention I'm guessing is the "London Porter" this is made by the Shepherd Neame Brewery so is bound to be good - I think they supply this one to various Supermarkets who brand it as their own. Still struggling to find a better one than the Fullers but enjoying the quest :beer:.

On 13 February 2018 at 09:46, bruno22rf said:

Wb123 - I wouldn't bother, it's unusual bordering on sickly - the guy at Morrison's spent over half an hour looking thru their stores before finally finding a pack of eight bottles that I then felt duty bound to buy - got 7 left that are going down the sink. The Sainsbury one you mention I'm guessing is the "London Porter" this is made by the Shepherd Neame Brewery so is bound to be good - I think they supply this one to various Supermarkets who brand it as their own. Still struggling to find a better one than the Fullers but enjoying the quest :beer:.

Thats the one, tasty stuff. 

I might try the plum stuff after pudding, like a desert wine.