Lily Allen at it again

Newbie to this

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/5412344/lily-allen-zulu-victoria-cross-winners-colonialism-tube/

Now it's not OK to remember war heroes because it happened during colonial times, when will this lefty Political Correctness end. Regardless of the colonialism, it was still an amazing act of bravery, against overwhelming odds and more importantly a part of our history.

It’s a sad world we live in today where the brave and often unbelievable acts that soldiers carried out usually in the face of unspeakable horror, are villifed because some bint doesn’t like what they were fighting for. And that doesn’t just stand for our own soldiers but soldiers all over the world. True warriors who carry our their duty unwaveringly, wiry no agenda other than to stay alive long enough to die an old man. The soldiers are just following orders and extraordinary acts of bravery and courage deserve celebrating not condemning. I’d be interested to know her view on the Romans or the Normans...are they too far back in history to count? The Romans’ especially colonised, conquered and enslaved a huge proportion of the known world. Silly tart. 

Just now, yod dropper said:

You may dismiss her but she is influential and this type of ideology is much more mainstream than you'd think.

You are right, and it is one of the greatest 'dangers' facing the UK (as we know it) today - and will end up with us like a European version of Venezuela - both morally and financially broken.

I think it’s quite unsettling when people try to apply today’s expected standards (even morals) on the acts of history. 

I see absolutely no reason why anyone living presently should be made to feel ashamed for the actions of their ancestors, justifiable or not. The idea is ridiculous. 

47 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think it’s quite unsettling when people try to apply today’s expected standards (even morals) on the acts of history. 

I see absolutely no reason why anyone living presently should be made to feel ashamed for the actions of their ancestors, justifiable or not. The idea is ridiculous. 

Spot on :good:

I am fully with the sentiment here and they were no doubt heroic acts of heroism in dire circumstances that we can barely imagine. It's important to separate the gallantry (which we remember) from the background of atrocity's or we would loose some great hero's from our history. Thinking here of the Boer war where the British ran concentration camps and are even today vilified by the Boer descendants. All war has it's horrific side but heroes and heroines should be remembered. 

These brave men should be remembered, regardless of the times they lived in. Why they were there, doesn't diminish their great acts of courage and bravery.

I would dare to say that most of these soldiers had no choice in joining the army and didn't care one bit about colonialism, they just didn't want theirselves or their fellow soldiers to die.

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Yes bang on as usual Scully

We have a soldier who won a VC at rouke's drift buried in our local churchyard, Robert Jones VC. He won it defending the hospital and was wounded fighting hand to hand when he had run out of ammunition, allowing patients to be moved. He was alleged to have taken his own life, although this is argued as his boss's shotgun he was carrying had a hair trigger and he was found next to a fence. Due to his unfortunate deaths being seen as suicide he was initially denied burial in his home churchyard. After much lobbying he was granted the burial, but had to be carried over the wall, he was not allowed through the church gates, and his headstone was reversed. It was alleged that he was suffering with terrible flashbacks and nightmares, now known as PTSD but not recognised back then.

The poor chap did more that he was asked to in horrific circumstances, probably got bullied when back in his regiment for having the recognition of a VC, suffered long term psychological effects and was nearly shunned by his church.

Like has been said earlier, how can people apply current ridiculous left wing thinking to historic events is beyond me. Can we no longer celebrate heroes for fear of someone being offended. The world has gone mad.

She’s only made these comments so people talk about her, which you are all doing. 

Shes the opposite end of the annoying spectrum of Katie Hopkins and the same as Pierce Morgan - they don’t care what they’re talking about they’re just trying to get enough people annoyed / in support so they further their name and some some big tv contracts. 

Just ignore the fools! 

There is a massive church in a village local to me; absolutely huge. Visitors often remark on its size given the size of the village, which was even smaller at the time the Church was built.

It’s build was apparently funded on the back of proceeds from the opium trade and all that that trade entailed.

There will be many establishment buildings in London and other cities and villages, the building of which will have been funded by the exploitation of someone.  Does this stupid logic mean we knock them down? 

1 minute ago, Scully said:

There is a massive church in a village local to me; absolutely huge. Visitors often remark on its size given the size of the village, which was even smaller at the time the Church was built.

It’s build was apparently funded on the back of proceeds from the opium trade and all that that trade entailed.

There will be many establishment buildings in London and other cities and villages, the building of which will have been funded by the exploitation of someone.  Does this stupid logic mean we knock them down? 

I bet theres plenty of self righteous  idiots who would say yes.