Old carving knife

PeterHenry

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong forum for this - but i thought I would get more replies here than in the food and drink section.

Anyway, I found myself a fairly decent Victorian carving set today - minus the steel and case - but the knife had no edge - like absolutly no edge. My paper knife had more edge in fact.

So I set about trying to do something about it with my whet stone - and finaly (I'll admit I'm not the best at these things) - I go an edge on it, but I'm worried now I may have taken too much metal off it. Which is why I'm posting these here to see what other pepole think.

The other old carving knife I have has a much deeper blade, but a quick search online shows quite a variety of diffrent styles of blades out there...

Stupidly - I took no before photos

IMG_20180125_565.jpg

IMG_20180125_49643.jpg

IMG_20180125_33118.jpg

Did you lubricate that stone in any way prior to use  ?  I have one that belonged to my Father, he used it to very good effect and sharpened all of his gardening knives, his woodwork chisels and Mothers household knives. He always put a few drops of 'Singer sowing machine oil on the stone before he used it.  I still use the stone (not as well as he did though), but I use a few drops of 3 in 1 oil.  I have never ever seen such a large amount of 'debris' on the bench after using a whetstone though.

We still use their old carving set and the blade looks about the same as yours. 

Edited by Westley

18 minutes ago, Westley said:

Did you lubricate that stone in any way prior to use  ?  I have one that belonged to my Father, he used it to very good effect and sharpened all of his gardening knives, his woodwork chisels and Mothers household knives. He always put a few drops of 'Singer sowing machine oil on the stone before he used it.  I still use the stone (not as well as he did though), but I use a few drops of 3 in 1 oil.  I have never ever seen such a large amount of 'debris' on the bench after using a whetstone though. 

I submerged it in a sink of warm water for five minutes before using it.

The blade was practicaly flat - no exaggerating - so it took me a while to build up an edge on it, which probably accounts for most of it. My lack of skill will have accounted for the rest

Ah, ok - thats last bits put my mind at ease a little haha 

Edited by PeterHenry

• 4 weeks later...

I was a chef in my younger days and would often use a stone to get an edge on my work knives. The stone was also lubricated with light oil (sometimes out of the deep fat fryer) but it would eventually clog up, so got the occasional bath and scourer scrub in hot soapy water. I knew when a knife was sharp enough, when I could shave the hairs on my arm.