Toilet flush mechanism broke

TaxiDriver

I think it’s the bit inside the syphon which has snapped by what you describe and if that is the case you will have to remove the cistern if it’s a close coupled one to replace the syphon mechanism as there is a big plastic nut below holding it on

cheers

tom

1 hour ago, ips said:

no

you can by that part from b&q for instance, and you can slide the broken bit off the handle shaft and put new bit on then you connect the wire bit that lifts the plunger bit up

It's the top of the plunger that's snapped,  where the wire would be connected to it from the handle

53 minutes ago, elgreco said:

I think it’s the bit inside the syphon which has snapped by what you describe and if that is the case you will have to remove the cistern if it’s a close coupled one to replace the syphon mechanism as there is a big plastic nut below holding it on

cheers

tom

Thanks,.

Thats rather what I was afraid of :(

it is a close coupled cistern mounted directly to the toilet.  Can't see any valve to isolate the water supply to toilet however :( (that'd be too easy)

THANK YOU GENTS.

Edited by TaxiDriver
Post script added.

7 minutes ago, elgreco said:

Just as easy to turn off at the stopcock it should only take 1/2 an hour to sort. Good luck :-)

This is Taxidriver you know, this could be the next tsunami.

Taxidriver it's not that hard to replace, but while the waters off put an isolation valve in, the flexi type.

Best of luck, if you were closer i would do it for you. Hope your all well and good. :good:

11 hours ago, Dougy said:

This is Taxidriver you know, this could be the next tsunami.

Taxidriver it's not that hard to replace, but while the waters off put an isolation valve in, the flexi type.

Best of luck, if you were closer i would do it for you. Hope your all well and good. :good:

It better not be the next tsunami - I'm on a water meter !!!

the feed to the bottom of the cistern is a solid copper pipe,. No flexi pipe that I can see.

2 minutes ago, TaxiDriver said:

It better not be the next tsunami - I'm on a water meter !!!

the feed to the bottom of the cistern is a solid copper pipe,. No flexi pipe that I can see.

While the water is off put in a flexi pipe with a service valve in, (make suer you get the correct fitting) less than a fiver at Wickes,  you will need a pipe cutter, its a simple job that in the future will make life easier. 

TaxiDriver,

Buy new syphon,speed fit isolation valve.

Turn off water in the path as its probs plastic so easier,

Flush loo,remove seat,lay old towel and bowl under pipe and cut it,undo cistern wing nuts and carefuly empty rest of water in to pan,replace syphon and reverse process and insert the isolation left in closed postion,now turn water mains on and test for leaks,if all good after a couple of flushes replace seat.

If it only takes you 1/2 hour give me a shout and i will put you on the call out router.

get your (left hand if your a right hander)hand inside the cistern and put your fingers up inside the bottom of the syphon and push, the rod will come out of the top there will be a hole in it to attach a c hook  https://www.screwfix.com/p/euroflo-plastic-wc-cistern-lever-kit/6854R?tc=CA5&ds_rl=1249481&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpN3VkcL22AIVLrftCh0QcQOlEAQYASABEgJtsvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJvfgpbC9tgCFVYh0wodD4MAmQ

attach plastic arm on one end and other straight onto the lever

On 26 January 2018 at 20:57, Winston72 said:

get your (left hand if your a right hander)hand inside the cistern and put your fingers up inside the bottom of the syphon and push, the rod will come out of the top there will be a hole in it to attach a c hook  https://www.screwfix.com/p/euroflo-plastic-wc-cistern-lever-kit/6854R?tc=CA5&ds_rl=1249481&ds_rl=1245250&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpN3VkcL22AIVLrftCh0QcQOlEAQYASABEgJtsvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJvfgpbC9tgCFVYh0wodD4MAmQ

attach plastic arm on one end and other straight onto the lever

Winston,. It's not the handle that's broke but the top of the syphon where the metal linkage attaches to has snapped off.

Good news is, it's a 'metro' syphon so apparently it can be changed without dismantling the toilet but the plumber couldn't get one over the weekend.