Panorama - Driven Game Shooting

JJsDad

Keep an eye open for a Panorama programme entitled "The Truth Behind Driven Game Shooting". Its currently held up from being screened by a legal challenge but this may not succeed. The programme hinges about excessive bags of Pheasant shot on a Yorkshire estate that do not make it into the food chain and end up being destroyed. It will unfortunately by the nature of the slant portray all forms of shooting in a very poor light and will have the anti-shooting brigade screaming their heads off from the roof tops.  If the programme is factually correct it begs the question, how on earth the shoot owners / manager(s) allowed this to be filmed.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From information I have gathered I understand that the programme will highlight what they call 'excessive bags ' where hundreds of birds are shot and not put into the food chain , I have even heard of incinerators being employed to dispose of carcasses.All very worrying if not documented and explained correctly .

Poultry Farmers have massive losses which the general public do not hear about and they are very content to buy their supermarket chickens .

Beef Farmers dispose of unwanted bull calves , veal calves etc. Sadly it is an industry .

A pheasant is not actually a native British species , it is raised at a cost , shot  at a much higher cost and some goes into the food chain to supply demand the rest is surplus to demand and must be disposed of . Could this surplus not be converted into animal food?

Let us just face facts Shooting Sport is deemed to be cruel , barbaric and anti-social and the sooner Guns are taken off the streets the better , so that the police can then deal with knife crime , road rage, speeding cars , drugs and lying politicians and Chief Inspectors .

22 minutes ago, Salopian said:

From information I have gathered I understand that the programme will highlight what they call 'excessive bags ' where hundreds of birds are shot and not put into the food chain , I have even heard of incinerators being employed to dispose of carcasses.All very worrying if not documented and explained correctly .

Poultry Farmers have massive losses which the general public do not hear about and they are very content to buy their supermarket chickens .

Beef Farmers dispose of unwanted bull calves , veal calves etc. Sadly it is an industry .

A pheasant is not actually a native British species , it is raised at a cost , shot  at a much higher cost and some goes into the food chain to supply demand the rest is surplus to demand and must be disposed of . Could this surplus not be converted into animal food?

Let us just face facts Shooting Sport is deemed to be cruel , barbaric and anti-social and the sooner Guns are taken off the streets the better , so that the police can then deal with knife crime , road rage, speeding cars , drugs and lying politicians and Chief Inspectors .

Beef farmer do not dispose of beef calves,

dairy farms dispose of there dairy breed beef calves because they are down with TB. They have no choice but shoot them as they cannot be moved.

On the subject of "shot game" reading this article is a must..........http://www.countryside-alliance.org/securing-future-shoots-must-regulate-shooting/?utm_campaign=294508_Newsletter - 260118&utm_medium=dotmailer&utm_source=Countryside Alliance&dm_i=44G9,6B8S,1M5LFE,OMTT,1

Once again. Full credit to the Countryside Alliance, who now appear to be at the forefront of promoting shooting and all that it entails.

32 minutes ago, Salopian said:

You really need to know your facts before blathering a load of rubbish.

Poultry farmers DO NOT suffer massive losses.

Bull calves are more profitable than heifer calves for beef farmers.

Your constant negative comments on game shooting make those opposed to our sport sound like angels.

What can be done.............have a read of this from the CA http://www.countryside-alliance.org/securing-future-shoots-must-regulate-shooting/?utm_campaign=294508_Newsletter - 260118&utm_medium=dotmailer&utm_source=Countryside Alliance&dm_i=44G9,6B8S,1M5LFE,OMTT,1

57 minutes ago, Salopian said:

Do poultry farms invite people to pay and shoot the unwanted "losses" ? I think you'll find your average layman more sympathetic to wastage incurred in human food production than shooting as a hobby. 

I could see this coming some 20 years ago, to be honest.  I picked up on a private estate for over 30 years, but after the death of the owner, the entire shoot and Gamekeeper were taken over by a (wealthy) syndicate.  I continued to go, but the bag numbers had increased from a leisurely  150 bird days to high pressure and high speed 250 plus bird days. We would still be clearing the ground behind the gun pegs,  when we could hear the shooting from the next drive.  We were forced into leaving so many birds, to make the next drive, but then having missed half of that drive, more birds were lost. We also went from a 3 course sit down meal in the village hall to a quick sandwich in the 'beaters hut', (ex chicken shed). On one occasion, when the bag topped 300 birds picked, I commented that we must have left over 100 on the ground, I was told by one gun "that's why your'e paid,  to pick them "  !  I never returned after that season.  

We have no one to blame but ourselves and the greed of some commercial shoot operators. 

We may end up with stricter regulation or a ban on the release of huge numbers of birds. 

Driven shooting is outlawed in some parts of europe. 

Itscup to the shooting community to resolve, there is no moral justification to shoot several hundred birds in a day and that is what non shooting folk object to. If it cant be eaten it shouldnt be shot. If we see huge commercial shoots a thing of the past then it may be a good thing for us all.

As ever a minority spoil things for the majority.

Edited by grahamch
spelling

45 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

But then you will be in more trouble , that the getting rid of pheasants .

Not really as the pilot would know ( after taking his test ) that he should not be flying over private property. 

What’s he going to do . Call the police to tell them how he has just broken the law ?

Edited by stevo

28 minutes ago, Mice! said:

If the program turns out as bad as people are fearing it might its going to be a case of hard hats on me thinks, its always about class which ever way you look at it.

If the program is as bad as we all fear , I think the game shooting fraternity will have some explaining to do , and I rekon there could be some very dim views taken by the rest of the shooting folk towards them , and rightly so if they have knowingly bought the rest of us shooters and our field sports into disrepute . 

8 minutes ago, stevo said:

If the program is as bad as we all fear , I think the game shooting fraternity will have some explaining to do , and I rekon there could be some very dim views taken by the rest of the shooting folk towards them , and rightly so if they have knowingly bought the rest of us shooters and our field sports into disrepute . 

Totally agree, I've said in other similar threads that game shooting needs to sort its self out before someone else does it for them. It's still big business in a lot of rural areas but change is better than having rules imposed on you.

4 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, local shoot i know shot 65 pheasants and had about 50 surplus, gave a few away free and rest went in skip, OH today i watched a farming programme and this farmer and wife now make pheasant crisps !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this fact?  Or mate’s hearsay?  

65 doesn’t sound like a big bag.

2 minutes ago, markm said:

65 doesn’t sound like a big bag. hello, it is true, a small farmers shoot, about 6 guns and a few beaters, like a walk and shoot on 500 acres, some were put in the egg shop and not many interested for free

I have no issue with bag size. To me a shoot that shoots 65 and uses them all is as good as a 300 day if all get used. If the 65 got shot and none got used but the 300 all got used would you all moan about the "big bag" day??? 

I dont agree with wastage. But in this country if its fluffy or cute, we are barbaric if we kill and eat it, and even meat eaters will go awww if i say to them i eat rabbit. We have been conditioned in this country to four main meat foods, all farmed and some in appalling conditions. Yet when you walk into a supermarket you are blind to what that maybe. You are greated with two lovely looking steaks or chops, thighs and ribs etc.. 

53 minutes ago, markm said:

65 doesn’t sound like a big bag.

In the past when game had a value at game dealers those were the shoots most affected, as to small a number to make it worthwhile going to a game dealer.

Before everyone gets on there 'big bag high horse' I've actually just had my last day today on a shoot that I've been going to for the last 30yrs.

Bags are well down on wot they have been, which for me has never been an issue (as all game sold and still never heard 1st hand of game being destroyed) but the lack of respect shown by the guns. In the past even with the larger bags the guns also showed the birds a decent amount of respect

Just purely because ur shooting a 'big bag' does not mean ur not a sportsman or countryman and equally just because u shoot small days does not make u a sportsman either