New RFD Law

wabbitbosher

Got this today from Northants Police

whats your thoughts guys n galls ? 

We have been advised that you are transferring sold shotguns to other RFD’s and asking them to sign them onto a recipient’s Firearm or Shotgun certificate which is an incorrect procedure.

If you are selling a shot gun but the recipient wishes to collect it from another RFD then the following procedure must be followed:

Buyer posts his Shotgun or Firearm Certificate to yourself

Certificate confirmed as valid with any required authorities

Sold Firearm/Shotgun signed by you onto the recipient’s certificate

Certificate posted back to holder

Firearm / Shotgun sent to local RFD for collection

Recipient attends local RFD with certificate already showing firearm/shotgun to collect this

Please ensure that the correct procedure is followed for future weapon transfers

And in the mean time your SGC is lost or stolen in the post then what? who is responsible? Just another way to make it hard for Dealers such as Mick who puts out some terrific guns at a very good price to shooters looking for quality at a decent price. It's also a lot of messing about tooing and frowing with other peoples SGC

Must be different here in Sussex then as just had my third gun transferred though the dealer I use and none of this sending licenses.. actually checked after reading on here about RFD and was told the way the dealer was doing it was correct. RFD here takes guns when it’s transferred to them and then puts it on my cert,  Easy 

Edited by MFC

1 minute ago, MFC said:

Must be different here in Sussex then as just had my third gun transferred though the dealer I use and none of this sending licenses.. actually checked after reading on here about RFD and was told the way the dealer was doing it was correct. RFD her takes guns when it’s transferred to them and then puts it on my cert,  Easy 

easy but wrong

2 minutes ago, MFC said:

Must be different here in Sussex then as just had my third gun transferred though the dealer I use and none of this sending licenses.. actually checked after reading on here about RFD and was told the way the dealer was doing it was correct. RFD her takes guns when it’s transferred to them and then puts it on my cert,  Easy 

Just because that's the way someone is doing it doesn't mean it's right!

I used to do it that way but after being questioned/warned by FLO I made a call to BASC and read up on the law/regs and it is indeed the way Mick says.

In fact I spoke to Mick a while ago about it.

The seller (Rfd or not) is required to notify of who he sells the gun to, not who he transferd it to. 

If the RFD at the other end takes the money from the buyer and sends it to me then I can sell/transfer to gun to the RFD thus negating the need to send certs etc 

I think it's to do with the fact that firearms departments have no record of dealer to dealer transfers.

Not saying that's quite in the spirit of the law but it certainly means that I am not technically doing anything wrong.

Edd

10 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

That’s the way it’s always meant to have been done however the way it has been done was (still is) accepted by some forces and was as secure and easier but there we go.  

I agree that booking it out to the RFD at the other end is much easier all round but I actually had a written warning when renewing my RFD. 

Another example of certain firearms licensing areas making their own interpretation of the law.

Edd

10 hours ago, HW95J said:

Is there any real advantage to this method? Surely it's more of a security issue to risk your certificate disappearing every time. Provided an RFD is handling the actual transfer then all the required procedure will be done.

The only advantage I can see is that there is no system other than our own paperwork to record dealer to dealer transfers. I do not notify firearms licensing of guns that I get from or sell to other dealers. Therefore I get regular calls from licensing asking me where I got a certain gun from or where one went because as soon as it goes out of the policing area it can be lost. It happens to me a couple of times a month

Edd 

8 minutes ago, telf said:

What happens charges wise for the receiving rfd , I thought the charge you pay your rfd was for paperwork etc if he’s got no paperwork to do ,no charge ?

The one I use will receive the gun, unpack it, check it is the one its meant to be and also check for any damage or problems etc and the check its entered on the certificate properly. for this he charges £20

1 hour ago, telf said:

What happens charges wise for the receiving rfd , I thought the charge you pay your rfd was for paperwork etc if he’s got no paperwork to do ,no charge ?

Still have to do the paperwork. It's entered into the register as a transfer and still booked back out as a transfer for the buyer but just noted as such- transfer not sale.

Edd 

4 minutes ago, Harnser said:

This method falls down as the RFD who receives the ticket cannot confirm the identity of the buyer from the photo on the ticket .

harnser

But covered by the receiving RFD checking the certificate with the gun listed on it belongs to the person collecting it as he does on the other system.  

1 hour ago, welshwarrior said:

But covered by the receiving RFD checking the certificate with the gun listed on it belongs to the person collecting it as he does on the other system.  

But this is open to abuse buy a not so honest RFD. We have seen some serious offences just lately involving the movement of guns via less than honest gun dealers .

harnser

On 26/01/2018 at 20:21, wabbitbosher said:

Got this today from Northants Police

whats your thoughts guys n galls ? 

We have been advised that you are transferring sold shotguns to other RFD’s and asking them to sign them onto a recipient’s Firearm or Shotgun certificate which is an incorrect procedure.

If you are selling a shot gun but the recipient wishes to collect it from another RFD then the following procedure must be followed:

Buyer posts his Shotgun or Firearm Certificate to yourself

Certificate confirmed as valid with any required authorities

Sold Firearm/Shotgun signed by you onto the recipient’s certificate

Certificate posted back to holder

Firearm / Shotgun sent to local RFD for collection

Recipient attends local RFD with certificate already showing firearm/shotgun to collect this

Please ensure that the correct procedure is followed for future weapon transfers

Well Mick it seems they have caught up with you and you will have to do it their way from now on, not worth losing your RFD ticket for!:good:

11 hours ago, eddoakley said:

Still have to do the paperwork. It's entered into the register as a transfer and still booked back out as a transfer for the buyer but just noted as such- transfer not sale.

Edd 

so you have to still register the gun in/out even though the original RFD has done the checks and it is already on your cert,is this not the same way it happens now other than the receiving RFD would normally do what the selling RFD is doing ?

1 hour ago, telf said:

so you have to still register the gun in/out even though the original RFD has done the checks and it is already on your cert,is this not the same way it happens now other than the receiving RFD would normally do what the selling RFD is doing ?

Yeah pretty much the same. It's obvious to all that it's more complicated way of doing things but it's the way it has to be done.

Every gun that comes in is booked in, whether that be for sale, transfer or repair. Then booked back out.

Edd