20 Bore Choke Question

Alex1Nat2

I've recently acquired a 20 Bore Multichoke.

Guy who I got it from said 'I just shoot with 1/4 & 1/2.

Now I know these chokes are pretty standard with many game shooters when using a 12 bore (Me included)

So the question is.......

As the 20 bore tubes are smaller, does this really mean I would be shooting with much tighter patterns?

Logically the answer is yes but just wanted to check there wasn't some technical ballistics thing I'm missing? 

I shot with it today & stuff I hit was hit hard with plenty of feathers out.

For interest I was using 25gm 6's.

I plan to check on a pattern plate but just interested in any info.

Regards

Steve

No. They should be the same. A choke marked as  1/4 in a 12 should in theory be the same as one marked  1/4 in a 20.

That doesn't tell the whole story though.

1n a 12,  1/4 would measure at 5 thou constriction but in a 20 bore 5 thou would be tighter than 1/4. So in a 20bore a choke marked as 1/4 would have less constriction. 

Check out the choke charts on the Teague website. 

Edited by Paul1440

12 hours ago, Paul1440 said:

No. They should be the same. A choke marked as  1/4 in a 12 should in theory be the same as one marked  1/4 in a 20.

That doesn't tell the whole story though.

1n a 12,  1/4 would measure at 5 thou constriction but in a 20 bore 5 thou would be tighter than 1/4. So in a 20bore a choke marked as 1/4 would have less constriction. 

Check out the choke charts on the Teague website. 

Actually in 12 bore 1/4 choke would be .010" .

Choke sizes will vary according to bore size ,if memory serves full choke  in 20 bore is .025" ,3/4 .018", 1/2  .012" and 1/4 is .006".

Different makers will claim slight differences on this , but rule of thumb take the full choke size and divide by 4 which would give 6 , 12 , 18 , and 24 thou . 

A thou either way will not make any difference , unless you are looking for an excuse  because you cant hit anything .  These are the measurements I have used for years without any complaint 

Edited by Gunman
corrections

3 hours ago, Gunman said:

Choke sizes will vary according to bore size ,if memory serves full choke  in 20 bore is .025" ,3/4 .018", 1/2  .012" and 1/4 is .006".

Different makers will claim slight differences on this , but rule of thumb take the full choke size and divide by 4 which would give 6 , 12 , 18 , and 24 thou . 

A thou either way will not make any difference , unless you are looking for an excuse  because you cant hit anything .  These are the measurements I have used for years without any complaint 

Yes your correct 010 not 005 in a 12.  I actually edited my original post by mistake from 010 as I  read the choke tables and  got my facts mixed up. (Was late and I'm full of a heavy cold) 

12 hours ago, Gunman said:

+1