KNIFE_SHARPENING_JIG

Bazooka Joe

Noticed a few knife threads a couple of weeks ago which sparked a project off that I've been meaning to do for quite a while. Haunted Utube for a couple of nights & decided on a plan to make a knife jig for myself.

I liked the idea of the Lansky system, but looking at the different jigs they have I wasn't going down that route, they look a bit flimsy, maybe me, because I haven't had a look at them in real time, but like our lass say's, " you need something you know you've got a hold of, & don't need to kick to get it going"..:wub:

So into the mancave to see what's lying about. A bit of trial & error on a couple of bits, mainly getting the sharpening angle clear of the clamp holding the knife, & the universal joint holding the bar that keeps the stone at the angle preferred, but ABC after that.

It will sharpen at 5*-10*-15* -20*, I've cut grooves into the bar that adjusts the height for the angle, & TBH is a breeze to use.

It's just the right weight, no pressure needed.

Didn't want to layout for a Japanese Waterstone in case it went AWOL, so I bought a el-cheapo Silverline Coarse/Meduim stone off the bay of plenty for a bank breaking £3, & it does the biz.

I'm now going to splash out on some Diamond Sharpening Stones, different grades, just to get the edge roughed to the right angle ready to finish off with a Japenese Water Stone.

All in all it was worth doing & didn't break the bank.

I9xVdxT.jpg

7GQ7aO9.jpg

NmRGAHy.jpg

VOYqR9s.jpg

RjG3NzL.jpg

8BGGNLM.jpg

The universal joint looks interesting what' it made of?

Bit of ally pipe, lump of brass, two 6mm bolts, connected by 12mm stud, swivels either way, it works extremely well...might even patent it..:)

Really like the look of this. There may even be a market for it. I’d be tempted!

Possibility, I'd have to source the materials though.

There's a bit more to it that I thought, I was working blind, measure twice cut once all the time.

TBH this is a prototype, now I've got the dimensions I can reference to it if I make anymore.

Thanks for the replies, appreciated...:good:

• 11 months later...

i looked at this a year ago...and i think you have made a spot on job...it is well made ...can be adapted to take nearly any stone...and looks functional.......

i prefer to use diamond files ...medium and fine.........quick and easy..............but to put a first edge on a new made full scandi cut blade....that is a tool i would defo use:good:

i prefer to use diamond files ...medium and fine.........quick and easy..............but to put a first edge on a new made full scandi cut blade....that is a tool i would defo use:good:

Very early on after making it I swapped to diamond files, in fact I've just restored a Frosts Mora today using it, I'm going to post a thread on it soon...:good:

17 hours ago, Newbie to this said:

I was thinking about giving making one a try :good: it probably won't come out any good but you never know.

If you need any help. Newbie just pm me @ ill go into detail, its really 1st year metalwork stuff but you struggle without a lathe/mill drill etc... 👍 

6 hours ago, Bazooka Joe said:

If you need any help. Newbie just pm me @ ill go into detail, its really 1st year metalwork stuff but you struggle without a lathe/mill drill etc... 👍 

Thanks for the kind offer of help, but if it requires a lathe and mill drill then I will probably just buy a sharpening set.

Edited by Newbie to this