North v South gun shops

Bluebarrels

Now don't get me wrong we have to get out carts/guns/kit etc where we can/local to where we live :good:

But is it just me that thinks theres a big difference between North/South gunshops :whistling:

My local shops in the South are always badly stocked,very few guns,limited in everything they sell and generally expensive and unhelpful.

But its the opposite of my local Gun shop in the North (Lincs) very well stocked,massive selection of new/used guns,clothing,deeks,decoying equipment,carts stacked in slabs of each guage with prices on boxes :good:indoor rifle range to try before you buy,freindly  helpful staff and sensible prices.

Just a recent observation chaps :yes:

I contacted my local shop in the  North via FB messenger to see if he had .410 shells in stock,got a reply more or less straight away and they were neary 20 notes cheaper (for 250)than what I pay in the South but im told theres hardly any profit in stocking cartridges :lol: 

I checked opening times for my local shop in the South on his website which stated he was open:yes:got there CLOSED

Edited by Bluebarrels

hello, there are 5 within 20 miles from me, just before i got my FAC and shotgun certificate i contacted each with a view to get a CZ455 L/R and semi auto 12 guage and a few other shooting things 3 did not bother to reply,  1 was not realy bothered but the usual best visit first, 1 was straight back with a confirmation and good price, so an order was placed, picked up 2 weeks later,  that was 2 years ago and have used this RFD again, i did try 5 semi autos with the Armsan best fit and weight 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Try living in the midlands. I think we have at least 10-15 shops within 20 minutes and I live 3 miles away from the express factory. 

Spoilt for choice and awesome gunsmiths.

Solware

mid counties

sporting supplies

livens

melbourne

john Knibbs 

shooting sports

country man

garlands

Wisemans 

Edited by team tractor

3 minutes ago, DrBob said:

Hi Teamtractor,

what’s Wiseman’s like?

i used to go to the shop in Price St, Birmingham, and it was an absolute treasure trove; a proper old gunsmiths.

is it still?

I’ve never been sorry as I use mid counties for a gun smith. 

Not many old style shops left unfortunately.we lost country sports years ago in Tamworth and that was a treasure trove .

27 minutes ago, DrBob said:

Hi Teamtractor,

what’s Wiseman’s like?

i used to go to the shop in Price St, Birmingham, and it was an absolute treasure trove; a proper old gunsmiths.

is it still?

Are you sure there was a Wiseman's in price street?  I know Benjamin wilds were in price at as that is where I used to get my reloading components from before I moved down to Somerset and Wiseman's are on the outskirts of Cannock.

42 minutes ago, DrBob said:

Hi Teamtractor,

what’s Wiseman’s like?

is it still?

YES, very much so. I was there at the back end of last year. They actually bent the stock on a Beretta EELL whilst we went for lunch. I would not consider anyone else for barrel blacking. NOT the cheapest, but certainly one of the best.

Hi Sportsbob,

Wisemans were in the old Birmingham gun quarter, I’m pretty sure it was in Price St; close to Wilde. This would be in the late seventies. I used to buy all my reloading stuff from them.

Wilde is still there , Colin Wilde died in 2016, Steve Horton at the helm of Hortons, the area has shrunk dramatically, I haven’t checked out Wiseman’s yet, but will make it a Spring project to drop by.

18 hours ago, Bluebarrels said:

Now don't get me wrong we have to get out carts/guns/kit etc where we can/local to where we live :good:

But is it just me that thinks theres a big difference between North/South gunshops

My local shops in the South are always badly stocked,very few guns,limited in everything they sell and generally expensive and unhelpful.

But its the opposite of my local Gun shop in the North (Lincs) very well stocked,massive selection of new/used guns,clothing,deeks,decoying equipment,carts stacked in slabs of each guage with prices on boxes :good:indoor rifle range to try before you buy,freindly  helpful staff and sensible prices.

Just a recent observation chaps

I contacted my local shop in the  North via FB messenger to see if he had .410 shells in stock,got a reply more or less straight away and they were neary 20 notes cheaper (for 250)than what I pay in the South but im told theres hardly any profit in stocking cartridges  

I checked opening times for my local shop in the South on his website which stated he was opengot there CLOSED

Im with you on this. Im from Yorkshire originally but live in Hampshire now. Fortunately i travel around a lot with work and very rarely buy anything down south

20 hours ago, DrBob said:

Hi Sportsbob,

Wisemans were in the old Birmingham gun quarter, I’m pretty sure it was in Price St; close to Wilde. This would be in the late seventies. I used to buy all my reloading stuff from them.

Wilde is still there , Colin Wilde died in 2016, Steve Horton at the helm of Hortons, the area has shrunk dramatically, I haven’t checked out Wiseman’s yet, but will make it a Spring project to drop by.

Thanks DrBob just about when I first got my ticket then, I used Wisemans to do stock work for me on a couple of guns after someone in Price St almost ruining a new Browning stock. If I ever need anymore stock work I would probably drive up there as they really did a fantastic jobs on both of them.

On 28/01/2018 at 16:05, AYA117 said:

Try Lamberts in Ringwwod, very friendly and helpful, I am in Dorset but go there, even though I have closer ones.

Agreed, I'm East Dorset but head to Lamberts. I don't find my local one very friendly or helpful. 

My local RFD is excellent, I find him extremely helpful, and most of the time his prices are very competitive. He normally has a look online finds the cheapest price then knocks a bit off. I suppose it's just the luck of the draw. Unfortunately he doesn't have anywhere to test the guns before you buy, mainly because he is on a high street, but he does have a selection of demo guns which you can rent and if you buy the rental comes off the price.

They're not all bad down south :lol: