Live baiting

yates

When walking the dogs yesterday I noticed that someone had set up a hide in the field opposite to where I was walking. I noticed two people in the hide looking over the decoy pattern they had set up. I noticed that a pigeon flapping and trying to take off from the pattern about 15/20 paces away from the hide. Believing that they had just shot the bird I expected one of them to come and dispatch it. But both sat down, after watching for a few minutes it was obvious that that the bird had been tethered to the spot and could not take off. Appalling even for South Yorkshire. Is this a normal thing as it disgusted me?

5 minutes ago, yates said:

When walking the dogs yesterday I noticed that someone had set up a hide in the field opposite to where I was walking. I noticed two people in the hide looking over the decoy pattern they had set up. I noticed that a pigeon flapping and trying to take off from the pattern about 15/20 paces away from the hide. Believing that they had just shot the bird I expected one of them to come and dispatch it. But both sat down, after watching for a few minutes it was obvious that that the bird had been tethered to the spot and could not take off. Appalling even for South Yorkshire. Is this a normal thing as it disgusted me?

It used to be the done thing, but that was outlawed years ago!

41 minutes ago, yates said:

Did you say anything to them or video it with your phone? 

Always a good thing to do with these dodgy situations 

54 minutes ago, JDog said:

Did you say anything to those men?

Yes. I offered my opinion and received a few verbals. Unfortunately deer poaching, livestock mutilitatiion and dog running is rife around here. The police are stretched and little seems to be sorted

Edited by yates

I think rather than just point out the error of their ways, which led to the verbals, I may have used the approach of " Gentlemen, before you consider any verbal or physical abuse, I would ask you to consider IF you really want to lose your shotgun certificate, or NOT. I have the evidence on my mobile phone and would suggest you stop breaking the law and either release or kill the bird concerned. If not I will report the matter to the Police ". I would still try to find who owns the land and make them aware too.

1 hour ago, yates said:

1 hour ago, stevo said:

Should have just called the police . End of !! 

Absolutely, should have reported it.

10 minutes ago, JDog said:

I see the problem and I am aware of the illegal activities in that part of the world. Some characters from the same area are often caught running long dogs here on the Wolds. 

If you are suggesting that they are convicted poachers, should they really be granted a Shotgun Certificate then   ?  Maybe they had not got Certificates   !   All the more reason to report the incident.

Edited by Westley

The way I see it is if you see something like this going on , and you don’t report it . How are you any better then those doing it . You don’t have to be a hero , or get into a situation, just record it if you can , get there reg number if you can ,  But either way just phone the police . Simple . 

to say your not bother cos the police are busy and won’t do anything is just a cop out on our part . 

14 hours ago, stevo said:

The way I see it is if you see something like this going on , and you don’t report it . How are you any better then those doing it . You don’t have to be a hero , or get into a situation, just record it if you can , get there reg number if you can ,  But either way just phone the police . Simple . 

to say your not bother cos the police are busy and won’t do anything is just a cop out on our part . 

On reflection I totally agree with your point. This incident has now been reported this morning 

I have twice been accused of using live birds when it was my turbo flappers doing a great job, they look so good from a distance, as for the actual live bird you should have phoned the police and told them there was a man with a gun looking suspicious, armed response would have been there in an instant, someone did it to me and I was an hour proving to the two car squad that turned up that I was totally legal, they inspected all my kit, my dead birds ,my van and all its paperwork trying to get me on something but Im pleased to say they failed, at the time I was on a private farm roadway , not even on public land but it didn't stop them doing their thing, left me feeling very nervous even though I knew I was ok. 

People who abuse our sport and wildlife like this can only bring us all bad publicity and we should do all we can to stop them.

I also wonder if these people were using a real tethered bird.

I had a woman walk 300 yards across a field to confront me, convinced that my hypa flaps on the rotary were tethered live birds, she said she had "seen it on the telly in France or Italy".

The Police turned up about 10 minutes after she  realised they weren't. She did have the good grace to wait until they came and then apologised to them and me.

I have had a similar incident on three occasions when using a turbo flapper, one chap even told me he had videoed it for the Police, on two of the occasions the Police turned up and on the other occasion they went to see the Farmer, fortunately I had told him about the incident.

I can't remember how many times I have had abuse shouted at me from "walkers", most not on footpaths, who thought I was doing something I shouldn't, I have never hurled abuse back and when I have spoken to these people, I have always been polite, calm and sensible. They never have any reason to complain about my attitude.

3 hours ago, yates said:

There was no doubt that this was a tethered bird. 

I don't think anyone is doubting you, we know this sort of thing happens , but is rarely witnessed by anyone, but the general public (unaware of the equipment like flappers available to us ) often mistakenly think we have live birds, but someone like yourself who uses flappers would spot the difference a mile away, we should always be on the lookout for this abuse of our sport and 'do what we can' to stop it and bring the culprits to account, if only to protect ourselves from being tared with the same brush.provided that it does not endanger us personally.

:good::good:

On 28/01/2018 at 19:59, stevo said:

Simple