Where have all the pigeons gone?

M2 Shooter

14 hours ago, M2 Shooter said:

North Kent is still very quiet, a few pigeons in the hedgerows and trees but no sign of them feeding in the rape fields. No flocks and absolutely nothing to set up for.

Same for me just north of Bristol. Conspicuous by their Absence. A few skittish birds on one of the farms.They disappear at the sight of activity. The frustration factor is driving past Durdham Downs in the heart of the city to see 20 - 30 pigeons at a time rise off of Ivy clad May trees or the dozen pigeons feeding on Ivy clad trees on allotments behind our house. My worst winter for years.

41 minutes ago, Wooder said:

Saw a flock of about 50 birds on the rape field at the end of our lane yesterday, but still loads on ivy berries.

Same here went out yesterday on rape for ago as I've seen 50-100 feeding for last week or so, set up in a promising spot all disappeared never to been seen again had 1 shot at a magpie which I missed, still nice to be out having ago

23 minutes ago, serrac said:

Think they're all up in Scotland...
Passed a field near Dunfermline a week or so ago and there must have been ~1000 easy.
Never seen so many pigeons all in one place before.

I think they are many many areas. I am regularly seeing flocks in Norfolk that are several hundred strong.

Sod all about Bury St Edmunds area of Suffolk. I am ten miles out of Bury between Sudbury and Haverhill. Haven't seen any sizable flocks.  Shot 15 roosting last Sunday in the wind. This weekend being pot a pigeon, same wood. Shot 3. Rubbish. Couldn't hear anyone really shooting much.  Even where i beat numbers are only just building. Way less than this time last year.  I wonder if they are heading onto maize strips that are being chopped. Very little Oil seed rape about and start is has very little on it.  Baffling. Many people round here had a terrible roost session on Saturday

1 hour ago, PigeonPlucker said:

Sod all about Bury St Edmunds area of Suffolk. I am ten miles out of Bury between Sudbury and Haverhill. Haven't seen any sizable flocks.  Shot 15 roosting last Sunday in the wind. This weekend being pot a pigeon, same wood. Shot 3. Rubbish. Couldn't hear anyone really shooting much.  Even where i beat numbers are only just building. Way less than this time last year.  I wonder if they are heading onto maize strips that are being chopped. Very little Oil seed rape about and start is has very little on it.  Baffling. Many people round here had a terrible roost session on Saturday

A bit further west, over hear neat Newmarket and we have pigeons galore. They have been driving the farms mad, rape is going to need to make good money this year to pay for all the gas, bangers and diesel they have used protecting it! We had 60+ pigeons between us on Saturday night but was a terrible night with no wind

42 minutes ago, kennett said:

A bit further west, over hear neat Newmarket and we have pigeons galore. They have been driving the farms mad, rape is going to need to make good money this year to pay for all the gas, bangers and diesel they have used protecting it! We had 60+ pigeons between us on Saturday night but was a terrible night with no wind

We are over on the East coast , plenty of rape with most of it on game shooting land , now we have access to it I can assure you we have got 100s if not 1000s.

Yesterday on the way home from Norwich I diverted from the main road to look at a big rape field , it was getting on towards 4pm so most had finished feeding , the belt of trees on the outside of the field was crammed with pigeons and the ploughed field next door was covered , when I walked over with the dog there was a cloud got up which was well into four figures , one of the biggest flocks I had seen for several years , roll on a dryish mild day .

3 hours ago, PigeonPlucker said:

It's the same over my way PP. Has been for weeks! I'm about 8 mile east of Stowmarket. Set up Saturday after finding some on rape with a promising line. After 2 shots none returned. Gave it  1.5hrs and moved on. Walked the next farm after seeing few down and in trees in distant field. same again. Nice rabbit on walk back to truck tho. Ended up in roost wood. Lots of evidence they been using it. 3 shots for single magpie. Only a dozen came in. Far to still really. Was within 2 miles of other big woods but never heard any shooting or many gas bangers.  Now shoots stop feeding they'l come out of the covers. Good to see plenty of woodcock about tho. Flushed a few and some about at dusk. Several bullfinches, tree creepers and goldcrests about to. Springs on the way, heard woodpeckers drumming for a mate, pigeons and stock doves calling. Deer had really stripped back the under growth in the wood. Another Autum/Winter of mainly duty shooting.  NB

Went out at the request of the Farmer this morning, a few Woodies high up and going back to a large wood that I do not have access to. I guess they had been out feeding on fields I do not have permission on.

Will keep an eye on the situation and hope for some cold windy weather!