Where have all the pigeons gone?

M2 Shooter

Out at 8am this morning to a field being heavily hit.  Got set up and at 8am sharp about 200 dropped straight in at the other end of the field not 20yrds from my Land Rover!!!

Eventually one did swing my way and suffered the anger of my old 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge which I had brought out for an airing. The 200 lifted and departed the scene not to return. I sat tight until 12.30pm shot three more passing in that period and then it went dead.  Checked my other rape fields but the 200 had not gone to them. At least the farmer knew I was there. Very frustrating.

Got out saturday on the OSR, trees where loaded with birds when I arrived, they all flew off, only saw 2 birds return missed both of those, after about three hours moved to the edge of a wood a few miles up the road as I knew the guys on the estate down the road woud be out roost shooting. heard a few shots from the wood about 3 oclock, birds circled overhead but they where high as no wind, knocked the feathers out of a couple but they carried on flying, it was drizzling with rain, heard no more shots after 4 oclock form the estate wood so packed up and went home for a big fat 0 !!

Flocks of 20s, 50s and occasionally nearer a 100 on wheat! It's about 4 inches high, but it's the linseed that has come up from last year that they seem to be feeding on. Very fickle though, down for an hour then gone on mass, no flight lines, no pattern to it. This is near Southend. Last birds I shot had ivy berries in their crops.

46 minutes ago, getthegat said:

Flocks of 20s, 50s and occasionally nearer a 100 on wheat! It's about 4 inches high, but it's the linseed that has come up from last year that they seem to be feeding on. Very fickle though, down for an hour then gone on mass, no flight lines, no pattern to it. This is near Southend. Last birds I shot had ivy berries in their crops.

Sounds just like normal winter pigeon behaviour.