Countryfile Mountain hares

islandgun

Expect a few watched countryfile, there was a piece about Mountain Hares and the annual cull, keepers maintaining that the Hares eat too much vegetation and carry ticks to the detriment of Grouse. others claim the opposite whilst the presenter insinuating that the (undeniable) beautiful hare was being shot to allow some people to shoot more grouse. Is this another pointless threat to the uplands and shooting or should the Hares be left alone ?  

Tripping over the things when I was last out on the moor........I'm an occasional visitor and love to see em! Never have and don't want to shoot one......But I'll leave it up to the estate managers to decide what is a genuinely sustainable population level, for a particular moor....not someone or some organisation, with a protectionist anti shooting agenda, hiding behind a banner of "conservation".

To be fair it has been scientifically proven that blue hares can affect grouse numbers by carrying ticks (which carry louping ill, I don't think English ticks carry louping ill?)

Also i've been on decent moors with plenty of them so it's not written in stone that they have to be culled, but 1 moor in particular the GCWT studied it and found it was the hares holding grouse numbers down to a level that could not sustain shooting (I think that moor has won purdey and silver lapwing awards for its conservation efforts)

So it does vary from moor to moor area to area

But culls have been carried out for decades long before grouse shooting and in areas where there is no grouse shooting

45 minutes ago, JDog said:

But don’t you see how the BBCs main anti Tom Heap slipped in that the hare shooting was to make way for more Grouse? Grouse shooting being the current emotive subject amongst antis all over the country.

It was irritating to listen to.

It was an opportune piece,  I thought he was going to cry. I guess many viewers were thinking bad thoughts about grouse shooters

There is some BS written in papers. I bet the gun was happy to have someone standing next to him in a bright red jacket :no:

It will be very rare to put "Scottish grouse moor" and "profit" in the same sentence, hardly any Scottish moors ever make money or even break even, most will lose a fortune every year

Being brutally honest most Scottish grouse moors are pretty rubbish compared to the English variety (even the well run 1's)

On those upland areas the hares will be the equivalent to rabbits elsewhere and they're really is no other way to control them other than driving them as the countryside is so vast with little acces

Grouse moors in Scotland weren't run for profit until relatively recently, they were run for sport and paid for out of disposable income by people who could afford it, as a life style choice. Many's a fortune was squandered on the grouse moor. 

Intensive grouse moorland management is a difficult sell in this day and age. That said I thought the CF piece was quite well balanced, the presenter was a bit of an eejit but the young keeper came across well and he made some valid points.  

From what I read Countryfile seem to achieved their goal! Its bought the antis, the nutters and the I'll informed anthropomorphic cretins out of the wood work to condemned any mountain hare control out of hand! Well there's a surprise!..........Why does anyone, ever take anything these pillocks utter seriously?.......It escapes me!

22 hours ago, JDog said:

But don’t you see how the BBCs main anti Tom Heap slipped in that the hare shooting was to make way for more Grouse? Grouse shooting being the current emotive subject amongst antis all over the country.

It was irritating to listen to.

Totally agree.  

I was taking a late tea yesterday with an old lady friend with whom I rode to hounds. The dear lady had heard that there was to be a piece on hare shooting on Countryfile - a programme she abhors with a passion but would make an exception in this case. 

We sat and watched the most prejudiced interview to be seen for a long time on the once impartial BBC. - The sound of cheering coming from the anti brigade could almost be heard when the very biased Mr Heap had finished. 

Mr Heap's disgust was  all too clear to see and when the interview was over and he had wiped the imaginary blood from his hands my lady friend said "it's the beginning of the end of country sports as we know them".

Finally, and with the deepest respect to the participants, what has curling to do with country life and why has that awful Matt Baker got to take part? Time for a soon to be extinct Low Flyer!

52 minutes ago, CaptC said:

I was taking a late tea yesterday with an old lady friend with whom I rode to hounds. The dear lady had heard that there was to be a piece on hare shooting on Countryfile - a programme she abhors with a passion but would make an exception in this case. 

We sat and watched the most prejudiced interview to be seen for a long time on the once impartial BBC. - The sound of cheering coming from the anti brigade could almost be heard when the very biased Mr Heap had finished. 

Mr Heap's disgust was  all too clear to see and when the interview was over and he had wiped the imaginary blood from his hands my lady friend said "it's the beginning of the end of country sports as we know them".

Finally, and with the deepest respect to the participants, what has curling to do with country life and why has that awful Matt Baker got to take part? Time for a soon to be extinct Low Flyer!

Your friends view is similar to my own,  whereas most viewers are not very interested in habitats, grouse, or even dumped pheasants, most are interested in beautiful fluffy white mammals (remember baby seals ? ) I suspect we have not heard the last of this. 

I doubt it will stop people from eating their KFC though

1 minute ago, islandgun said:

Your friends view is similar to my own,  whereas most viewers are not very interested in habitats, grouse, or even dumped pheasants, most are interested in beautiful fluffy white mammals (remember baby seals ? ) I suspect we have not heard the last of this. 

I doubt it will stop people from eating their KFC though

Spot on! I read today of a vegan movement (pun intended) that is sending death threats to farmers for, quote "ripping the breasts from chickens" in abattoirs. I think I still have my seal pup slippers somewhere? 

3 minutes ago, CaptC said:

Spot on! I read today of a vegan movement (pun intended) that is sending death threats to farmers for, quote "ripping the breasts from chickens" in abattoirs. I think I still have my seal pup slippers somewhere? 

shhhh !!

Edited by islandgun

Some bad news - Last night whilst cleaning No 3 of my H&H Royal's and quaffing a large glass of Low Flyer I was roused from contemplating about having a Hunt Saboteur round up when, from the passageway outside came the most terrible din. It appears that the Memsahib had too many of her nightly sherry's (its been a problem since she hit her three score years and ten) It appears that the dear lady caught her size nine crocodile stilettos in the mouth of Raj our Indian tiger rug. Trying to save her sherry only exaggerated the problem as she fell headlong into the elephant's foot waste bin which doubles as a walking stick holder. (Must make a note in my diary to shoot another one - so if anyone wants an elephants foot waste bin I will have three going spare)

Oh dear, her rather bulky frame managed to crush our only narwhal walking stick - shot by Uncle Henry in 1907. Staggering drunkenly to her feet the contents of her stomach (and three quarters of a bottle of Waitrose's finest sherry, a large suet pudding, half a pound of Stilton and some early G&T's) shot two good bat lengths across the room and right over her ocelot coat. Alas the chances of shooting another one at our age are non existent.  Isn't it nice what Mother Nature can supply if you can afford it?

Olga, our Easter European chauffeur/cleaner/butler/maid/loader and dogsbody passed a heavily accented comment about capitalist swine - I asked will they be driven or a high seat jobbie?

How very kind. I'm sure the moderator(s) will ban this thread before long as it has slightly gone off the subject.

The sandals will, I assure you go to a good home as the colour will go down well with our youngest son Algernon who lives with his "best friend" in Brighton. Always been a favourite of his mother and when he was at home we could not keep him out of his sisters bedroom for some reason or other.

The Memsahib has just informed me (luckily before Olga rings the dinner gong at 6) that Godfrey, our eldest, has left his job in the City and has ensconced himself in Father's holiday home in the Maldives. Apparently the telephone line was very crackly but the dear lady heard something about him now living on "someone's pension fund" - Odd seeing he had such a high flying job with a government aided contractor beginning with "C". 

Must go, Tarquin, our eldest who now runs the estate has been enquiring about my life insurance policy. I often wonder why, or rather how he manages to draw the peg next to mine on every drive? The beggar always takes low shots in my direction!

The gong has boomed through the house - Must get my bow tie on.

5 minutes ago, JDog said:

An amusing post CaptC.

Yes, indeed - I must clarify - Godfrey was first out of the trap swiftly followed by Tarquin. They were immediately passed to a wet nurse (I refer to the lady's upper regions) and then brought back to base camp here at the Manor. We didn't see them again until the day they went to prep school as boarders disappearing down the drive. 

Must go as the Labradors are whining to go out. One is named after the late Guy Gibson's dog the other, a bitch is called Maggie as in Thatcher.