Paying cash in to someone else's account

dodeer

Had 2 people to pay today, so took the cash into their respective banks and was told cannot do this anymore, even with their sort and account number. The cashier said the rules had changed back last year.

Does anyone know if I filled a paying in slip and left in the deposit box it would go through ok?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a new one on me but it is probably down to the money laundering laws or someone's interpretation of them. 

Think about the scenario where cash has been deposited from illegal activities without any traceability. 

The top and bottom of it is the banks and government want total control of your finances, they are steadily removing cash machines from the high street which will in no time at all will remove cash from society.

1 minute ago, sportsbob said:

It's a new one on me but it is probably down to the money laundering laws or someone's interpretation of them. 

Think about the scenario where cash has been deposited from illegal activities without any traceability. 

The top and bottom of it is the banks and government want total control of your finances, they are steadily removing cash machines from the high street which will in no time at all will remove cash from society.

I think you are right, my misses deals with banks quite a lot for work, I had a cheque I needed to pay in, and asked her to do it for me next time she was in the bank, her reply was 'I'll try but I think you have to do it in person now, I know you can't pay cash in unless it is done in person.' Turns out that a cheque is still fine at the moment, but she was told that may change soon.

Why it changed, was something to do with money laundering.

30 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

The other day in my bank I was told I couldn't in future pay any money into my account unless I had Debit/Credit Card for that account with me.

Yes I have to do that myself if i put money into my own personal account, but normally can put it into someone else's with just their details. I will try put the cash in via a paying in slip otherwise I will put it into my bank and bacs it across. 

Money laundering is just an excuse, I'm sure anyone who is laundering money won't want to pay cash into a bank where questions can be asked and the money looked at by the government.

More to do with having their grubby hands on everything you have.

6 minutes ago, figgy said:

Money laundering is just an excuse, I'm sure anyone who is laundering money won't want to pay cash into a bank where questions can be asked and the money looked at by the government.

This !

2 hours ago, figgy said:

No, its money laundering related and without saying too much - you have to think about it happening on a bigger scale to see the possible issues.

3 hours ago, LondonLuke said:

No, its money laundering related and without saying too much - you have to think about it happening on a bigger scale to see the possible issues.

Just the other day I saw a police officer who arrested a drug dealer who had been making deposits into his account every week of several thousand pounds. 

It only gets flagged up / looked into when they know about you. People like to think the Government is this all seeing eye who's got tabs on everyone. They're not even close. 

7 hours ago, figgy said:

1 hour ago, old man said:

All about total control under the guise of something else?

24 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

Money laundering can happen on a huge scale, with companys set up specifically to turn drug money ect into legit Money, with turnovers of hundreds of thousands or even millions a year in some cases.

“Massage parlours” being a good example ... 

16 minutes ago, KB1 said:

Cite one please?

I wouldn’t know I don’t use them. 

There are plenty in the cities though and plenty of stories on their use online. 

I read a pretty funny story about a man who genuinely wanted a massage accidentally going to one ... or so he claimed it was an accident!! 

I think we've got something wrong as a society when the whole country gets inconvenienced, or for instance in the case of shooters, punished because of a tiny minority of rotten apples, this country is obsessed with rules and laws though.

I'd rather see less laws with more freedom's, those caught breaking the law should then be come down on like a ton of bricks rather than the namby pandy approch we have to criminals now, but I digress! 

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

I think we've got something wrong as a society when the whole country gets inconvenienced, or for instance in the case of shooters, punished because of a tiny minority of rotten apples, this country is obsessed with rules and laws though.

I'd rather see less laws with more freedom's, those caught breaking the law should then be come down on like a ton of bricks rather than the namby pandy approch we have to criminals now, but I digress! 

You need to stop thinking about common sense things, twill only wear your patience and brain out?

Far too late for a solution now, nobody could achieve the change needed, maybe?

21 hours ago, figgy said:

This is exactly how money is laundered.

You get a shed  load of cash from your drug sales, how do you get it into a Bank that will not arouse suspicion?  You start a Taxi firm or a restaurant or a building business and it does really well and takes in a lot of cash.  You pay this into a Bank, with an accountant who shows it is all about the business doing well.  Nice clean money in the Bank.  You even pay tax on it!

Market stalls, hairdressers and a bookies are also acceptable washing machines for cash.  I'm sure there are businesses that you know, that never seem busy, but have been going for years and you never really see them as "busy".

Large amounts of cash are hard to deal with without thorough planniing, but then again, so are small ones.  I have been investigated for Tax purposes, so I know what they look for.

Let's say you get a relatively small amount of cash each month from a new "venture", say £250.  So you buy your normal things, groceries, petrol etc and do not need to draw as much cash out as you used to.  IF they look into your affairs, and they do do random hat-pulls for investigations, they notice that your outgoings suddenly fall, over a year they will work out pretty much what the amount you ARE NOT spending is (they wanted 3 years accounts from me, not just my business, but all personal accounts, including joint and childrens).

Now I was a good boy, and it was a pain in the butt and quite expensive for me to go through, but they were thorough and made you feel guilty at every opportunity, even with genuine mistakes, however small.

They hate cash.  They want rid of cash and they will make it look like they are doing it "with the countries best interest at heart".  

In the end, it is about control,

RS

16 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Just the other day I saw a police officer who arrested a drug dealer who had been making deposits into his account every week of several thousand pounds. 

It only gets flagged up / looked into when they know about you. People like to think the Government is this all seeing eye who's got tabs on everyone. They're not even close. 

The banks are more onto it than the police for the main part