Travelling Distance to far?

Dibs85

Hi Chaps,

Going for a job interview next Monday for a job that is 2 hours drive from my home.

I am a contractor so work away quite a lot and have had a lot of contracts close to home (1 hour ish) so getting digs isn't an issue neither is driving.

My question is, is it to far to drive 2 hours each way or should i get digs? it's a lot of driving but i know that come half seven in the evening I'll be sat in my digs thinking I could be home by now?

it is only a 6 month to a year contract and the money is good,its just its too far to drive and not far enough for digs?

what are peoples thoughts? what would you chaps do?

90% of the journey is on the M5 (dont know if thats a good or bad road?)

Just now, Smokersmith said:

You could consider stopping over for a couple of nights a week ... that would take the pressure off driving, but also have you with the benefits of being in your own bed more often than not.

Did think about that, maybe come back on a weds eve. I would rather not be away from home at all but the money is too good. I have 3 kids and a mrs at home (that i would like to see!). but I spose the upshot is that its only temp and i'll be home every weekend. I'll have to play it by ear and see what the traffic is like. I'm doing it through my own company so i can either claim the mileage or digs off mr taxman! 

was hoping to see what the general consensus  was either driving or digs!

Depends on your individual circumstance.  At least if you are driving a big chunk of the 6 months will be during spring & summer so lighter evenings and morning which is less tiring to drive.

I would be tempted to do a bit of both and take the pressure off the car and you at least some of the time by staying over.  I think it is a case of suck it and see, you might naturally adapt to the commute or you might find it a real scunner.

As Newbie to This said, 2 hours commute is common in the south where folk travel to and from London.

if you are married and got a wife who will look after you....food on the table when you get home...sit in chair get given a beer and peace and quiet for 20 mins to calm down after the drive without the kids jumping all over you,........................it will work for you..........if you cant garuntee that ...then get digs.......

It might depend on ur job and how much enjoy driving? And wot that road is like for commuting

Longest commute we used to do was 3hrs each way, but we were getting paid both ways, boss thought it was as cheap to pay us travel and diesel rather than digs, plus it was winter hours.

But we were also in a squad so could share driving.

Different if ur driving on ur own and depends how much u enjoy driving or get tired easily.

Might depend on how dear the digs are where ur working.

Can u work flexi time? Normal day mon, work early/late tues/thurs if staying in digs so u can finish early on a fri(wed) for travelling home?

Been there done it mate and I would say digs, my drive would have been 1.5 hrs each way, but I just did my hours over 4 days with an early dart Thursday. You only do these things for the money or getting to work at a company with a good reputation that will benefit your cv.

As others have said you can come home if you want to but better having an hour in the gym something to eat and sleep, or work nights even better if your working away, keeps you out the pubs.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

if you are married and got a wife who will look after you....food on the table when you get home...sit in chair get given a beer and peace and quiet for 20 mins to calm down after the drive without the kids jumping all over you,........................it will work for you..........if you cant garuntee that ...then get digs.......

LOL - digs it is! :lol:

LS

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

You wouldn't be the first to try it but it becomes a killer in the end, sometimes literally.

A bit off the wall but have you considered putting a cheap caravan on a cheap site? then you can do a bit of both 

That's not a bad shout,

my business partner and I were working in Aberdeen some time ago, and at first we was in B&Bs, but a few others on the job were renting a caravan on a holiday park. We looked into it and ended up renting a lovely log cabin, and the whole stress of working away, disappeared. If I recall correctly it was around the same price as the B&Bs were working out, taking into account not having to eat out etc. Then when we went back up we rented a holiday home, again for around the same price.

I did it for about a year, 30 years ago when I was much younger (30 then).  I started staying in (B&B) in the week - and like you - once I got settled, thought I cold be home in 2 hours ..........

What I ended up doing was this;

1. If the weather was bad (fog, icy, snow, very wet, but especially fog) - I stayed over (B&B)
  2. If hours were long (i.e. beyond 18:00 in evening) I stayed over
  3. If the weather was good and most of the summer, I commuted.

Costs were probably not much different each way.  It was tiring (when I was commuting I was clocking about 1000 miles a week), but I did then have a big luxury car - thirsty but relaxing.  I did try in an economy car (Fiat Uno hire car) - and it was just too tiring every day.

Driving the M5 going north especially where it meets the M6 is painful when there’s no roadworks but at the minute the roadworks make it abysmal. As long as your wife can cope with you being away I’d probably stay away Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night. You’re at home for Monday when the kids have been at school and you’re at home when there home from school after a week of school. Ultimately it’s whatever you think you and your family can deal with but a regular bad drive makes a long day unbearable. 

Digs would be my preference , if your family situation can stand it .

You can always nip home for a night if your fit enough , but 4+ hours driving on top of a working day will soon get you down .

I digs it but most of the others travel - paid both ways . By Thursday they're next to useless .

If the money is that good digs and work every hour possible. Rather than sitting staring at the walls you could be earning a lot more. Then come home Friday and enjoy family time.

I commuted to Bristol every day a few years ago, the worst part of the job was the journey. If I caught it wrong it would add hours onto my day.

Opposite my partner's house there is a lot of building work going on. The builders are living in a LWB high top Sprinter van parked on the road outside that hasn't moved in months. All Eastern Europeans I would say there are around six sleeping in there.

Driving drains you, my most often journey is London to South Wales, sometimes its a breeze. Radio on foot down at 6am its great. Heading into Taffys Café in Abercynon for when it opens at 8.30am for breakfast, its heaven.

Other times on a pitch dark Sunday night in the rain it can be a white knuckle drive and at times quite dangerous . Or in the early evening with the setting sun in your eyes all the way back, not fun. 

Edited by Vince Green