Travelling Distance to far?

Dibs85

Dibs, trust me you don't want a 2 hr drive on the M5 at the best of times. Coming from Yeovil you've got to get to the M5 first, depending whether you go A258 or across to Somerton, A39 and Jct 23 its going to take you best part of 45 minutes. This time of year the M5 isn't bad but get to Easter and you're looking at mega tailbacks every friday from lunchtime onwards.

Personally I would go for digs, try and negotiate doing your hours in four days to finish on thursday night and get home asap. 3 nights away.

I know, I've done it.

36 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

Try a few runs at the time you would be travelling to see what the drive is like.

Just sampling may not be representative of how difficult it could get. It only takes a little 'fender bender' and they close the motorway for a hour to clear it off. They can't have emergency services working with moving traffic these days apparantly.

Mondays and Fridays are always noticeably heavier traffic, in my case any Rugby on at Cardiff, football at Bristol or Reading or concerts at Wembley can make a difference to traffic in the evenings. 

15 hours ago, ditchman said:

if you are married and got a wife who will look after you....food on the table when you get home...sit in chair get given a beer and peace and quiet for 20 mins to calm down after the drive without the kids jumping all over you,........................it will work for you..........if you cant garuntee that ...then get digs.......

Digs it is then Ditchman!

Thanks for the replies chaps, I'm off up there on Sunday to drop off my Enfield to get it refurbed so will try it then (I know the traffic will be different).

after all the comments I'm thinking if I can smash the hours in Mon to Thurs and try and negotiate Fri off I'll probably get digs.

I think driving will get a bit much each day but if the kids miss me too much I can always nip back every once in while. 

19 hours ago, Dibs85 said:

Did think about that, maybe come back on a weds eve. I would rather not be away from home at all but the money is too good. I have 3 kids and a mrs at home (that i would like to see!). but I spose the upshot is that its only temp and i'll be home every weekend. I'll have to play it by ear and see what the traffic is like. I'm doing it through my own company so i can either claim the mileage or digs off mr taxman! 

If you do go down this route then best to investigate this - it may be you mean that you can claim the tax relief but it sounds here as if you think HMRC will pick up the bill....

Don't want you to make a decision thinking the fuel/accommodation will be free!

I would dig it its just too far to drive each day, soon as I get over an hours driving each way I start to think about digs as I normally work a minimum of 10 usually 12 so it's a long day, to begin with.  Four hours minimum sat in a car commuting is half a normal shift

2 hours ago, LondonLuke said:

If you do go down this route then best to investigate this - it may be you mean that you can claim the tax relief but it sounds here as if you think HMRC will pick up the bill....

Don't want you to make a decision thinking the fuel/accommodation will be free!

It's just the way I phrased it, I've been running a ltd company for over ten years. I meant I'd claim the relief, but thanks for the concern.

Doing the 45p a mile (for first 10k) i'd have relief of roughly £1600 a month then £900 a month on 25p a mile! or relief on roughly £500 a month for digs plus expenses.

financially id be better off driving but i think digs may be the way to go.

I live near Taunton and comuted to Swindon and Dursley (contractor). The m5 past Bristol is horrible in rush hour(s) and Friday was awful especially in summer.

Ended up staying up for 2/3 nights a week because the travelling got so stressful. I know what you mean about thinking you can be home in the evening but travelling does take its toll, especially if you’re not being paid for it.

As you rightly say, 2 hours driving is much more tiring, especially on a motorway at speed where there is no opportunity to relax.  Even heavy city traffic is less tiring because at low speed/stationary the concentration need is slightly less.

There is no doubt that any form of driving is tiring simply due to the need for concentration.  As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I have done it when younger, but couldn't do it regularly now, especially the drive home after a long day.

I used to do it a lot but it takes its toll, boredom and constant clock watching if there is a crash makes for a long day

I used to drive in Monday, stay in digs, drive home Tuesday, stay Wednesday and Thursday then home Friday

That made it a bit more bearable and meant i could have a decent kip or catch up on work if required so i could be free come knock off time Friday

Its not just distance its the time to cover that distance - i used to be able to do Leeds to Birmingham Airport as quick as it was to do the Airport into the city!! 

For a year with a definite end date would probably make it easier thank a day in day out job until you decide to leave (or crash and kill yourself when you fall asleep)

Like Zapp i do the walk to the station, train into London then the tube.... quicker than my old commute of 16 miles in the car (1 1/2 hours each way)

Edited by ph5172

Another thing, not directly related but still significant. I have noticed that the vast majority of accidents in the mornings happen at the off slip roads. I put this down to what I call 'slicers'. People who leave it till the last minute then slice aggressively across three lanes to get off.

Whether or not my assessment is correct, the style of driving from other road users appears to me to have got far worse. Maybe its just me getting older but a trip back towards London on a dark wet Sunday night along the M4 can be a white knuckle drive. Aggressive lane switching, tailgating, bunched up traffic, overtaking on the inside etc.  The stress effect on you as the driver can be ten times worse than cruising it at 6am

5 hours ago, Nial said:

Have to rush, have only skimmed the topic but many contractors work a 4*10 hour week.

Is that an option to consider?

Hopefully I can do that wont find out until the interview. It's a lunchtime finish on the Friday as standard so fingers crossed i can do 40-45 during the week and finish Thurs eve!

12 hours ago, Vince Green said:
3 hours ago, Dibs85 said:

Another thing, not directly related but still significant. I have noticed that the vast majority of accidents in the mornings happen at the off slip roads. I put this down to what I call 'slicers'. People who leave it till the last minute then slice aggressively across three lanes to get off.

Whether or not my assessment is correct, the style of driving from other road users appears to me to have got far worse. Maybe its just me getting older but a trip back towards London on a dark wet Sunday night along the M4 can be a white knuckle drive. Aggressive lane switching, tailgating, bunched up traffic, overtaking on the inside etc.  The stress effect on you as the driver can be ten times worse than cruising it at 6am

your not wrong and the folk who get on and go straight to lane 3 or 4.

3 hours ago, Dibs85 said:

Hopefully I can do that wont find out until the interview. It's a lunchtime finish on the Friday as standard so fingers crossed i can do 40-45 during the week and finish Thurs eve!

I did this on my last contract, turned the job down because wife said doing 6-2 & 2-10 five days a week wasn't happening then got offered 4days make a huge difference, good luck.