Garden Shredder

lord_seagrave

Chaps,

The gardening work is starting to come in, but it involves a lot of overgrown borders and hedges, and my arms are aching from all the secateur-ing/lopping of branches to get them broken down.

Do any of you have any recommendations for a shredder that will make short work of the stuff I am clearing (none of which is thicker than about 1”)?

What are my options, and how much hassle are they to maintain?

LS

We have one that was purchased about five years ago, cost was £795 but as we have rather a lot of hedging and trees I thought it would be ideal.

In truth we have hardly used it as we tend to burn most, but on the times I have it’s been very good - if bloody noisy.

Would I purchase again? Nope, would rent one every time

we got an ex display Bosch shredder a good lot of years ago fantastic bit of kit paid £25 best bargain ever because it had no box!! Wife loves it, she can make anything disappear, and it has had some proper stick no pun intended, never done a thing other than turn it on and off.

1 hour ago, Yellow Bear said:

Bought a Screwfix Titan  -  does the job except on Privet.  under a ton.

D’oh! Screwfix! I’ll have a rummage through the catalogue this evening. :good:

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Your next job may include the disposal by shredding of 2'' stems or even larger. Build in some capacity in your choice.

Yup - that is a good point. My dad made this point about my recent drill purchase. I’ll have a good look at the spec.

Keep the recommendations coming, chaps - it’s hugely appreciated.

LS

5 minutes ago, firdom said:

If the council do green waste bins that is the best way ours is i think nearly £50.00 a year had a shredder to much hassle 

You get a lot more stuff in the bin when you've shredded it, we used to completely fill two bins cutting conifer hedges.

I bought a cheapie shredder from Homebase 10 years ago to dispose of our annual tree trimmings. 

A couple of hours work disposes of the lot. 

I used to put it in the collected green-stuff bin, but nowadays I spread it on our local path, which otherwise turns into a quagmire - the path-walkers are very appreciative.

My shredder will only handle up to 1" branches, so, if I were buying again, I would buy one with a wider mouth,

It's certainly very satisfying shredding a hedge-full of trimmings

41 minutes ago, tiny tim said:

chain saw or hedgecutters is the easiest way ,then straight into the green bin

too much hassle moving it from job to job ,the other tools are always in the van

That’s another thing - portability. Looking at 2nd hand pickups/dropsides, but for now, it’s got to get lugged around in a hatchback! :lol:

LS

1 hour ago, lord_seagrave said:

That’s another thing - portability. Looking at 2nd hand pickups/dropsides, but for now, it’s got to get lugged around in a hatchback!

LS

I take it ur starting a wee gardening business? If so it might be handy just sticking a tow bar on ur present motor. Really handy thing a trailer esp if ur doing that sort of work.

A few boys near me do that as a wee sideline/homers and just work out of there normal car and trailer

1 hour ago, scotslad said:

Really handy thing a trailer esp if ur doing that sort of work.

a little 6x4 is ideal. get 2 dumpy builders bags and you can stack em with a ratchet strap over the top. after using a hedge cutter youd be surprised how much you can fit in one of those bags and how little one weighs after youve jumped up and down on it a few times :good:

another tip, go find a timber yard or mill and ask how much to dump cuttings there. some big ones have a mulching machine. on my own hobbles it's a fiver a bag (make sure the customer pays)!

24 minutes ago, Mice! said:

on the vehicle front, gardeners I see round us use transit vans and ramps, less lifting stuff in and out and fairly secure because you can't see what's in there.

And don’t forget the “no tools left in this van” sticker, that should stop them.:whistling:

18 hours ago, lord_seagrave said:

That’s another thing - portability. Looking at 2nd hand pickups/dropsides, but for now, it’s got to get lugged around in a hatchback!

LS

don't get a drop side unless it has a crew cab as you will have to watch your gear like a hawk ,around here tool theft is rife

used to have a dropside and had stuff pinched off the back at traffic lights  etc

Vehicle  wise I would go down the trailer avenue if this is long term get one with cage sides, as you progress you may need to transport lawnmowers etc also stops people helping themselves.

As regards shredder unless you go full tilt and go engine, think about electricity supply not always available, also takes you say 2 hours to cut hedge will client pay you another hour + to shred it.

Think allotment and burn it

Quick update, bought one of these yesterday morning.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb683shr-2500w-200kg-hr-silent-garden-shredder-230v/6887p#product_additional_details_container

It isn’t fast, but it is very workmanlike, and deals very easily (whilst making a very satisfying munching sound) with everything I threw at it. Some stuff was the maximum (40mm) the flange can accommodate, and it just chomped away without skipping a beat.

For the size and the money, I’m pleased. The only faff is that, having driven it to the site packaged up in its neat box, I then assembled it to find that is a LOT harder to get in the car once put together!

I shall try to fabricate some locking lugs that will allow the machine to be removed from the container when not working to make it easier to carry. Self-tappers at the moment, and they are a pain to get to once they’re in.

LS