Reloading 22 hornet

I'm coming to the end of my factory PPU SP ammo for the hornet so I'm going to start reloading.

I've decided to start with 35gr v-max, the old PPU cases and Lil'gun powder.

Half of the stuff I've read on the subject says crimping is a must. The other half says it's not necessary. I was going to buy a Lee Collet die set. Is it worth getting a crimp die too? :hmm:

3 hours ago, walshie said:

I'm coming to the end of my factory PPU SP ammo for the hornet so I'm going to start reloading.

Half of the stuff I've read on the subject says crimping is a must. The other half says it's not necessary. I was going to buy a Lee Collet die set. Is it worth getting a crimp die too? :hmm:

No need to crimp at all, keep velocities and pressures sane and do not try to turn the hornet into a 222 or 22250 just be happy with it for what it is. Chasing every last FPS in the hornet starts to effect cases function and accuracy, i have never done anything with 35 grain just typical 45 grain hornet type bullets and these have worked fine.

1 minute ago, Fen tiger said:

No need to crimp at all, keep velocities and pressures sane and do not try to turn the hornet into a 222 or 22250 just be happy with it for what it is. Chasing every last FPS in the hornet starts to effect cases function and accuracy, i have never done anything with 35 grain just typical 45 grain hornet type bullets and these have worked fine.

Cheers. I wasn't going to push any boundaries as I have a 223 if I need a bit more oomph. Been doing fine with the 45gr PPU ammo so far. 

3 minutes ago, walshie said:

Cheers. I wasn't going to push any boundaries as I have a 223 if I need a bit more oomph. Been doing fine with the 45gr PPU ammo so far. 

A 2400 is good powder for Hornet it gets its name from the velocity it makes with 45 grain bullet in the hornet  a tad either side of 9 grains gets the job done economically, alternatively look at H110 Vit 110 and i am sure one of those will get a sweet performing load in your gun.

Hi All,

On the crimping side of things and indeed pistol primer use with the .22 Hornet...

It is the theory that the thin case gives inconsistent or low neck tension, so when the primer is detonated it can dislodge the bullet by a variable amount before the main propellant charge burns.

A small pistol primer has less dislodging force and a crimp helps to even up the forces involved where it is a problem on some loads.

My V-Max load doesn't need crimping, but my H&N round nose load does and crimping has greatly improved accuracy and consistency in that load.

Cheers

Clive

• 1 month later...

ive been reloading hornet rounds for 5 years now  in my browning,,,, a bolt,,,    i use    35 g  v max  from hornady   with 12 g lilgun    and it will destroy anything out to 150 yards   super accurate  and hard hitting   

dont get me wrong not as good as a 223    though     i only have a  hornet and a 243    for small stuff and    300 win mag for bigger 

• 2 months later...
On 29/01/2018 at 17:08, walshie said:

While searching for something else I saw this. How are you getting on?

7 hours ago, wymberley said:

While searching for something else I saw this. How are you getting on?

Got the relevant hornet dies, powder etc. I just haven't made any yet as I still have nearly 40 odd factory rounds left and want to use them all up first. :good:

I got Lil' gun powder, 35gr v-max and I won't be crimping, at least to begin with. 

On 13/05/2018 at 19:19, walshie said:

Got the relevant hornet dies, powder etc. I just haven't made any yet as I still have nearly 40 odd factory rounds left and want to use them all up first. :good:

I got Lil' gun powder, 35gr v-max and I won't be crimping, at least to begin with. 

I do a light crimp simply to cater for the repettive load/unload that occasoinally occurs; not to mention me dropping them. If you do decide to save money by not getting the crimping die, you could put it towards a Forster Bench Rest Bullet Seating Die which in view of the thin neck on these cases really does improve things.

Appreciate it's each to his own, but I would say you can do better than Lil' gun for sub 40g bullets. On the other hand though you can't do better than Lil' gun with the more usual Hornet type bullet at, say, 45g. For extended range with the 35 v-max, it may just pay to check your accuracy/group size. Sierra, Hornady and Speer (especially if you're not crimping with these - this from Speer - although I've never had a problem) all do something decent.

5 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I do a light crimp simply to cater for the repettive load/unload that occasoinally occurs; not to mention me dropping them. If you do decide to save money by not getting the crimping die, you could put it towards a Forster Bench Rest Bullet Seating Die which in view of the thin neck on these cases really does improve things.

Appreciate it's each to his own, but I would say you can do better than Lil' gun for sub 40g bullets. On the other hand though you can't do better than Lil' gun with the more usual Hornet type bullet at, say, 45g. For extended range with the 35 v-max, it may just pay to check your accuracy/group size. Sierra, Hornady and Speer (especially if you're not crimping with these - this from Speer - although I've never had a problem) all do something decent.

It's nothing to do with saving money. I don't crimp 308 or 223 and have very consistent results with those. No doubt I'll eventually come up with a decent load for the hornet and if it includes crimping, so be it. 

12 minutes ago, walshie said:

It's nothing to do with saving money. I don't crimp 308 or 223 and have very consistent results with those. No doubt I'll eventually come up with a decent load for the hornet and if it includes crimping, so be it. 

I hope that this predominant and undue concern regarding whether to crimp or not does not obliterate the bit about the Forster die which really is a good tip.