New DT11 Black Edition

tonyshotgun

Good evening all.

I haven't been around for a while.

I'm after some advise on what barrel length DT11 Black to go for.

At the moment, I've got a 692 Black Edition and I love it. Barrel length on my 692 are 32" and I seem to shoot it quite well on the Skeet. Normally hitting 22-23 average out of 25 out of 3-4 rounds using 1/4 and Skeet chokes.

I'm keeping my 692 Black. 

I had a 690 Black 30" barrels and also used that on the Skeet scoring similar scores using Full/Full chokes.

I'm thinking 30" for the DT11 Black. I am very lost at the moment. The reason for this is that I love the feel of the DT11 Black and the weight/balance of it.

I find my 692 Black 32" perfect on the long range clays. Then again I haven't used a 30" on long range clays in a long time.

I quite fancy a 30" DT11 Black as I will be keeping the 692 Black 32".

What do you think. I'm totally lost. I'm also going to get a pro's advise by getting some tuition on Skeet and Sporting clays. Maybe the tutor might put me straight.

kind regards

Tony Shotgun

What do you call long range clays and why would you want a DT11 BE as well as a 692, also what is your actual discipline ? 

By and large clay shooters will get on perfectly well with either 30 or 32" barrels although the vast majority of the better shots tend to favour the longer barrels. The DT11 BE has lighter barrels than the standard gun I believe owing to the use of carbon in the top rib ?! It's likely the 32" will be a perfectly useable gun on close birds as well as more distant and will be easier to resell if that's of any benefit. 

I have to say I'm also a tad confused as to why you'd shoot Full/Full on Skeet.

2 hours ago, bornfree said:

It your regularly hitting 22-23 at skeet with full and full choke sell all the others and just use that gun it must fit very well.

Well not so sure of that. I did my first 25 at skeet with a B25 trap gun that was full+extra full. Took quite a bit of practice, and quite a few 24's. Oh also I had decided to do it gun down, just because. I think reaching 25 was way more related to the head than the gun.

However I now know that gun was not a fantastic fit, it just feels like it was at the time. I needed a bit more cast and a bit more length of stock (my guerini has that). Mind you I since lost interest in skeet so...

Gun fit, and which gun you shoot 'well' is not an exact science IMO... the last two month I've shot a hammer gun that is 1/2in too short for me, I'm a notch too low on it, and I've still been shooting the hell out of it on clay and game regardless...

9 minutes ago, bornfree said:

25 straight, full and extra full, gun down with a poorly fitting gun. now that is world class shooting.

No, it's not, really. World class shooting at skeet shoot 200 straight in a way I'll never even try to match. Keeping concentration for 25 is hard, but really, it's no big deal. And it's not Olympic Skeet either. Now THAT is world class shooting.

And it was not a 'poorly fitted gun', it was adequate, it did the job well enough. 25 at skeet was my goal to buy a 'better' gun, and that is the guerini.

• 1 month later...

I shoot with a DT10, 32'' sporter and I strongly believe that the balance you get from the DT guns are so much better than the 690's. I shoot the obvious sporting, english skeet, DTL and Olympic trap with this gun. I no longer shoot competition any more as the pension will not push that far however being able to straighten the above disciplines on a reasonably regular basis tells me that I am not quite finished just yet. Getting back to the point, I am sure if I got back into competition shooting I may go for a dedicated trap gun but the rest would happily be shot with my DT10 and to be honest switching from 30 to 32'' barrels doesn't help you one bit.

Buy the barrel length you feel most happy with and stick with it, likewise you SHOULD feel the difference in handling between the DT11 and 690, if you can't either sell the DT11 or do not buy it because it will be a total waste of money. The DT11 should stand head and shoulders above the 690. I had a few rounds with a DT11 ACS, my lord we are talking of an amazing gun and sooooooo much better than any trap gun I have ever used. Drool time   http://www.beretta.com/en-uk/dt11-acs/

Just be happy with the decision you take and talk to an RFD who will arrange for you to test one before to spend that sort of money, if your local RFD will not or can not help, contact GMK, the importer who will find you an RFD who will let you have a gun to try, perhaps on a specified ground but well worth the effort.

Phil

1 hour ago, philpotttt said:

I had a few rounds with a DT11 ACS, my lord we are talking of an amazing gun and sooooooo much better than any trap gun I have ever used.

Phil

And then add a Manuel Ricardo glove  stock, it doesn’t get much better ?

On 30/01/2018 at 22:47, buze said:

No, it's not, really. World class shooting at skeet shoot 200 straight in a way I'll never even try to match. Keeping concentration for 25 is hard, but really, it's no big deal. And it's not Olympic Skeet either. Now THAT is world class shooting.

And it was not a 'poorly fitted gun', it was adequate, it did the job well enough. 25 at skeet was my goal to buy a 'better' gun, and that is the guerini.

Try shooting 100 straight 1st :hmm: