Rucksack or gamebag.

muncher

I've used both and neither are ideal!.....not many backpacks are waterproof, so when it rains, whatever is inside gets soaked, and they are awkward to get off yer back in a hurry! You can get waterproof Gamebags......but the means of closure does not exclude the rain well, so again when it rains, the stuff inside gets soaked too! but when empty keep yer bum fairly mud free and dry when used to sit on!.....both get the contents soaked when you stuff a wet net/coat etc into the bag for the walk off!........ But both are ok in the dry! Lol!

I have been using a camo waterproof Gamebags of late....just because I have one!

Being as tight as a ducks arxe  and had a good friend who worked for royal mail, my main form for carrying bits and pieces and for sticking a few hard earnt  duck in was a canvas post mans bag , not really big enough for carrying several decoys but big enough to hold a couple of Pinks and I have had double figures of duck in them , certainly made to last and I have no reason to try anything else .

Imagine the weight of a good morning on the pinks, then put that through one strap on one shoulder, along with flask and left over cartridges, bog roll, 10 bore etc. The imagine walking back from 5 with that! 

I've stopped using my gamebag, it hurts too much once you get a few birds in it!

Stopped using a gamebag years ago in favour of a rucksack.  You can get good waterproof one in camouflabe. If you are worried about getting it off your back adapt the strap on one side so it connects at the bottom with a carabiner. I much prefer carrying a few pinks in the rucksack to a gamebag. I pick up three days a week and lugging a full gamebag around is hard work

19 hours ago, Big Mat said:

Imagine the weight of a good morning on the pinks, then put that through one strap on one shoulder, along with flask and left over cartridges, bog roll, 10 bore etc. The imagine walking back from 5 with that! 

I've stopped using my gamebag, it hurts too much once you get a few birds in it!

A few pinks in a gamebag across one shoulder is easily ballanced by a 15lb double 8 in a sleeve, across the other, lol! try keeping a heavy double 8 on your shoulder.....when you have a fully loaded rucksack on your back!

Edited by panoma1

42 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

A few pinks in a gamebag across one shoulder is easily ballanced by a 15lb double 8 in a sleeve, across the other, lol! try keeping a heavy double 8 on your shoulder.....when you have a fully loaded rucksack on your back!

I have enough trouble with a 10 while carrying a rucksack!

I tend to take my gamebag when I want to travel really light

Out of the two i prefer a rucksack the load carrying potential is there if you need it for net a few decoys or Birds .

Weight is spread evenly you are not encumbered with a bag to one side with all the weight on 0ne strap.  I think with a rucksack its the choice of rucksack you need to get right too stiff or large it becomes annoying, but chose a light soft rucksack you can throw a flask sandwich box a decoy or two and a net and forget its there if you adjust the straps properly, getting the rucksack off can be a problem i like clips on each strap so you can unclip and be free of it but it needs to be water proof enough to stand in the wet without the canvas wicking up the water from wet grass or  mud.

tried many rucksacks British  patrol packs flambau worked ok, but i have for the past few years been using a type i like in the   polish army rucksacks light not water proof but have a acrylic plastic base section, they can be stood on the ground without absorbing the damp and they are light soft and drawstring closure and straps adjust easy for small or big loads wide straps clip on the three points for big or small loads.

They dry quick wear well and cost just a tenner with postage if you look.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polish-Army-Surplus-Puma-Rucksack-shooting-air-soft-walking-camping/372074647334?hash=item56a1608f26:g:cp0AAOSw30tZuRqQ

In reality, a decent size game bag will cope with most bags from the foreshore on a normal flight , when and if the time come when you are lucky enough to get more than your bag can carry I am sure you will find a way to get them back to civilisation .

If I remember rightly when Kenzie Thorpe got a big bag of Widgeon he cut some strips off his hankerchief or a cloth and tied the heads together then looped them over his belt , all sorted and the weight was spread over evenly .

Its one of them threads where there isn't going to be a decisive answer , I prefer a bag , simply because I have never tried anything else and it suits my needs , another case of , if it isn't broke then there is no need to mend it

I use a roe sack, and have for years, bit on the large side I know but capable of carrying all I need comfortably and if need be I pop in my leg o mutton gun case (from mel b) when taking out the big double 8s or the 4g, game carrier is always in there, can be draped across the shoulders if have 2 birds or more if only one then it's in the sack.... All very comfortable and easy to carry.

Thinks its what's your comfortable with,,,, therefore it's up to the individual 

I find a Harkila Fenja 80 litre Roe Sack ideal - good capacity, washable liner, good well-paced straps including a chest strap, weatherproof, external pockets. Dried mud brushes off easily enough. Can be had for under a hundred quid, not cheap, but you get what you pay for..

Steve