Couldn’t log on to pigeon watch

Harnser

Your explanation is that there was a technical problem that has now been fixed.

If you want some in depth technical explanations then I am sure there are several folk on here that could provide some mind blowing technojumbo - but life is really too short isn't it? Especially for the mods. 

6 hours ago, 243deer said:

If you want some in depth technical explanations then I am sure there are several folk on here that could provide some mind blowing technojumbo - but life is really too short isn't it? Especially for the mods. 

Sorry I hadn't spotted that you were the site operator. I will come to you direct in the future.

8 hours ago, 243deer said:

+1

I can provide all the details. Apologies for taking time do respond to this thread.

Summary

From Jan 31st 21:33:59 UTC until 13:22:47 UTC, the PigeonWatch forums were unavailable. Users will have experienced a server error due to an issue with the PHP module which provides database connectivity.

This occurred following the routine application of security patches to the server hosting the Pigeonwatch website, Gunwatch website and the pigeonwatch forums. Due to a mistake on my part, I verified that www.pigeonwatch.co.uk and www.gunwatch.co.uk were up but failed to check the forums. As the forums were the only site using PHP, they were the only one affected.

Details

For some background, hundreds of updates have been applied to the underlying server with zero impact on availability over the years as such this was seen as a routine operation, without need for prior notification.

The complication arose this time, because following the recent forum upgrade, the version of PHP in use on the server changed from 5.5.x to 7.1.x. However both package versioned remained on the server - with just the 7.1.x activated.

Unfortunately due to an ordering issue in how the patches were applied, the system defaulted back to the prior 5.5.x version, which was incompatible with the new forum version, hence the errors being experienced by all.

The reason it took so long to remediate, is with me being NYC based, 13:22, is 8:22am for me - so whilst I saw some emails from Teal saying there was an issue a few hours before, I was unable to respond.

As soon as I saw there was an issue, I reacted and was able to bring the site back up.

Next steps

In terms of what we can do to prevent this happening again, I have:

* updated the upgrade scripts to ensure we validate the forums are working

* added a step to the upgrade checklist to check for errors in application logs for the forums

* removed all traces of the prior version of PHP to avoid this specific issue being able to reoccur.

hope this helps!