Illegal pocket knife?

defender

You would need to google it but i think its over 3.5 inches with a fixed blade and you need a good excuse to carry it being out in the country etc , doing the shopping with the wife in tescos on a saturdays not . I stopped taking a knife out with me gutting rabbits when i get home but there's a small penknife hidden in the  truck for emergencies 

Although it looks to be an under 3" blade it would probably be classed as a lock knife and therefore illegal to carry in public. Could also be argued it is a form of gravity or flick knife. Basically anything apart from a traditional non locking folding knife is taboo.

Edited by TriBsa

18 minutes ago, 243deer said:

Extracted from the link...

You need a firearms certificate issued by the police to possess, buy or acquire a firearm or shotgun

Unquote

Wrong.

Also, "good reason to carry a knife" does not mention any sporting activity.

So incorrect and blinkered?

Edited by Eyefor

I carry a small knife - blade is only 1" long - on my key bunch.  It gets used almost daily - but is illegal to carry without cause because the blade locks open.  I would rather take my chances on that one because there is no way it could be considered a choice as an offensive or defensive weapon (handle is almost equally small), but the locking (which is the bit that makes it illegal) does make it safer to use because it can't close on your fingers.  Small knives do this very easily.

6 minutes ago, clakk said:

Tis a grey area how many are carrying a Leatherman with its built in lock knife unaware of the legal implications?

Well - IF you carry a Leatherman or similar when you have good reason then my understanding is that you should be OK.  Good reason might be using it in work, fieldsports, gardening etc.  Carrying around the high street, up the pub on a Friday evening, or in the supermarket is NOT good reason.  I do have a Leatherman I do carry out on a day shooting and have had occasion to use the tools from time to time.  I have always felt able to justify it - but don't carry it as a regular item.

However my tiny 1" blade is carried everywhere (except air travel of course).  In the unlikely event I got charged - I would have to rely on common sense of CPS/magistrate/jury - which might not be a good bet ......

Edited by JohnfromUK

4 minutes ago, old man said:

Why not just get a World Legal Carry?   Such as a  Lansky Madrock and just be a tad more careful.

In my case, the little knife I carry I have had for many years and at less than 5 cm and weighing very little it is very convenient and gets used for cutting tape, string, packing etc. most days  It was only when I looked at the rules I realised it was 'technically' illegal to carry without good reason.  I like the tiny size - and from past experience the very small knives seem much more prone to closing accidentally - exactly that sort of event with it's predecessor (which I still have somewhere) caused me to get this - which is a lock open.  I could go back to the litte non locker I have.

23 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Well - IF you carry a Leatherman or similar when you have good reason then my understanding is that you should be OK.  Good reason might be using it in work, fieldsports, gardening etc.  Carrying around the high street, up the pub on a Friday evening, or in the supermarket is NOT good reason.  I do have a Leatherman I do carry out on a day shooting and have had occasion to use the tools from time to time.  I have always felt able to justify it - but don't carry it as a regular item.

However my tiny 1" blade is carried everywhere (except air travel of course).  In the unlikely event I got charged - I would have to rely on common sense of CPS/magistrate/jury - which might not be a good bet ......

Tbh i carry a lambsfoot skinner ,its a 3cm folding blade ,doesnt lock and gets used to open polymer bags at work and so meets the legal criteria but i am sure  a lot of working people have to use a larger knife for work so the law needs a big overhaul to meet todays way of life 

I had a rather annoying thing, had to go into a court yesterday (brother adopting so a nice visit) and had to hand in the very legal penknife I carry - when I left they told me I couldn't have it back and now have to write to the court to request it be returned to me - total waste of time as it was still sitting behind the security desk and could have easily been handed back.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

1 hour ago, clakk said:

Tis a grey area how many are carrying a Leatherman with its built in lock knife unaware of the legal implications?

Its not illegal to have a lock knife, but you must have a good reason if you carry it in a public place like a super market for instance.

From GOV.UK website

Carry a knife in public without good reason, unless it has a folding blade with a cutting edge 3 inches long or less, (so you can carry a knife in a public place without good reason if the blade is none locking and 3 inches or less)

Lock knives are not classed as folding knives and are illegal to carry in public without good reason, (gives no mention of blade length) Edited by old'un

Had some yanks over on a shoot in November. Southern boi's. While driving  one of them in his sixties between drives we got chatting about guns, knives etc, and the right to carry in the U.S and here. He went on to tell me they were up in London the day before  and he got stopped searched and detained getting on the London eye. He was carrying  a buck knife on his belt with 7.5 in blade! Said he was carrying it to protect his family while over here as back home he always carried a side arm, and he was the town Pastor! They kept it and explained our rules to him and let him get on. He coolly said lucky it wasn't his favourite knife! About to asked how he managed to get it on a plane and over here,  but we had to get on with the shoot.  NB

20 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

What grounds were given for not giving you back your property?  I have had to hand mine (along with keys, phone etc.)  in on occasions in the past (not courts, but other official premises) and always been handed everything back without question.

'Policy'

Annoyingly the confiscation slip was justice department and said I could claim it back on the way out, the private contractor addendum said it was not their policy to return these items on the day and you have to write and request its return.

1 minute ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

'Policy'

Annoyingly the confiscation slip was justice department and said I could claim it back on the way out, the private contractor addendum said it was not their policy to return these items on the day and you have to write and request its return.

How ridiculous!  I can fully understand that in a court - certain items (such as any potential weapon, phones, cameras, recording devices) may need to be excluded.  However they should be returned as you leave.  I have often visited various premises and had that applied - especially for cameras and recording devices.

1 hour ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Ludicrous law wrote by another amoeba brained halfwit sitting at a desk....licensed to carry Firearms/Shotguns but cannot carry a knife..:rolleyes:

Like much similar legislation I feel it was written in response to high profile murders in an attempt to persuade the general public and media that ‘something has been done’, when in fact the only people effected are the law abiding. Scandalous really. Poor law poorly conceived. 

Most small folding penknives or pruning knives with short blades will meet the criteria of an 'Every Day Carry'  (EDC). Sub 3.0  inches and  not lockable. If in doubt, just buy a Swiss Army Knife! ... Endlessly useful and specifically mentioned in the legislation as a  example of an acceptable knife. 

If you act like a tw"t of course all bets are off.... A bunch of keys can be an offensive weapon if you want them to. 

Edited by Longchalk