Painting a van

ferguson_tom

I have recently bought a LWB transit for transporting our miniature steam engines to shows. Due to the paint job it looks a bit of a heap but underneath its low mileage and bodywork is actually in very good condition with no major scuffs or damage.

the current paint job is a blue spray over the original white, the blue is fading and in areas bubbling as well. My options are either paint it or wrap it, both of which i will be doing myself. It doesnt have to be perfect just a general tidy up as realistically this van will be with us until it gets turned into baked bean tins. 

So for painting option, i was going to roller it for speed and ease but has anyone got any suggestions for the paint to use?

Vinyl wrapping- has anyone done this themselves? Was it worth the effort and any hits and tips on doing it?

9 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Years ago I brush painted a series 2A Land Rover with Tekaloid, Land Rover blue coach paint, when finished it looked ok! Very much like a Land Rover! Lol!

get all your prep work sorted a tekaloid/barge boat / coach paint warm paint up and brush on allow a few days to dry and a few weeks to harden and you are good to go 

Painting with a roller is an option, but may i make a sugestion stupid as it may seem and obviously without seeing the van in the flesh so to speak.

Before i did anything try buffing up the paint thats there , it may just come up with a cheap buffing machine and some compound plenty of water keep it light after a good initial wash you might be surprised how well it comes up.

Just a thought.

as above, a flat matt finish will roll on easily enough, and the lack of shine will help hide the bobbles left by the roller sleeve, other than that do you have a compressor and a spare barn? spraying it would leave a better finish. vinyl wrapping needs to be done in the warm, and inside, nothing worse than a slight breeze catching the end of the sheet just as you're about to lay it, it's harder than it looks and doesn't always work well, especially on an uneven or flaky surface, I think the sheets come in 1.52m widths so you'll need to join it too.