roost shooting

ips

roost shooting starts next week on the estate. I did it for the first time last year and was terrible at it, didnt have many over me and when they did i couldn't hit the ruddy things 

so, any tips for were to set up, how to set up and how to hit the ruddy things

Roost shooting is not easy!

If you have a choice of woods study where the birds are coming in, look out for lots of droppings under the trees and choose somewhere fairly open but with enough cover to hide yourself. It is often just as productive to shoot flightlines coming into the woods as it is in the woods themselves.

Invariably a lot of your shooting will be 'snap' shooting with little time to set your shots up - you have to try to watch them coming in through the tree canopy.

Try to ignore the canopy (unless it's really thick) and shoot through it as if it's not there.

Roost shooting is not often about numbers - it is more about fieldcraft and concealment until the last second - it can be very exciting if there are plenty of birds about.

Good luck.  

Many novices, and sometimes over excited experienced shots take on pigeons that are out of range whilst roost shooting.

Work out a maximum distance for your shots and stick to it. When there is not much wind pigeons can descend from a great height into a wood. Let them come in.

As above plus, I try and get into the rhododendrons if you have any.

A pair of secateurs come in handy to customise where you're stood.

It's not all action and something to sit on is a good idea.

Be prepared to move position as you will spot some areas in the wood which are getting more activity than others.

Once I've found a good spot I use a rangefinder to measure the treetops ( I know this sounds bonkers ) in the killing ground so I know exactly whats shootable and whats not.

Good luck

Edited by Robertt

Well,     so much for bloomin face masks  !  Having read all about how I need a face mask (having shot 1000's of pigeons without one)  not owning such a piece of modern equipment, I managed to borrow one of them clown's masks from the Grandkids. Have to say it did not work too well, every time I mounted the gun, the mask got pushed to the left and covered my eyes. Frightened the fertiliser out of the young lady at the local garage too !  Did not think we still had so many Police Vehicles  ! 

3 minutes ago, Westley said:

Well,     so much for bloomin face masks  !  Having read all about how I need a face mask (having shot 1000's of pigeons without one)  not owning such a piece of modern equipment, I managed to borrow one of them clown's masks from the Grandkids. Have to say it did not work too well, every time I mounted the gun, the mask got pushed to the left and covered my eyes. Frightened the fertiliser out of the young lady at the local garage too !  Did not think we still had so many Police Vehicles  ! 

Hey Westley that must of been a sight.

Calling all cars, calling all cars be on the lookout for Coco :lol:

Hope you did not cause too much of a disturbance and you got some shots in.

atb

7diaw

I was out this afternoon on the estate where I beat a lot. About 10 of us turned out and everyone has their favourite bit of wood to shoot. I went to a piece that I had seen a few pigeons using over the last few weeks. I did not shoot that well but managed 17 for about 45 shots, it was very windy and wet. 

I try and find an opening in the canopy, I wear a flat cap or baseball cap with a scrim scarf over my face. It was cold today so I also had gloves on. I try and let the birds come in close before I move then a snap shot or two and hopefully I result. 

Ips, how did you get on?

I was in a new wood to me.

Nothing landing, all passing shots and none of them easy in a strong wind.

Picked 9, lost 4 in the rhodys.

Unfortunately the wind, which was channeling birds to me dropped and killed it for me.

Had 2 outstanding shots that made my day and so as not to spoil it I binned my cartridges without counting them.

Did my first ever roost shooting session yesterday, and I'd say it's the best form of shooting I've had in my (limited) experience. Key lessons I learned from 1st attempt and mistakes

1. When you do find a clearing, make sure the trees aren't to tall that the birds are all high difficult shots

2. Focus on 180 degrees in front. At one stage I was spinning round like a swivel headed loon, trying in get on every bird, only to miss as my footwork was all over the place

3. Stand with back to the wind, so incoming birds are flying against the wind and travelling that bit slower 

Hopefully I'll bag a few more birds next week, either way Im counting down the days. 

On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 14:01, V8 90 said:

Worse ??

Ya cheeky *** ? 

On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 09:30, Robertt said:

Ips, how did you get on?

I was in a new wood to me.

Nothing landing, all passing shots and none of them easy in a strong wind.

Picked 9, lost 4 in the rhodys.

Unfortunately the wind, which was channeling birds to me dropped and killed it for me.

Had 2 outstanding shots that made my day and so as not to spoil it I binned my cartridges without counting them.

first day this sat, will report back ?