"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

Well after a fraught drive up the A14...arrived at this amourers workshop / smithy to pick up aforsaid LINISHING MACHINE.....which is now the start of my new endevour.....into the world of knife making...got to keep busy you see ..

The machine was made inbetween 1925 and 1950...couple of bits were broken on it but had been mended 50 or so years ago...the bed is flat and the rollers run true.....so im now going to take it apart and give it a damn good seeing to....might post a few pics up later....

so the idea here is to do a start to finish of some idiot starting from scratch....to final product...........i will ...nay ....demand input and abuse from you lot of saddoes.....

so watch this space...:yahoo:

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh good.

With your Landrover engines all sorted and with the demise of Viking I was almost tempted to start a thread on the rehabilitation of a 1960s combine harvester which I found in a farm yard recently. PW readers will be pleased to have been spared from that.

Lots of pictures please. I will come and take some to get you started if you wish.

25 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

What is a linishing machine, i surely have no idea, i will resist the temptation to look it up. Much more satisfying to get me daily fill (ooer missuss) from the master Ditchy, the purveyor of strange sounding, weird and wonderful mechanical things.

look it up and you will see the modern version...:good:

Can't fault that. With a little of your 'magic wand' refurbishment and a bit of grease in those nipples.... am I allowed to say that? ......that should be a very useful bit of kit.

I have a small vertical  machine which does the same job, but have been looking for a larger bench mounted horizontal version like yours.

Belt driven ??

Edited by Walker570

Cheers ditchy

just looked them up, though they appear all clean and shiny i don't think they will hold a candle to your mighty linishing beast, talk about a proper built machine that was built to last whilst others have gone to the great work yard in the sky. The new Clarke and Sealey ones i just looked at might be good for filing yer toenails but the Qualters looks like it would have any digit or limb down to the bone in seconds :lol:

Cannot wait to see it in action.

atb 

7diaw

i will take it apart tomorrow...spray it with gunk remover and power wash it...and take it from there...with pics ofcoarse...

it is a beast..not very big ...but weighs 3/4 cwt......just a thick lump of iron

Edited by ditchman

This thread couldn't have come at a better time , the inland wildfowling is now finished and it isn't warm enough to spend time in the garden , so your new thread will be like a breath of fresh air .

My overalls are now cleaned and ironed after being engrossed with your land rover thread so I am all ready for your new project  , and after you have made that a success , that maybe , just maybe you and Mr JDog could get your heads together and sort his 1960s combine harvester out , now that would keep me occupied till the wildfowling season restart .

5 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

But is it a proper combine harvester, one with no cab and 2 1/4 cwt railway sacks to fill?

Could well be if it is from the 60s , come with a spare Red poker dot hankie to put over your mouth when cutting , my concern would be , is there anyone on here who could still lift the 16 + stone sacks of corn. :no:

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Could well be if it is from the 60s , come with a spare Red poker dot hankie to put over your mouth when cutting , my concern would be , is there anyone on here who could still lift the 16 + stone sacks of corn. :no:

i used to lug about "coomb" sacks of oats @ 13stone when i was 13................used to ride and help on an old class 500 draw combine/binder.....(the binder enjine had a habit of catching fire)

11 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i used to lug about "coomb" sacks of oats @ 13stone when i was 13................used to ride and help on an old class 500 draw combine/binder.....(the binder enjine had a habit of catching fire)

I don't think health and safety would allow anyone lifting those sort of weights nowadays , when I started in the building trade in 62 all the bags of cement / plaster were 1cwt bags ( 8 stone ) , now  they are all 25 kilo bags ( 4 stone ), I can feel my ole back just thinking about your 13 stone sack , if I have got to lift them if you do the combine harvester job then you can lick em and stick em ,or bend em and send em :lol:

26 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Used to back in '58/59 when I was a mad teenager and now suffer from three compressed joints lower back and almost contant sciatica, I wonder why???

Yes, also we used to climb off the Class looking like a drop outs from the Black & White Minstrel Show