"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

40 minutes ago, Paddy Galore! said:

I was just thinking ditchman, on my Makita belt sander there's a graphite and cloth backing pad that sits over the base plate and under the belt, I suppose it's there's to reduce friction between the plate and belt, would your machine need one of these?

not only but also, I got a nice chunky bit of oak in the shed if you want to make a base plate to fix all that to.

im having a 20mm thick plate milled up for me in lowestoft...for that purpose....i will see if it makes any difference if i chuck a bit of powdered grafite at it............

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, la bala said:

No No No I didnt say corset :lol::lol:

i know you didnt ....you know where the gusset is on a ladies apperial..............or i take it you have forgotton............(ps....i once saw a bloke eat a landladies knickers for a bet once)...once he chewed em up for a bit...to get all the goodness out... he then cut them up into little pieces and swallowed them....the pub was in awe of him....

8 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i know you didnt ....you know where the gusset is on a ladies apperial..............or i take it you have forgotton............(ps....i once saw a bloke eat a landladies knickers for a bet once)...once he chewed em up for a bit...to get all the goodness out... he then cut them up into little pieces and swallowed them....the pub was in awe of him....

I have even forgotten any memories i had of it ditchman :lol::lol:. I tell you what boi, i bet them smalls went down well with a pint of Mild. :drinks:

2 minutes ago, la bala said:

I have even forgotten any memories i had of it ditchman . I tell you what boi, i bet them smalls went down well with a pint of Mild. :drinks:

in "them days"......it was either Watneys red barrel.......or steward & Patterson mild ...which is what i drunk..........

they always said" Why is drinking whatneys red barral..like makin' love in a punt"

answer "cause they are both %^$£&*( close to water"

18 minutes ago, ditchman said:

in "them days"......it was either Watneys red barrel.......or steward & Patterson mild ...which is what i drunk..........

they always said" Why is drinking whatneys red barral..like makin' love in a punt"

answer "cause they are both %^$£&*( close to water"

You couldnt beat a few pints of Bullards Brown and Mild, that got your bowels working. :lol:

47 minutes ago, la bala said:

You couldnt beat a few pints of Bullards Brown and Mild, that got your bowels working. :lol:

oooohhhhh................or a pint of "2's"...............then if you wanted sex....down to the Oxfam shop.......if only we knew then what we know now..:yahoo:

10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

oooohhhhh................or a pint of "2's"...............then if you wanted sex....down to the Oxfam shop.......if only we knew then what we know now..:yahoo:

Is this known as the Happy Hour ?, when I was a drinking man , in the winter I didn't mind a pint of old or 3xxx with a hot poker shoved in it , and the rest of the year it was Lacons brown and mild , or Watneys mild as it was a bit sweeter than Lacons .

33 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Is this known as the Happy Hour ?, when I was a drinking man , in the winter I didn't mind a pint of old or 3xxx with a hot poker shoved in it , and the rest of the year it was Lacons brown and mild , or Watneys mild as it was a bit sweeter than Lacons .

wanted something sweet......then go to Lincolshire....their snakebight was 1/3 esso blue....2/3's cider.......did funny things to them up there..........:sick:

right...........went to lowestoft..they are milling up the raiser bed plate...will pick up friday................

still not sure on the motor i need and theb shaft speed...............

do i go for the 3000 rpm of the 1450rpm ??.................1.5HP or 2.0HP

any thoughts ?

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

right...........went to lowestoft..they are milling up the raiser bed plate...will pick up friday................

still not sure on the motor i need and theb shaft speed...............

do i go for the 3000 rpm of the 1450rpm ??.................1.5HP or 2.0HP

any thoughts ?

I would go for a 2.0hp and a spindle speed of 1500 you can always increase speed using stepped pulleys, try using this to calculate pulley size and speed…https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belt.aspx

got the offer of an older Compton motor....very heavy unit....1.5HP.......it draws 9 amps.............would that be related to the torque ?....if i go for an 1.5hp rather than a 2hp the extra torque would compinsate for the lower HP...then i can always up gun the speed vis different pulleys....

what do you rekon.........im all at sea with electrics........

getting hold of a 2nd hand 2hp is proving difficult..................this compton is off a saw bench with a 9" saw....it must have decent torque to drive that !!

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

got the offer of an older Compton motor....very heavy unit....1.5HP.......it draws 9 amps.............would that be related to the torque ?....if i go for an 1.5hp rather than a 2hp the extra torque would compinsate for the lower HP...then i can always up gun the speed vis different pulleys....

what do you rekon.........im all at sea with electrics........

getting hold of a 2nd hand 2hp is proving difficult..................this compton is off a saw bench with a 9" saw....it must have decent torque to drive that !!

I am no expert on electrics either but from my understanding lower rpm with a single phase motor equals more torque, 240volt x 9amp = 2160 watts of power.

If the motor is not costing you an arm and leg I would give it a try and see how it performs.

Not a expert but 9 amps is the running amps and startup amps can be quite a shove so make sure there are a few 50p,s in the meter! 

More is better my small 4" belt sander has a poxy little motor on it and flat grinding a blade takes a fair amount of grunt and its pathetic on wood other than matchstick size bits.

30 minutes ago, rovercoupe said:

Not a expert but 9 amps is the running amps and startup amps can be quite a shove so make sure there are a few 50p,s in the meter! 

More is better my small 4" belt sander has a poxy little motor on it and flat grinding a blade takes a fair amount of grunt and its pathetic on wood other than matchstick size bits.

i will have it on my welding 20amp circuit....my intention is to mounting the motor (eventually) on a sliding hinge ...as i will be fitting a 4 stepped pulley to it...so i can change the speed....to do this easily that is why i will have a hinge on the base of the motor...........and also i will be able to take it "off load" via the moving of a lever for easy starting of the motor...like a clutch (slip).....once the linisher is running very few amps are needed as it turns so well now with new rollers and bushes.....its just the starting...as the rollers are big lumps of cast steel...

anyway i should find out tomorrow afternoon when i jury rig something up.........