"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

well ive been finding out what that red thingy is in the end of the motor..............so i had the thing off...it hyas centrfugal weights on it ...which were conected to a set of points...when the motor starts...it gets up to speed then the flyweights chuck out and the points open..........

it was "chattering" on start up....full of bits of rubbish rust dust and the points needed cleaning and the contact wires...put it all back together and it starts up nice and quiet now.....

I'm suspecting from what you're describing that it is a dual winding motor with a starting circuit that it uses to get it going, seeing as how it is a big old lump, very likely a series winding like in a car starter motor, then when it is up to speed that winding is disconnected through the centrifugal switch and it runs as a parallel winding.

had another go at it today............clamped the motor down...bit unothadox but its the way to make it easy for me to change a belt or pulley without going to a lot of fuss....put a 1/2" rubber mat under the motor like Bala said.....also screwed angle iron to the bench in front of the motor....so if the belt needs tightening ...i can undo the top clamp and slip a bit of flat plate to wedge it forward a bit.......

also soon i will make a cooling bath and hand it on the side of the frame so i can keep the billet cool..........

there you go..:good:

motor clamp 001tn_.JPG

motor clamp 002tn_.JPG

motor clamp 003tn_.JPG

motor clamp 004tn_.JPG

motor clamp 005tn_.JPG

motor clamp 006tn_.JPG

motor clamp 007tn_.JPG

motor clamp 008tn_.JPG

motor clamp 009tn_.JPG

motor clamp 010tn_.JPG

motor clamp 011tn_.JPG

motor clamp 012tn_.JPG

motor clamp 013tn_.JPG

motor clamp 014tn_.JPG

motor clamp 015tn_.JPG

motor clamp 016tn_.JPG

1 hour ago, Dunkield said:

You could do with a belt sander to help with the grinding, something like this 

ae235.jpeg

actually a good question......................

a good quality one of those is about £250-400 quid.....there are cheaper versions starting at £90 quid.......

i rekon the vast majority of hobby knife makers use this kind of set up and produce some very nice pieces.....

several years ago i saw an old Pathe film on Sheffield cutlers art ...a film from the 1930's-40's and they were useing a linisher similar to mine......i have used one before but it vwas in the milling shop for facing off small castings rather than mill them flat....it was called "a flat bed linisher"...with the belt running over a milled bed...it was very accuarate....

now these machines are like hens teeth to get hold of and i was lucky to get it for £60.00.....i have seached the net and cannot find another like it...the only one i know of is belonging to the bloke who i bought it off...and he uses it for making replica swords for meusuems.......this linisher did need some work on it as it wasnt running true..and the bearings were shot and the carrier bushes were worn which made it chatter......with this type of "cutter" (i prefer to call it that as it will cut rather than high speed grind by abrasion)..does allow modification...

example ...if you want to put a perfect arc/angle on the upper edge of ...lets say a Bowie knife...you can make a former out of a piece of hardwood ..the shape of the arc and srew it to the flat bed under the belt...tighten the belt...and it follows the curve.....i also need to raise the bed slightly so i can do a nice neat plunge cut....once i have got the machine running true...thats the key...also with the adition of the cutting table i will make i can cut very accuarate angles...(hopefully)

anyway ..it is keeping me busy and you lot entertained..:lol:

1 hour ago, JDog said:

Yes you are keeping busy, us entertained and your mind off other things, albeit temporarily. Keep up the good work.

I am now saving up to buy one of the first knives off your production line.

Harnser has the first..........he will be an old man time he gets it :lol:..and you can have the 2nd (if you are not past it)..................

im getting out of my comfort zone here...but foolishly i have ordered up a set of micro metal routing tools from Boshe..(they are not even on the market yet)...i have someone in the know who has connections with Boshe.............

and im tempted IF I CANT GET THE BLADES RIGHT............i will start deep engraving the bronze and brass pommels/gaurds...with ivy leaves or sugar beet...ears of corn and such like........................but dont hold yer breath...:lol:

done a bit more today.............i couldnt be doing with looking at that "off-centre" roller....so had that spun off by nick in lowestoft...and at the same time picked up the flat bed raiser...(see that in the last 2 pics where im holding it in more ore less the roight place)

started it up.....much better no vibration...took a lot of metal off that off-centre roller....still got the "chattering" on the guides which i will add weld to and file down tomorrow....when i put pressure on the guides it stops chattering and all you can hear and see is a slight vibration...and hear the "HISSsss" of the belt as it slips over the old bed.....so the only job now ios to do that..and get some new belts ...as this one is totally knacked....it says on the underneath "MADE IN WEST GERMANY"..so it is a few years old :lol:...it will run straighter when i have a new belt on.......then i can round off the transition points on the bed raiser to suit the angle of attack of the belt.....

thats yer lot today........christ it is getting cold here...temp has dropped summat chronic...........:oops:

flat bed raiser 001tn_.JPG

flat bed raiser 002tn_.JPG

flat bed raiser 003tn_.JPG

flat bed raiser 004tn_.JPG

flat bed raiser 005tn_.JPG

flat bed raiser 006tn_.JPG

flat bed raiser 007tn_.JPG

flat bed raiser 008tn_.JPG

flat bed raiser 009tn_.JPG