"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

1 hour ago, old'un said:

I will wait and see once you have sorted thing out, but I still think the table should be at 90 deg to the belt.:oops:

well it aint...................................i think i can do more with it like this than 90deg's to the belt................i think with the fast speed narrow belts you may well be right...but with this old slow speed unit a different way of doing things is needed....this is a "linisher" not a belt sander....it has been made to "lay" metal on it not have metal forced up 90deg's to face on it...

anyway we will see and if it dont work i will chuck it away........i thought of a 90deg table or gate...but in essence all that would be is a ledge to stop the billet sliding back ....the rest of the shaping would be down to a very steady hand and skill....par example......"how could you garuntee to continue a cut after taking it off to cool it in EXACTLY THE SAME PLACE AND ANGLE....you cant...anyway i cant...but i can with the table.....i can get the cut right TO 1 DEG'....!...........

also i can alter the ammount i can take off ...i can feel it cutting and hear it ...the sound it makes...its like using a high quality plane (wood)....you can hear and feel if it is right...............i will make a 90 & 45 & 30deg gate for edge work....but to do a accurate cut to 1 deg on GFS...i need to work it out on paper and set the pertractor and off i go............

Edited by ditchman

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow should be a bit of a laugh.............i cant be "bottomed" to empty the cupboard under the sink and clean the "u" bend on the sink......so im going to put the jet wash onto needle jet and point it down the plughole...............

i know i know i know....everything is toooo wrong ....ive got one side of my brain saying "hey thats a really good idea ...will save a lot of time and swearing and bending down..."

the the other side of the brain is saying ..."you really ought to think this thro' all sorts of things could happen including the trap might get blown off....a little more thought on this one please"

well the reckless side has won and imgoing to give it a go.......................

what to you rekon............

(the mrs has dementia and even she has raised an eyebrow at the idea)............:lol:

6 minutes ago, la bala said:

I think you should go for it with lots of pics :lol:.   Tell you what boi, bit of carbide goes well in water :lol::lol::lol: especially if your smoking your rollup.:lol:

im cleaning the sink not making a NATO gas gun..............

sort of comes to mind those immortal words

"you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"........

i mean honestly what can go wrong eh !

5 minutes ago, ditchman said:

im cleaning the sink not making a NATO gas gun..............

sort of comes to mind those immortal words

"you were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off"........

i mean honestly what can go wrong eh !

Blow-back :shaun::lol:

I only ask as 90 deg to the belt seems the logical way, but you could prove me wrong,

Also looking at nearly all the videos on knife making all the tables are set this way (90deg).

as I said earlier you can still get the angle you require by tilting the table to the desired angle, the blade is held in a jig which is run across the belt with only light hand pressure and tapered of near the curved point of the blade so all the cut/linishing lines are running in the same plain, as you say it requires some skill/practice but I am sure a man of your talents would soon pick that up.

It might be me but I cannot see how you can draw the blade across the belt and get the tapering off towards the point of the blade.

blade point.JPG

12 minutes ago, old'un said:

I only ask as 90 deg to the belt seems the logical way, but you could prove me wrong,

Also looking at nearly all the videos on knife making all the tables are set this way (90deg).

as I said earlier you can still get the angle you require by tilting the table to the desired angle, the blade is held in a jig which is run across the belt with only light hand pressure and tapered of near the curved point of the blade so all the cut/linishing lines are running in the same plain, as you say it requires some skill/practice but I am sure a man of your talents would soon pick that up.

It might be me but I cannot see how you can draw the blade across the belt and get the tapering off towards the point of the blade.

blade point.JPG

Ahhhhhhhhh...........hhhahhahhhhhhhhhhhhha...:lol:......im going to let you think about that...im not going to give you the answer its all to do with geometry of the blade....will say no more :good:

bloody doomsayers the lot of yer...:lol:

just because some nutter comes up with a different way of doing things...you all get the bloody willies...............look this is how the human race progressed...(apart from Great Yarmouth)...

"half glass full not half empty"...........................a bit of encouragement please........my life is 24/7 of downers...and this is my way of fighting back..:lol:

instead of saying "thats the way its done"................................what about "what if"...........the journey is far more exciting...........anyway its keeping you lot entertained at my expense

Edited by ditchman

Come-on ditchman, they were suggestions not criticisms or commands, I hope your ideas work and you prove me wrong and as you say, the human race progressed by trying things out, keep going at it and don’t take any notice of what other people say, I’ll keep quiet in the future, sorry.:unhappy:

2 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Hi Ditchman , can i ask you what you use to clean out the **** that gets stuck in your belts . I use a piece of old hose to clean mine. I have even seen someone use the sole of a old slipper. I dont throw out my belts till they can no longer be used . Enjoying your work .

look im a virgin to all this stuff ...you tell me...im all ears..:good:

27 minutes ago, old'un said:

Come-on ditchman, they were suggestions not criticisms or commands, I hope your ideas work and you prove me wrong and as you say, the human race progressed by trying things out, keep going at it and don’t take any notice of what other people say, I’ll keep quiet in the future, sorry.:unhappy:

no dont keep quiet..................its all new to me so it needs to be discussed..:good:

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

Tomorrow should be a bit of a laugh.............i cant be "bottomed" to empty the cupboard under the sink and clean the "u" bend on the sink......so im going to put the jet wash onto needle jet and point it down the plughole...............

i know i know i know....everything is toooo wrong ....ive got one side of my brain saying "hey thats a really good idea ...will save a lot of time and swearing and bending down..."

the the other side of the brain is saying ..."you really ought to think this thro' all sorts of things could happen including the trap might get blown off....a little more thought on this one please"

well the reckless side has won and imgoing to give it a go.......................

what to you rekon............

(the mrs has dementia and even she has raised an eyebrow at the idea)............

I reckon a complete repainting job of your ceiling will be required, and you won't need pink to white too see where you've been either.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

bloody doomsayers the lot of yer...:lol:

just because some nutter comes up with a different way of doing things...you all get the bloody willies...............look this is how the human race progressed...(apart from Great Yarmouth)...

I am not so sure progression is a good thing when it comes to unblocking a sink waste with a jet wash , we will stick to clearing the cupboard out and undoing the trap , far easier and less mess to clear up when completed :lol:  

9 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I am not so sure progression is a good thing when it comes to unblocking a sink waste with a jet wash , we will stick to clearing the cupboard out and undoing the trap , far easier and less mess to clear up when completed   

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ditchy, if I may make a suggestion to your plug hole operation. I have recently developed a knack of unblocking filthy traps with compressed air. Just poke a nice thin nozzle down to the required point and give it a short blast. Works a treat. I guess the same will be true of the pressure hose. Just remember safety first, goggles on or look the other way and keep your mouth closed, I cannot stress this point enough!!!

13 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Please take plenty of before and after pictures!

CAR CRASH TV will resume after ive had my 2nd cup of coffee....then its out with the 130bar pressure washer....plug hole here we come..................