"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Add a bit for adjustment. I have quite a bit of goat and audad horn which makes nice spacers ...polishes up nicely. I'll include some.  pm me an address when you know the size.

The antler I have is not a big thick piece but for a 'tang' fitting will just fit the hand nicely. Have some smaller bits of Axis(chital) as well.  Your welcome to it. Chuck it away if it is no good.

i wont be doing any tang fitting knives...they will all be scaled....i will measure up later...:good:

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hah!  OK well I would guess this antler will give you about  1 1/8th inches of cover if you cut  down the centre and it does have a bit of a curve to it so may be not what your looking for.

Now you could go the whole hog and make your own micarta.  I made some with white paper and it looks like bone. Still have to make a knife to bolt it to.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Hah!  OK well I would guess this antler will give you about  1 1/8th inches of cover if you cut  down the centre and it does have a bit of a curve to it so may be not what your looking for.

Now you could go the whole hog and make your own micarta.  I made some with white paper and it looks like bone. Still have to make a knife to bolt it to.

doesnt matter if it has a bit of a curve i will cut the tang with a curve....1 1/8" should be ok..................

nothing to report..........been working out materials i need as im going to do an order of steel next week when me pension stuff gets paid in..........

stainless 316 FS bar

stainless316 FS sheet/bar

O1 GSF

been toying with a few ideas..my mate is an ex boatbuilder now cabinate maker/wood butcher....he goes to several wood suppliers and is keeping an eye out for interesting bits of foriegn hardwoods for me..(offcuts).......

so not much movement until next week............

QUESTION......

just explain to me about this gas attack in Salibury...they keep on saying "it was a military grade nerve agent"..........

so is there a domestic version available ?    maybe next to the Marmite in Tescos....

37 minutes ago, old'un said:

I wouldn’t worry about chemical weapons....the way Norfolk is falling into the sea you better get some old pallets from Walker and build yourself a boat/Ark.:lol:

You ain't havin' my pallets and I live 330ft above sea level, so if it starts lapping at my door I'm expecting a big guy with a long beard and a boat full of animals to call in and pick us all up.:good:

...scratch & sniff event ...  ??? Sounds like back streets of Birmingham.

Hmmm learn something new every day. I've never had that happen.   You can get screw through pins of course which would prevent any movement and these could be inlet and then plugged/filled ....J&B and brass filings make a nice finish for this job.

How long do you want these bits of antler cut  ? 

3 hours ago, fatchap said:

I find if you cut antler down the middle into two halves if you dont fix them onto the tang within 24 hours they start to curl back on themselves and are then an absolute nightmare to fix.

Epoxy and two tight fitting at least 4mm pins either end.

hhmmm............could it be that antlers that do that havnt dried out properly......the antler that i had was about 4 years old.....

thanks for that that is something i will keep in mind...:good:

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Hmmm learn something new every day. I've never had that happen.   You can get screw through pins of course which would prevent any movement and these could be inlet and then plugged/filled ....J&B and brass filings make a nice finish for this job.

How long do you want these bits of antler cut  ? 

4-5"......?

just had a good clearout and change around in the shed.....getting alll the tools together i need for this "venture"...needle files...shaped files...etc:..............

have moved my main vice and added to it 2 micro vices....also got the leather for the jaws so it dosnt mark the metal.......

also i have drawn out 30 odd scale designs for a none folding knife...plus a few for a lock knife....and have chosen the first one to make for Harnser as promised....nice clean lines a good smart simple knife (not a weapon ...grizzly killer...indian fighting machine)......over the last few days i have trawled the internet looking at knives   and i rekon 80% of them are designed to inflict damage on the human frame...the other 20% are tools of which i only chose 5 that i liked....im not copying any existing knife but i have borrowed ideas from a number of knife designs..........so thye blades i will produce will all be one off...not 100% copies of other peoples work....

will order up steel on mon-tues...and proberly start work towards the end of the week.....................

preparation 001tn_.JPG

preparation 002tn_.JPG

preparation 003tn_.JPG

preparation 004tn_.JPG

11 minutes ago, la bala said:

If your not doing anything until next week, would you like to come and make my workshop as tidy as yours. Unlimited tea and rollups.

you havnt seen what ive chucked out...and what there is still to chuck out...........with what ive thrown away i could build an ion sub light starship enjine.....and thats a fact.....

A couple of chunks of antler and so other interesting goodies ready for shipment. PM me a shipping address and they will be in the post in the morning.  You have about 5 1/2 inches to 6 inches length to play with. They are slightly curved which should fit nicely to the hand.  They are quite old so should not move when you slice them...I think harvested around 1989.  Some goat and bog oak as well.  When you get to the folder let me know what size the handle will be as I have lots of smaller stuff.

Edited by Walker570