"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

2 hours ago, ditchman said:

QUESTION

there is another thread running at the moment about stainless steel...............

if i purchase 304 s/s and slow my drill press down to 500rpm and use a cooling fluid and titanium coated drill bits...........

will i have any problem drilling through 304 s/s...............

:hmm:

No, as long as you apply enough pressure to prevent the drill skidding on the stainless and use lots of lubrication - ooh err missus.

You can "feel" the right amount of pressure that you need for an efficient cut.

Make sure that the piece is securely clamped down, because I find that the drill invariably "catches" as it breaks through at the end.

The swarf is razor sharp too

I just use good quality HSS drills on the stainless that I drill.

However, having written this, don't forget that not all stainless is uniform in composition, and sometimes you can get a real horror to work on - but you probably wouldn't want to make a knife out of that anyway

Edited by amateur

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, amateur said:

No, as long as you apply enough pressure to prevent the drill skidding on the stainless and use lots of lubrication - ooh err missus.

Make sure that the piece is securely clamped down, because I find that the drill invariably "catches" as it breaks through at the end.

However, having written this, don't forget that not all stainless is uniform in composition, and sometimes you can get a real horror to work on - but you probably wouldn't want to make a knife out of that anyway

the stainless i will be using is the 2nd softness i can get........wont be used for the blade just the fittings......the blade in time will loose its mirror finish and go a soft gunmetal colour but the stainless fittings will remain mirror polished.....i have a very old imperial hand press drill which i can feel the pressure i put on it.....

so you rekon i will be ok with the tools i intend to use...?

Stainless steel is easy to drill with HSS drills and coolant, but if you want to make life easy then tungsten carbide or colbalt drills, tungsten is expensive so colbalt might be a better option.

Edited by old'un

2 hours ago, amateur said:

I can show you a picture to illustrate that:good:

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

the stainless i will be using is the 2nd softness i can get........wont be used for the blade just the fittings......the blade in time will loose its mirror finish and go a soft gunmetal colour but the stainless fittings will remain mirror polished.....i have a very old imperial hand press drill which i can feel the pressure i put on it.....

so you rekon i will be ok with the tools i intend to use...?

Yes

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

i wish politicans would give answers like that...:good:

I'm no politician, nor an engineer just an amateur who has played with bikes (which have somehow become classics) for the past 50 years

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Off topic a bit but amateur, can you put up a full photo of that bike your sitting on, maybe in the motoring threads.

It is a 750cc Rickman Enfield that I have owned for the past 47 years.

Having worn out, and sold, the Enfield engine I have now almost completed fitting a brand new Nourish Weslake 850 engine and Quaife 5 speed box.

When I have got it going (rewiring and brake hydraulics to finish) I will write it up with pics in the motoring section

Edited by amateur
punctuation

9 minutes ago, amateur said:

It is a 750cc Rickman Enfield that I have owned for the past 47 years.

Having worn out, and sold the Enfield engine, I have now almost completed fitting a brand new Nourish Weslake 850 engine and Quaife 5 speed box.

When I have got it going (rewiring and brake hydraulics to finish) I will write it up with pics in the motoring section

Look forward to it

Another hurdle climbed

picture..

1. hot rolled mild billet (finish)
  2. full scadia cut and polish
  3. same but different angle
  4. half scandia cut x 2 just playing about on the linisher
  5. another pic of mirror finish full cut
  6. another pic of full cut but i have back cut it by 5mm

Process.......

1. cut on machine with 150 grit belt
  2. gently rub down with 240 emery paper (dry)
  3. polish 1st stage hard mop coarse paste (black)
  4. polish 2nd stage medium mop , medium paste (light green)
  5. polish 3rd stage soft mop , fine paste (pink)
  6. stand back and admire...:lol::cool1:..taa-daaa

polishing mops 001tn_.JPG

polishing mops 002tn_.JPG

polishing mops 003tn_.JPG

polishing mops 004tn_.JPG

polishing mops 005tn_.JPG

polishing mops 006tn_.JPG

56 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Could  you do me car :good:

42 minutes ago, la bala said:

Thats some finish you have there ditchman, well done you. You dont clean windows by any chance do you.

Ho Ho Ho....(hollow laugh).............oh crazy people...........:crazy: