"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

3 SUCESS STORIES....:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

1. Dont mess about undoing the trap......power wash the sucker.....2 mins @130 Bar....jobs a gooden....
  2. ordered up springs for the machine at 12 o'clock arrived 10.45 this morning
  3. Cutting as opposed to grinding...have put 2 pics up of the stuff from the linisher and stuff from the grinder.....you can clearly see the "cuttings" small strips of metal and the grinder stuff hasnt any and is a mess...............what do you rekon......enlarge the pics using the ctrl button and the mouse wheel....

springs an stuff 001tn_.JPG

springs an stuff 002tn_.JPG

springs an stuff 003tn_.JPG

springs an stuff 004tn_.JPG

springs an stuff 005tn_.JPG

springs an stuff 006tn_.JPG

springs an stuff 007tn_.JPG

springs an stuff 008tn_.JPG

springs an stuff 009tn_.JPG

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, la bala said:

:lol::lol::lol: You will have to excuse me ditchman, I thought the first two pics were what came out the Ubend. Tell you what boi, watch those cuttings/grindings, they are pretty flammable I have had my belt grinder alight more than once.

Hhmmmm....i will bear that in mind............when i was young i used to make flares out of wire wool and chlorate......went up a treat and you could light then with a match.....

i have in the past done Thermite welding / casting....a lot of people dont know metal burns well..:hmm::hmm:

4 minutes ago, ditchman said:

Hhmmmm....i will bear that in mind............when i was young i used to make flares out of wire wool and chlorate......went up a treat and you could light then with a match.....

i have in the past done Thermite welding / casting....a lot of people dont know metal burns well..

Yep that Thermite is something else, Volcanos come to mind.

2 hours ago, la bala said:

You will have to excuse me ditchman, I thought the first two pics were what came out the Ubend. Tell you what boi, watch those cuttings/grindings, they are pretty flammable I have had my belt grinder alight more than once.

:good:that was my first thought to, could have spun that and made a gansey :lol:

just a brief update...

table tension springs now fixed....i will post a couple of pics up later.............ive been fooling about with some old skanky bits of metal on the machine...and getting the procedure right........the way this has to be done to make a perfect blade is to treat the machine ..not as a grinder/linisher...but to do one cut at a time like how you use a milling machine....so i have worked out there will be 3-4 cuts each side to produce a fine blade....will have to be done in 2 stages

1. remove 80% of stock...so it is left with plenty of meat on the cutting edge for hardening and tempering
  2. remove remaining stock after tempering

then polish...finish edge with a fine diamond file on a guide

i need some good quality fine...rattail files....half round...flat...etc.............

so now im toying with the idea of ordering up enough GFS o1 for 4 blades...and cutting and shaping them up to 80% ready for hardening and tempering..................

then i will start to think about a heat source and quenching tank and funiture for the handle.......

so thats the plan..............

Got the springs on now and they hold the table rock solid....didnt want to spot weld thye holders to the table as it might introduce a warp to the bed/table so i riverted them in place (peened them over)....then smoothed off the uppeside of thetable

and thats that...............looking at getting in 2 bars of flat stock o1 ...40mm..x...4mm...x..500mm.....£20 odd quid......and starting to sketch out some blade shapes now...

its all getting tooo close now:lol:....i have to put my money where my big fat mouth is now.............when the tool steel arrives i will proberly take frit and bin the lot and the machine and leave pigeonwatch..me and my big gob ey :lol::lol:

springs 001tn_.JPG

springs 002tn_.JPG

springs 003tn_.JPG

springs 004tn_.JPG

4 minutes ago, la bala said:

Hey ditchman, how come one spring has 62 turns on it and the other one has 75.

cant get me on that i measured them and they are both the same ................im not VIKING you know.....i tell you what for a wednesday afternoon if that is all you have to do is sit infront of the computer and count the coils on a spring...............that is sad.......:lol:

Edited by ditchman

Have faith dear boy ...Have faith. It looks like it is all coming together nicely.  I like your style ..work out each stage before progressing to the next, wherehas I go at it like a bull in a china shop...but you do learn quickly how to cover up your mistakes:yes:   Any ideas on shape/style/use of blades? Fancy or practical?

18 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Have faith dear boy ...Have faith. It looks like it is all coming together nicely.  I like your style ..work out each stage before progressing to the next, wherehas I go at it like a bull in a china shop...but you do learn quickly how to cover up your mistakes:yes:   Any ideas on shape/style/use of blades? Fancy or practical?

totally practicle.................it must shout "use me" when you pick it up....and must feel nice in the hand............(like some other things that come to mind)

37 minutes ago, la bala said:

He's busy today.

keep yer knickers on....here i come....

1st i got an old original aluminium angle poise out of the loft which i rescued and mended from a village hall sale for a fiver....so i rigged that up and started to mess about a'cutting..this is not the shape of any blade that i will produce....i want to put the machine thro' the accuarcy test....which it passed...i should get the blade down to an even 0.5mm with no deflection before i finish off by hand :hmm:

i went for a full scandinavian cut at 2deg's (from edge to spine)...then altered the table and recut at 5deg's or so ...just wanted to satisfy myself i could get a good neat interface  which i could...i rekon its not too bad for a first attempt.....the final article will of coarse be polished ..then allowed to fade as it will ...thats what o1 tool steel will do.....

so im still fiddling about....and im in pain...cramp in my right wrist using muscles i dont usally use...........

(and before any of you say anything i may be decommisioned but i would term myself as still being on active service...regards the other thing)

so there you go....

try cuts 001tn_.JPG

try cuts 002tn_.JPG

try cuts 003tn_.JPG

try cuts 004tn_.JPG

try cuts 005tn_.JPG

try cuts 006tn_.JPG

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Is the adjustable stop the next thing on your list?

eerrr yup...i think......need a couple of coarse cutting belts...and tool steel billets....then bronze bar ....brass bar...deer antler pieces....  copper rod.....christ the list goes on..........have to put myself on the street at 6d a time..........then they will want a VAT reciept and change..............