"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

1 hour ago, bruno22rf said:

Should there not be a "stop" across the top of the belt?

yes you are quite right...................but....i bought this as i can greatly modify it....as it is a "flatbed linisher"...when i put a knife blank on it i cannot grind the throat of the blade.....

sooooooo........my intention is on monday i will go down to Acle and get a 100mm wide 12mm thich plate made and machined....to raise the bed so i will be able to grind the blade throat....also it will allow me to fit an adjustable angle grinding plate/guide to it...i wont say more than that at the moment ....i will address that as i get nearer to doing it.....

right now...ive had my 3 cups of tea and i have soaked the macine in desiel and i will jet wash it in a few mins before i completly take it apart ...with pics...

2 hours ago, bigman said:

Looks like a solid bit of kit that , the contact wheels will come in very handy shaping your handles etc will it run horizontal or vertical ? 

i might make it so it can be run up or down.....:good:

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Morning 

when you get as far as sourcing the belts try and get a ceramic one 

worth the money long term ?

This is going to be fun 

Bala pointed that out to me...so what with you going on about it as well ...i shall wander down that route..............i will also fit 2 or 3 different size pullies to the motor when i get it...so i can change from a fast coarse grinding/cutting speed...to a slower more smoother 1st fine polishing speed...................

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

My colleague went to Morrison's and got me some beer an hour and a half ago, get on with it!

you will be motherless come lunchtime......................you better not be a bitchin' and a moanin' at me then....know what you saturday lunchtime suppers are like...:lol::friends:

6 minutes ago, ditchman said:

you will be motherless come lunchtime......................you better not be a bitchin' and a moanin' at me then....know what you saturday lunchtime suppers are like...:friends:

Sir you paint me with your own brush!:rolleyes:

I am bored at work and have been on here in between tea-breaks!:good:

1 hour ago, bigman said:

@ditchman when you say the throat of the blade do you mean the plunge? Not trying to teach to suck eggs an all that just curious ole pal 

you may well be right...i will have to get sussed up on the terminology...........its when the belt grinds straight down into the blank to get the angle ....what it dosnt grind (at the area where the blade joins the handle....a shoulder is left......................:hmm:

doing the drive roller was an utter nightmare....the main drive shaft had rusted onto the inside of the roller...and because the machine is cast...you cant smack it with a hammer.....just had to use a little heat and a set of stilsons to twist it to get it mooving...........

take apart 013tn_.JPG

take apart 014tn_.JPG

take apart 015tn_.JPG

take apart 016tn_.JPG

take apart 017tn_.JPG

first pic of the roller...is weird......the bloke who did the casting must have been off his head as he couldnt get the casting straight.....anyway it was straightened up in the lathe when it was bored out.......just looks funny as it is off-centre

starting to clean up the bits now.................

thats yer lot for today as im cold and have stuff to do.........

enjoy..:yahoo:

take apart 020tn_.JPG

take apart 021tn_.JPG

take apart 022tn_.JPG

take apart 023tn_.JPG

take apart 024tn_.JPG

30 minutes ago, ditchman said:

EXCELLENT...:yahoo:now i know what im a talkin' about................................(just)............

100mmx13mm bed raiser...............thats excactly it what its for...:good:

Ok, so will you be mounting the bed upright/vertical for flat grinding? as the belt drums are to small (diameter) for hollow grinding anything but the smallest blade.

Are the shafts running on roller bearings?

15 minutes ago, old'un said:

Ok, so will you be mounting the bed upright/vertical for flat grinding? as the belt drums are to small (diameter) for hollow grinding anything but the smallest blade.

Are the shafts running on roller bearings?

if i do hollow grinding it will be on a jig on the 8" fine grinder....the belt grinder wilol be at 45deg....and there will also be an adjustable table added to it to get the primary grind/bevel spot on...i will be vable to adjust it 1deg at a time till its right..............

the drive roller is on 3 sets of needle roller bearings.....the adjustment roller is steel on steel with grease holes..........

Edited by ditchman

14 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Looking good, I hope tomorrows instalment will be another good one.

depends what the weather is like ... i.got really cold today...................

went down the butchers and got some of my favourite chipolatas ...they melt in your mouth type ...nice and crummy do them in the oven....so will have them with homemade chips tin of beans and eggs done in the chip oil............(not the beans tho').

27 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Looking good, I hope tomorrows instalment will be another good one.

10 minutes ago, ditchman said:

depends what the weather is like ... i.got really cold today...................

went down the butchers and got some of my favourite chipolatas ...they melt in your mouth type ...nice and crummy do them in the oven....so will have them with homemade chips tin of beans and eggs done in the chip oil............(not the beans tho').

2 minutes ago, old'un said:

What!..you haven’t got a heater in your workshop, well I don’t think we will see much of you next week (unless you man-up) as its supposed to-be turning colder. 

Well you really should wear a coat rather than working in this;

Mankini_Borat_style_on_the_beach_-_man_looking_natural_wearing_green_swimsuit.jpg