"im mainly (at it again)"

ditchman

On 06/02/2018 at 17:48, Walker570 said:

Old 16 gauge barrel cut and flattened at the chamber end produce this knife. Sharp as a razor. Laying such either side of a piece of tool steel as you suggest is an interesting idea. Worth a try.  Don't the Japs do that sort of thing ?

2013-08-26 23.34.44 (800x572).jpg

you know what walker...ive been looking at that 16bore knife and im really taken with the simplcity of it.....nice one:good:

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blast from the past, the old Damascus Barreled Knifes...

Easily done, you get an excellent edge, but it doesn't last that long.

The metals to soft & burrs, your constantly running over a steel to keep the edge.

No good incorporating it Japanese Style making a knife either, not enough carbon content to harden.

GSLy3MN.jpg

JX3BWO5.jpg

vDrg75y.jpg

Neat little knife.  Your correct, they do need a wipe every now and then but I have managed to clean a couple of roe before that was necessary with mine. I found it a pretty way to save some interesting historic metal from the scrap yard.  My working knife is a powder steel BUCK folder incorporating a saw blade as well, not pretty but does the job in spades.

9 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Neat little knife.  Your correct, they do need a wipe every now and then but I have managed to clean a couple of roe before that was necessary with mine. I found it a pretty way to save some interesting historic metal from the scrap yard.  My working knife is a powder steel BUCK folder incorporating a saw blade as well, not pretty but does the job in spades.

thats why i want to try in the future to sandwich some damascus onto a billet of o1 .......................wether it can be done without burning the o1 only time will tell

right ...picked up the new bearings ...wind them in....slick as snot.............

bit of lube jobs a gooden..................temperature falling ...back infront of fire...........watched briefly alistaire cambell being interveiwed by sky..........what a nasty bit of work he is...i forgot how bad he was until just now...he aint changed....i remember when adam boulton was interveiwing him outside parliament...they got phyisical with each other and fists nearly started flying..........

new bearings 001tn_.JPG

new bearings 002tn_.JPG

new bearings 003tn_.JPG

new bearings 004tn_.JPG

new bearings 005tn_.JPG

23 hours ago, la bala said:

Thanks mel.           Anyone else on here have links to plans?

This site has some really good tips and plan builds for a number of knife related items, look on the right hand side and scroll down to Gas Forge Build, the guy uses a old compressor tank for his build but also mentions using an old propane bottle, the one thing I liked about this build is it can be turned vertical to turn it into a foundry for smelting, hope this give you some help/ideas.

I also like the look of his belt grinder/linisher.....http://dcknives.blogspot.co.uk/

forge foundry.jpg

Like that. I have an old gas bottle lying doing nothing ...... now look what you've gone and done !!  Still the next five days look decidedly cold wet and horrible so indoor play.

I like the idea of a foundry mode as I have a fair bit of bronze, bits of figurines etc, which need melting down and using for other things.

I have the standard gas torch, would that convert for this job or do I need another torch ?

1 hour ago, Whitebridges said:

Yep I did. All working perfectly now.  

Good people to deal with ditch.

This is the gun a .22 Falcon Prairie. I picked it up for under a oner as it wouldn't shoot. Easy fix and it like the heavy barracuda's. It's old but it shoots well.

I was hoping you might fettle the stock but now i'd rather you went full steam ahead with the knife making - fascinating ! 

falc1.jpg    

1 hour ago, old'un said:

This site has some really good tips and plan builds for a number of knife related items, look on the right hand side and scroll down to Gas Forge Build, the guy uses a old compressor tank for his build but also mentions using an old propane bottle, the one thing I liked about this build is it can be turned vertical to turn it into a foundry for smelting, hope this give you some help/ideas.

I also like the look of his belt grinder/linisher.....http://dcknives.blogspot.co.uk/

forge foundry.jpg

Thanks for that, will have a look.

Linisher now finished...........runs as slick as snot ...tracking working perfect (so i can get a good plunge cut)...new roller bearings in....made 2 new spaces for the rollers ....just waiting for 2 new 90deg' grease nipples...........im off to Lowestoft mon' or tues' to order up the raised milled bed..............

this weekend i think i will make a table for it...think i will have it inclined at 60deg's so i can see the cut as it happens as i slide it down the cutting table ...which i will make when i getthe raised bed back...........

so a few pics to keep you going....

before and after...........

linishing mach' 001tn_.JPG

linisher finisher 001tn_.JPG

linisher finisher 002tn_.JPG

linisher finisher 003tn_.JPG

linisher finisher 004tn_.JPG

linisher finisher 005tn_.JPG

linisher finisher 006tn_.JPG

That’s looking like its just come out of the showroom.:good:

not sure what you mean by 60 deg’s so you can see the cut? I would have thought it would be better setting the linishing bed at 90 deg’s (vertical) with the table adjustable for angle and reach.

flat bed.jpg

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Shame you didn't get a couple, do them all up and sell them on!:good:

they arelike hens teeth..............this is the only one i have seen for sale................i rekon the rest of them have either been binned or gathering dust in some factory courner somewhere....

i have saved a bit of social history i rekon :lol:

Very technical, :yes: my sketch took all of a minute, :P not sure I like that idea as the belt will try to push the blade uphill, think you will find hard to control the major and minor blade angles unless you fix a piece of angle iron across the table to stop this, any reason why you do not want the table at 90 to the belt?

it is only way i can accuratley cut a 5-16deg first grind.........the tang will be on the cutting table and all i do is to keep it flush/flat on the cutting.guide table and gently push it down in contact with the belt...where it intercects with the belt..............this table is only for the first grind....for 30-90deg grinds i will ,make something else........

i have a 5 stepped pully coming so i can have different cutting speeds.....cutting finishing etc................smooth medium coarse.........

the belt direction will be coming down onto the blade not uphill...............

Edited by ditchman