Wellies - Dunlop or Aigle?

Big Al

My trusty Le Chameau  (about 10 years old) have finally sprung a leak in the right boot. I have browsed a few wellie boot threads and like the  sound of the Aigle Parcours or the the dunlop purofort.  

I need a hard wearing boot but value the warmth neoprene lining gives. I love to hear from owners of either of the above. Alternatively, if there is another boot I've missed I'd be keen to hear about it too.

Thanks

I wear Dunlop Puroforts for work (shepherd)... lovely when new but the insole soon wears out. They have good grip and are decent wellies for the money but if you're stood about I'd not say they are much good at keeping you warm... although good socks make all the difference regardless which brand you wear, IMO.

I dislike (ALL) wellies, if I'm honest, and wear lace up boots as much as I can get away with... the Dunlops are durable and hard wearing, stand upto the job well. Think my current ones are 2-3 years old, and at this time of year I'm wearing them all day, every day.

I've been selling Aigles for over a decade with only one return. Some have come over from Chameaus to buy Aigle. Not the cheapest but I can honestly say I have had the same pair of Aigles for over ten years. And I have walked for seven miles plus in them at Cub scout hikes on rainy nights. Very comfortable. 

I do not know what the Dunlops are like so I can't speak for them. Open to hear what they are like from people who have them.

I have the Leather lined Aigles and a pair of their fleece socks. The socks are only worn on really cold days. Normal walking socks are ample for your average winters day. 

Very comfortable, with a quality feel. 

Probably had mine near on 4 years (I think) and still look brand new. 

Edited by Cosd

Another vote for Aigles. I have tried others (Hunter, sealand and Harkila) all of which had a life span measured in months. The last Aigles I had lasted 5yrs+ of fairly hard, regular wear. Now have a pair of full zip parcours. Warm, very comfortable and look good after 2 seasons of beating and feeding birds

Aigle for me. I’ve had my current pair of 6 years and they are still like new despite getting very heavy use. 

My dad is into his 15th year with his and still going strong 

comfy, walk, decent grip, I have the full length zip and they are still no issues.

the one minor issue I have found, is some times if you walk heavy in the wet stuff you get a little shoot of water / mud come up from the sole, but this is very infrequent and maybe due to how I walk.

when these finally give up the ghost I will replace them with the exact same!

I have a pair of Dunlop purafoots with steel toe caps. They're about 10yr old now and still going strong. Always been very comfortable but as noted above not insulated like aigle or Cotswold so you need thick socks but other than than I've not had any problems. Probably buy another pair when these die a death 

15 hours ago, Big Al said:

My trusty Le Chameau  (about 10 years old) have finally sprung a leak in the right boot. I have browsed a few wellie boot threads and like the  sound of the Aigle Parcours or the the dunlop purofort.  

I need a hard wearing boot but value the warmth neoprene lining gives. I love to hear from owners of either of the above. Alternatively, if there is another boot I've missed I'd be keen to hear about it too.

Thanks

Barbour neoprene lined wellies

I fortunately got a pair of Parcours 2 Iso's from Countrywide halfway through last year when they had a mega sale, less than £50 delivered. I have used them for both shooting and beating this last season and really liked them. They are soft and forgiving, so don't give much support at the ankles but I've done 10 mile days without problems. They are toasty warm due to the 5mm neoprene and I'm hoping that they last for several seasons. Can't comment on the Dunlops.

Needed to get my wife some new wellies after Christmas due to her Hunter's starting to leak. Got her some Hoggs of Fife Field Sport Neoprene-lined Rubber Boots from Serious Country Sports but they were too big for her on arrival and had to send them back and couldn't go smaller since we'd got the smallest size (5). The reason I mention them is that they were impressively made, quite stout with a good sole (Vibram) and I'll keep a look out for a pair for me when I'm out and about in shooting and fishing shops, so that I can try the sizing.

I ended up getting her some locally sourced and neoprene lined Rydale wellies for £50. So far she's impressed with them but time will tell.

Good luck in your search.

Thank you one and all. 

Very interesting reading - if the prices were closer I think I'd be be going straight for the Aigle Parcours 2. I have to admit that I am a bit shocked at their price  tag.  I have no doubt that they are very good but I think I'll wait for a Spring sale like malmick found before I take the plunge.

Thanks for your input.

I have aigle parcour iso, had them 4 years, I wear them 5-6 days a week and they still look new. As comfy as a pair of slippers and warm as you could ever want from wellies  

Many dad has le chameau’s and I much prefer the aigles. Can’t comment on the Dunlop’s though. 

I have aigle parcour iso, had them 4 years, I wear them 5-6 days a week and they still look new. As comfy as a pair of slippers and warm as you could ever want from wellies  

Many dad has le chameau’s and I much prefer the aigles. Can’t comment on the Dunlop’s though. 

I will add this, if you have a pair of wellies you like and there still available then get another pair and stick them on a shelf, I won't spend £80 plus on wellies, I've gone through two pairs now since my dickies land master died on me after ten years plus but as with most things the design changes or production goes abroad, I got a good deal in last years black Friday sales only problem is my light weight wellies weigh a ton, so I'll also be keeping an eye out for sales.