Wrong date on new certificate

Royboy

Hi

my renewal came through today but when I’ve opened it they’ve put the dates from my last certificate on it !! That means my new certificate ran out on the 30th of January 2018 ! It’s the first Saturday of the February roost shoot tomorrow, where do I stand with the law side of things ? 

Phone your FEO or the firearms department ASAP. It's a tricky situation, but looking plainly you now posses guns without a valid ceritificate.

If a member of BASC would be a good idea to pester them as well. Their website contains this though-

"Any advice that it is acceptable to continue keeping your guns without a valid certificate should be ignored, even if your renewal has been submitted.

If your certificate should expire before a valid replacement is in your possession, you should ask for a temporary permit, issued under Section 7 of the Firearms Act 1968. It should be granted in the event of an administrative delay."

If it is only a SGC you could technically lend your guns to a friend for 72 hours (more if required with entering them on his cert.), and borrow a friends gun for the shoot to comply with the law.

Also, home office guidance:

15.4   “Permits should be issued by chief officers where a certificate has not been re-issued or where a variation has been delayed and the applicant has made the application in good time. This may be appropriate where the renewal of a certificate is so delayed that the applicant may otherwise be left without permission to continue possessing and using their firearm and ammunition. This may not be the case where the applicant or his referees had been uncooperative and, is, or are, substantially responsible for the delay. In these circumstances, the applicant should be advised to arrange for the firearms and ammunition to be placed in storage with a registered firearms dealer or another suitably authorised certificate holder.”

Obviously, problem being it's Friday today and FEO office will not be open Saturday.

I personally would  send FEO  an email today informing them of the problem and asking them to ensure it is dated correctly on their system.

Do you have your FEOs personal mobile number? If so, ring him/her and ask. 

Otherwise do as GRANGE  1905 earlier post suggests and lend a friends gun. 

Edited by Good shot?

I personally wouldn't worry based on my past experiences, you clearly are not at fault here! 

You have submitted your renewal on time and this has been granted but the paperwork is at fault. I assume you received an accompanying letter with the cert? This is proof that the renewal was granted in itself.

In reality there is nothing you can do to rectify the situation until Monday despite your best endevours.

Crack on with the pigeons and don't worry about it.

4 minutes ago, decoy1979 said:

I personally wouldn't worry based on my past experiences, you clearly are not at fault here! 

You have submitted your renewal on time and this has been granted but the paperwork is at fault. I assume you received an accompanying letter with the cert? This is proof that the renewal was granted in itself.

In reality there is nothing you can do to rectify the situation until Monday despite your best endevours.

Crack on with the pigeons and don't worry about it.

The only factor being that the police can seize your guns unless a valid in date certificate is produced. Yes, they can check the system on the radio, but I wouldn't rely on that.

15 minutes ago, Royboy said:

? the new certificate has the date  it was issued on 

11 minutes ago, Grange1905 said:

The only factor being that the police can seize your guns unless a valid in date certificate is produced. Yes, they can check the system on the radio, but I wouldn't rely on that.

Police officers are human and are more likely to check the database and take the explanation from the OP than they are to simply seize guns.

This is also based on the Police having a reason to be talking to the OP in the first place! Or is there a further conspiracy theory that shotgun certs are being issued purposely with invalid dates so that police officers can raid properties and seize guns..

What happened to good old common sense??

I’d just crack on. What are the chances of the rozzers turning up at your roost shoot? Even if they did and decided to check everyones tickets, not everyone will have their tickets with them so they would be faced with either seizing the firearms of all those there who didn’t have their tickets, or simply contacting HQ. 

Like I said, I’d just crack on and contact licensing on Monday. 

9 hours ago, Scully said:

Like I said, I’d just crack on and contact licensing on Monday. 

I'd do the same. You cant do anything over the weekend so get on the phone Monday morning and speak to them. You have done everything expected of you by checking and identifying the error, only problem is that there's noone to answer the phone. Send an email and tell them in the email you'll be ringing Monday morning.

Edited by Jbob

How many of us just open the envelope and sign the Certificate without even looking at the dates !

Sure there are a few out there that are incorrect and simply having a Certificate is not a guarantee that someone is actually licenced, as long as the database is correct then all should be fine.

I would crack on and ring Monday to explain that you have just noticed the error- after all, had the Certificate not arrived until Monday you would be out there shooting oblivious anyway

edit , just seen that your old one ran out at the end of Jan- bloody poor show in that if they haven’t given you a temp Certificate then surely sending you out the Certificate yesterday (2nd Feb) would have put you in possession without a valid Certificate anyway!

Then again, I was in that position once and worried about meeting thecrenawal deadline and the response was “ were stacked up, but it’s in process so it’s our responsibility and as far as we’re concerned your licensed as you did your part”

Edited by Jaymo

Just now, Jaymo said:

How many of us just open the envelope and sign the Certificate without even looking at the dates !

Sure there are a few out there that are incorrect and simply having a Certificate is not a guarantee that someone is actually licenced, as long as the database is correct then all should be fine.

I would crack on and ring Monday to explain that you have just noticed the error- after all, had the Certificate not arrived until Monday you would be out there shooting oblivious anyway

Most people forget to even sign them, many gun-shops play the "let's see how many we can catch game."

My son checked his new certificate some years ago and there were some glaring mistakes, he contacted them, returned it and received a correct reprint in a week with a small amount of grovelling from the office staff.